Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Addiction

Okay, I have been totally obsessing and reading /watching everything I can find about sugar and carbs.

I have realized that I am a sugar addict and the sleeve has not changed it. No matter how much I read about how bad it is for me, I still go for that cookie, or seek out that pastry. And let me tell you: they go down fantastically well.

Any tips from my fellow sugar addicts on how to kick this habit?

I know it's why my weight loss has been so slow..... I know better, so much better, but seems like sweets have power over me! Crazy that an object controls my behavior.

The sleeve has only limited the quantity I can have at one sitting, nothing else.

preop wt 240

surgery date wt 220

surg date 1/23/12

current wt 173

goal wt 120

Okay' date=' I have been totally obsessing and reading /watching everything I can find about sugar and carbs.

I have realized that I am a sugar addict and the sleeve has not changed it. No matter how much I read about how bad it is for me, I still go for that cookie, or seek out that pastry. And let me tell you: they go down fantastically well.

Any tips from my fellow sugar addicts on how to kick this habit?

I know it's why my weight loss has been so slow..... I know better, so much better, but seems like sweets have power over me! Crazy that an object controls my behavior.

The sleeve has only limited the quantity I can have at one sitting, nothing else.

preop wt 240

surgery date wt 220

surg date 1/23/12

current wt 173

goal wt 120[/quote']

What about some sugar free hard candies or lollipops? I bought ice cream flavored hard candy at the grocery. Actually it helped.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I know exactly how you feel. I feel so helpless when it comes to this and I almost feel worse since being sleeved. I don't wanna "fail" with the sleeve yet I have a compulsion to eat carbs and sugar. I keep saying I'm going to see a therapist but just can't bring myself to do it. My urge to eat is slightly worse with the sleeve than before. I'm starting to wonder how many others feel this way because I've posted about this before but didn't get many responses.

Pre-op 260

SW 251- 3/13/12

CW 209

I'm a sugar addict too. I use sugar substitutes. I know those chemicals are bad for you too. Someday I'd like to quit those too but, in the meantime it get's me by. I try to stick to low carb as much as possible to keep the cravings under control.

I went to a birthday party yesterday and there was an awesome looking birthday cake with thick chocolate frosting. I was able to resist. I guess, I want to lose weight more than I wanted the chocolate cake. I think occasionally it's ok to have a little treat once in a while but, if I can resist hopefully, I'll get to my goal quicker. Good luck.

Would it not stretch out your sleeve?

I too am suffering from sugar addiction- everyday I say no more

But i still fail- HELP!!

I only have 20 pounds to go and it has been slow

I know exactly how you feel. I feel so helpless when it comes to this and I almost feel worse since being sleeved. I don't wanna "fail" with the sleeve yet I have a compulsion to eat carbs and sugar. I keep saying I'm going to see a therapist but just can't bring myself to do it. My urge to eat is slightly worse with the sleeve than before. I'm starting to wonder how many others feel this way because I've posted about this before but didn't get many responses.

Pre-op 260

SW 251- 3/13/12

CW 209

I am so with you, I think to my self: I had my stomach cut out and I'm stilling failing! The studies show that the effect sugar has on our brain reward system is the same as herion/cocaine etc... so you are not alone and you are probably in the majority actually

I have a terrible time with sugar and carbs as well. I tried sugar free candies and chocolates, but found they just reinforced the habit of snacking.

For me, what helps the most is getting my eating back to really high Protein, really low carb (I aim for 40 grams or lower). The first few days are the hardest, but then the carbs are out of my system and the cravings go away. When I have the urge to eat, I try something like hot tea or iced coffee. For sweet treats I stick to protein-based things. For example, I buy the Click mocha protein, and make a mid-afternoon soft-serve with almond milk, a scoop of protein, and crushed ice in a blender. Or, I buy instant protein pudding and make that for dessert. But especially for the first 3-4 days of low-carbing I really have to watch anything with a sweet flavor or it leads me down the path to trouble. I know I'm going to struggle with this forever, but there are so many great low-carb, sugar-free recipe blogs out there, and I know I can make substitutes that will keep me from a carb/sugar binge but not leave me feeling deprived. It's a balancing act for sure!

Pre-op 260

SW 251- 3/13/12

CW 209

I am so happy to see this post because for the last 3 to 4 weeks I have been craving and eating nothing but sweets almost daily. I was 266 then 254 on surgery date 3/5/12 today I am 209. I thought maybe I was unconsciously messing up my progress. This is the smallest i have been in 19 years and i still have a ways to go. i will not allow myself to destroy what i have worked so hard for. I think I am going to go back to my south beach diet plan that my doctor had me do pre surgery. That way i can kick the cravings. Its just so good to know I am not aloe. I love this website :0)

Thanks everyone together we can help each other!!!!!

I am working on my Protein intake and I now drink crystal light that helps the sugar. I also have asked a friend to be my accountability partner. Everyday she knows what I eat which helps

thanks for your comments everyone. I wonder too about the sugar substitutes. I think they make me crave sugar. I have read some studies that show that these do cause sugar cravings: i.e. your brain thinks it got sugar that it didn't get and it will look for the calories that were suppose to come with that sugar taste---but they are not there and then it will try to make you consume those calories later.....

I do feel fake sugars do not help me and only feed this strong addiction I have. But thank you for sharing and making me feel that I have company in my struggle. There are so many success stories and I love to hear about them, but it also helps to know that there are others who struggle and there are some for whom the sleeve did not kill their brain's cravings for certain things. I lost my cravings for the first 2 weeks---I felt ill mostly, but they have been back since week three and are in full swing. I wish I was one of those sleevers that didn't think about food so much...

Fitforlife, you are correct that the brain thinks fake sugar is the same as real sugar. In fact, the consumption of sugar in the US has exploded after artificial sweeteners were introduced. After giving up sugar and caffeine, my next goal is to cut back on artificial sweeteners. I think my body will adjust and will no longer crave it. Things, such as strawberries, willprobably taste like dessert.

I am a sugar addict myself and though this surgery did not stop me from wanting sugar the amount I ingest has diminished immensely. I will have one or two hersheys kiss in the evening just to get my little chocolate in (I'm a major chocoholic) but it seems I'm basically good with that. I use a little of the sugar-free Syrup (sweetener) in my Protein shake so that gives me a little sweetness too. The only thing I really can't eat after this surgery is bread, Pasta, rice etc. I don't want that kind of food anymore which is great for me cause I was a carb junky too, I do wish that the surgery took away my sugar issue but I guess you can't have everything. I can say I don't eat not even close to what I used to consume so I am not guilty for the little I do eat. As for the artificial sweeteners, I know they are not healthy but for me it is a necessary evil Its like when I smoked I didn't eat a lot but when I quit I gain 50lbs in 4-6 months and if it wasn't for my bronchitis I would kept smoking to prevent the weight gain but I picked breathing over smoking and weight.

I had this surgery so I can still have a little of what I like to eat I just don't eat it all day long I give myself 5 minutes to enjoy something sweet then move on to something else. I don't think any surgery will take away all of our little demons from poking at us, we have to excercise that will power as well as our bodies! :P

Things' date=' such as strawberries, willprobably taste like dessert.[/quote']

This has happened to someone I know. I eats a very strict paleo type diet, and as a result fruit is all the dessert he ever needs.

I can't wait to feel like that...

This has happened to someone I know. I eats a very strict paleo type diet, and as a result fruit is all the dessert he ever needs.

I can't wait to feel like that...

I wish I could be content with only fruit. The only treat with fruit that I consider a desert is baked peaches which I love but I always have to add a little sweetener w/cinnamon so they are not so tart.