Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Full Feel Like?

After reading all the posts about "eating one bite too many", I'm starting to really worry about what signs I will need to be looking for so that I don't overheat. I'm seriously terrified of vomiting, I haven't done so in 39 years because of my irrational fear. I've been nauseated, but I've never puked. I would much rather feel like poo then to have to hug the porcelain throne. Hahaha!

I know everyone is different and all of that, but it would be helpful if some of the post-op peeps could share their experiences with me. What things can I do to prevent vomiting from overheating or anything else? How will I know I'm full; does it feel the same as before the sleeve? I've researched and read my handbook, but I havent seen anything concrete that I can put in my memory bank

Sorry I'm such a freak, but I have to get the puking monster under control before August 1st. :o LOL!

I think everyone is different. For me I must eat slow, and that has been hard for me to learn. I am also a NON-PUKER, But I have puked about 5 times, mostly within a 1 week period, and not until at lease 5-6 weeks out. For me its like I fill up a pitcher to full and it just overflows. The first time it came on so quickly I had time to yell to my husband to grab me something and I was unable to move. I don't heave its just like getting rid of the overflow.

My advice is eat slow, listen to your tummy. The full feeling is just like before so when it starts feeling full STOP! Because 1 extra bite is all it takes.

Good Luck & Don't be afraid of the puke, its going to happen :(

For me, I start to get uncomfortable, a feeling of tightness, and from experience if I eat beyond that it just wont go down, its sort of in the esophagus and if you burp (sorry if this is TMI) it is a wet burp so its clear your food has exceeded what can fit in your sleeve, I can at times walk it off but sometimes I just have to throw up so I can feel better. Vomiting with the sleeve is sort of different from before surgery, if you are taking a PPI there is no real stomach acid, and since there is so little in there there is no real force behind it, your chewed food just exits like it went down. A rule of thumb is not to consume over 4 oz in the early months, then slowly increase and see what you can tolerate. When I am full I have a few hiccups, some people get a runny nose...not sure why but with so much stomach tissue removed our sensors probably need time to adjust with messages back and forth to and from the brain. Hope this helps explain it from my perspective.

After reading all the posts about "eating one bite too many"' date=' I'm starting to really worry about what signs I will need to be looking for so that I don't overheat. I'm seriously terrified of vomiting, I haven't done so in 39 years because of my irrational fear. I've been nauseated, but I've never puked. I would much rather feel like poo then to have to hug the porcelain throne. Hahaha!

I know everyone is different and all of that, but it would be helpful if some of the post-op peeps could share their experiences with me. What things can I do to prevent vomiting from overheating or anything else? How will I know I'm full; does it feel the same as before the sleeve? I've researched and read my handbook, but I havent seen anything concrete that I can put in my memory bank

Sorry I'm such a freak, but I have to get the puking monster under control before August 1st. :o LOL!

[/quote']

90 days post-op, I've vomited four times. Twice I know I ate that "one more bite" and twice it was simply that the food was too rich. Not to be gross or anything, but I knew I was going to puke, I managed to make it to the bathroom, and.... Finished. No heaving, no gagging, no wretching. (I hadn't thrown up in about 30 years either.)

"Full" does not feel like it did before. I've learned now that I have to eat SLOWLY, and when I feel 'not hungry' anymore, I stop eating. It's part of the mental re-tooling that has to happen. My wonderful supportive husband suggested I write down all my rules about food (clean your plate; eat what's set before you; blah, blah, blah) and PLAN to break them all. That was sooooooooo helpful. Haven't puked in weeks and think I've got that covered now. =) The other important thing is that my tastes have changed. Big time. If I can only eat 1/2 cup at a time, I'm not wasting it at McVictims or Burger King. No. No. No. I don't crave like I used to, and I have stopped eating fat, sugar, and junk food without even really thinking about it. I love that I don't feel like I'm on yet another diet. There's no sense of deprivation or resentment.

Best advice I have for not puking is eat slowly and don't let your psyche win the "one more bite" argument.

CE

I'm 10 days out and haven't puked yet. #knock wood I measure my food and only take 4 ounces at a time. I can drink much more Water than that. I was trying to drink more Protein as well and found myself getting hot flashes, weak, and that I had to lay down. Then it finally dawned on me that I was trying to take in too much Protein at once. I have since cut back my Protein shakes to 4 ounces at a time and no more ill feelings. Hope that helps n

Sent from my iPad using VST

I'm 10 days out and haven't puked yet. #knock wood I measure my food and only take 4 ounces at a time. I can drink much more Water than that. I was trying to drink more Protein as well and found myself getting hot flashes' date=' weak, and that I had to lay down. Then it finally dawned on me that I was trying to take in too much Protein at once. I have since cut back my protein shakes to 4 ounces at a time and no more ill feelings. Hope that helps n

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

I had the same problem with the protein. Still not thrilled with it but mix it in the morning and spread it over the day. Now I'm also putting fruit in it and running it through the blender. That helped a LOT. I was determined to get enough protein to avoid hair loss, but in spite of vigilance, it's still falling out. Doctor says it's temporary, and he better be right. lol

CE

After reading all the posts about "eating one bite too many"' date=' I'm starting to really worry about what signs I will need to be looking for so that I don't overheat. I'm seriously terrified of vomiting, I haven't done so in 39 years because of my irrational fear. I've been nauseated, but I've never puked. I would much rather feel like poo then to have to hug the porcelain throne. Hahaha!

[/quote']

I had to tell you that I have not vomited!!! Not once!!!!!! Yay!!!! Yay!!! Yay!!!

I too have an irrational fear of vomiting. I explained my fear and I asked both my surgeon and anesthesiologist if I could have Zofran prior to and after surgery (June 25). They also gave me reglan and Pepcid intravenously to keep the new tummy calm and avoid nausea. Only once, the night of surgery, did I wake up feeling slightly nauseous and I immediately called for something. I got mildly nauseous twice at home, but I had a prescription for Zofran ODT (orally dissentigrating tablets). It's an antiemetic that doesn't make you sleepy, like phenergan can. I also found warm pure peppermint leaf herbal tea to be very soothing. (I personally prefer Twinings brand)

Please voice your fears to your doctors.

Best wishes to you!!

~Jane

I have not puked yet. In fact, I have to measure my food because I do not feel full after 4 ounces. However, I think I am full when I burp. When I am hungry an hour later I added in one more Protein Shake a day (3 a day) and that has kept me feeling satisfied.

The full feeling is like thanksgiving where you ate way too much. You definitely learn to eat slowww and 1 less bite. When I eat too much, I also get a runny nose and sometimes have a sneezing fit. Our bodies are a mysterious adventure.

I think everyone is different. For me I must eat slow, and that has been hard for me to learn. I am also a NON-PUKER, But I have puked about 5 times, mostly within a 1 week period, and not until at lease 5-6 weeks out. For me its like I fill up a pitcher to full and it just overflows. The first time it came on so quickly I had time to yell to my husband to grab me something and I was unable to move. I don't heave its just like getting rid of the overflow.

My advice is eat slow, listen to your tummy. The full feeling is just like before so when it starts feeling full STOP! Because 1 extra bite is all it takes.

Good Luck & Don't be afraid of the puke, its going to happen :(

This is a great visual and one that I'm writing down! I'm glad to hear the puking is somewhat peaceful! hahaha!

A rule of thumb is not to consume over 4 oz in the early months, then slowly increase and see what you can tolerate.

This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for! Thanks so much for sharing you experience and advice with me.

I am nearly 4 weeks out and haven't puked once. I weigh everything I eat and I'm diligent about not going over my ounces. I have had only 2 incidences where I had to get up and walk around because I felt full and both times I had rice. I think it depends on what you eat.

90 days post-op, I've vomited four times. Twice I know I ate that "one more bite" and twice it was simply that the food was too rich. Not to be gross or anything, but I knew I was going to puke, I managed to make it to the bathroom, and.... Finished. No heaving, no gagging, no wretching. (I hadn't thrown up in about 30 years either.)

"Full" does not feel like it did before. I've learned now that I have to eat SLOWLY, and when I feel 'not hungry' anymore, I stop eating. It's part of the mental re-tooling that has to happen. My wonderful supportive husband suggested I write down all my rules about food (clean your plate; eat what's set before you; blah, blah, blah) and PLAN to break them all. That was sooooooooo helpful. Haven't puked in weeks and think I've got that covered now. =) The other important thing is that my tastes have changed. Big time. If I can only eat 1/2 cup at a time, I'm not wasting it at McVictims or Burger King. No. No. No. I don't crave like I used to, and I have stopped eating fat, sugar, and junk food without even really thinking about it. I love that I don't feel like I'm on yet another diet. There's no sense of deprivation or resentment.

Best advice I have for not puking is eat slowly and don't let your psyche win the "one more bite" argument.

CE

Great advice, thank you so much!!! I'm experiencing the same things with cravings as I work on my pre-op plan. I'm finding that I'm becoming indifferent to food food as I mentally prepare for my surgery in a few weeks. I look as some of my favorite foods and I'm actually mad at them, because they were way too important to my survival than I'd like to admit. I'm looking forward to developing a healthy relationship with food as I work through some of my food issues.

I'm 10 days out and haven't puked yet. #knock wood I measure my food and only take 4 ounces at a time. I can drink much more Water than that. I was trying to drink more Protein as well and found myself getting hot flashes, weak, and that I had to lay down. Then it finally dawned on me that I was trying to take in too much Protein at once. I have since cut back my Protein shakes to 4 ounces at a time and no more ill feelings. Hope that helps

This is a great help, thanks!!! I'm encouraged to hear that you haven't been sick yet. Sounds like I need to go purchase some 4oz ramekins and use those for my meals until I can judge portions better.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I had to tell you that I have not vomited!!! Not once!!!!!! Yay!!!! Yay!!! Yay!!!

I too have an irrational fear of vomiting. I explained my fear and I asked both my surgeon and anesthesiologist if I could have Zofran prior to and after surgery (June 25). They also gave me reglan and Pepcid intravenously to keep the new tummy calm and avoid nausea. Only once, the night of surgery, did I wake up feeling slightly nauseous and I immediately called for something. I got mildly nauseous twice at home, but I had a prescription for Zofran ODT (orally dissentigrating tablets). It's an antiemetic that doesn't make you sleepy, like phenergan can. I also found warm pure peppermint leaf herbal tea to be very soothing. (I personally prefer Twinings brand)

Please voice your fears to your doctors.

Best wishes to you!!

~Jane

Jane, I read your quote and I thought I was going to cry! YAY for no puking!!! YAY for doctors that understand our irrational fears!!! YAY for meds that help!!!!

Your comments confirmed my thoughts to explain this fear to my doctors. I'm guessing with the hernia repair they are also doing they are going to be more than happy to keep the puking monster at bay! :P I'm going to write down the meds you mentioned and make sure we have a plan in place before surgery starts. Thanks so much for chiming in, your post has really encouraged me! <3