Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dad Almost Died From Sleeve

March 5 my dad had been sleeved and two days post op found two pin hole leaks. He was eventually put on life support for 3 Weeks with kidney, lung, and liver failure and was septic. after being in the hospital for over a month he was sent home on a feeding tube with stents covering the pin holes they had turned to nickel size holes. He had his feeding tube in til June and was not allowed to eat or dink anything at all. He lost over 100 pounds in 2 months. now 4 months post op he is barely allowed to eat pureed and there is a pocket that formed where the holes were do Dr is scared to let him eat. My dad is miserable and regrets having the surgery done even tho he would have died soon without it. Anyone else experience leaks or near death experiences like this? I was sleeved by same surgeon June 25th and recovery has been quick and amazing.

I dont think I could have same surgery w/ the same surgeon if i saw my dad end up like that. My surgeon has said twice in about 3000+ surgeries that he's done, he's had to convert from a sleeve to a bypass. It sounds like that's what you dad might be heading for. I hope he gets better, I think what he's going through is what I'm worried about for myself. I'm not worried about dying (weird yes i know). I'm REALLY worried about the in between, it's not life and it's not dead..

Do you mind if I ask how old your dad is? How much weight he needs to lose? What other health complications he had prior to surgery? I'm just wondering what other (if any) factors might have contributed to the problems he has had, especially since you had an uneventful surgery.

At first I was not going to have it at all after what my dad went thru there is a 1 out of 100 chance of this happening. We have an extremely close relationship with the surgeon now and I saw how involved he was with my dad and all the steps he took to keep him alive. The way I began to look at it was i'm going to die early from weight related issues or I could die from trying to do something about it. My dad is 51 and i'm 27 and in my heart I knew it was the right choice. But everyone takes that risk and it CAN happen to anyone. My dad was not aware of the risks because he was too excited to pay attention to anything except the fact that he was having surgery.

He had sleep apnea and was a drinker and smoker prior to surgery. The cause of the leak was the stapler slipping and it was the fact that he did not stop smoking before surgery that made it hard for him to heal. It was his and the surgeons fault. I quit smoking 8 Weeks before surgery. He was 370 pre op and today he is 250. Goal is 180

March 5 my dad had been sleeved and two days post op found two pin hole leaks. He was eventually put on life support for 3 Weeks with kidney, lung, and liver failure and was septic. after being in the hospital for over a month he was sent home on a feeding tube with stents covering the pin holes they had turned to nickel size holes. He had his feeding tube in til June and was not allowed to eat or dink anything at all. He lost over 100 pounds in 2 months. now 4 months post op he is barely allowed to eat pureed and there is a pocket that formed where the holes were do Dr is scared to let him eat. My dad is miserable and regrets having the surgery done even tho he would have died soon without it. Anyone else experience leaks or near death experiences like this? I was sleeved by same surgeon June 25th and recovery has been quick and amazing.

I am so sorry. How is he now? What are the doctors plans to help your dad?

Today he is great. He's healthy and looks amazing!! thank you!!!!!

Doctors are scoping him once a month to monitor the pockets. If all is good on the 17th he will be allowed solid foods finally

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he continues to improve.

I want to continue prepare and research until I have surgery. I know all the risks are in small print. Feel I have to still take a risk and go for it. Otherwise I am a walking dead man inside forever.

Praying for a full recovery.

Doctors are scoping him once a month to monitor the pockets. If all is good on the 17th he will be allowed solid foods finally

Woot!

Thank you. Yes it is something that has risks but what doesn't I would just think about the risk I was taking eating the way I was. I'm 11 days post op and have lost 18 pounds. Started at 252 now at 234 and it was worth risks to me.

I'm sorry your dad had to go through this. He may be regretting the surgery, but I bet he feels much better and will feel even better when he is on regular foods. It sounds like he is on the track to a successful recovery.

It's not the best way to get there, but he could reach goal within the next 6 months now... I'm sure he will eventually grow to appreciate the value that having this surgery has meant for him.

He had sleep apnea and was a drinker and smoker prior to surgery. The cause of the leak was the stapler slipping and it was the fact that he did not stop smoking before surgery that made it hard for him to heal. It was his and the surgeons fault. I quit smoking 8 Weeks before surgery. He was 370 pre op and today he is 250. Goal is 180

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he continues to improve.

I want to continue prepare and research until I have surgery. I know all the risks are in small print. Feel I have to still take a risk and go for it. Otherwise I am a walking dead man inside forever.

Praying for a full recovery.

The risks were laid out to me clearly. Any surgery is a risk. When I started reading the risks that I had to sign off on with my Dr. my head dropped in my hands and my heart started beating rapidly. then I thought about all of the risks involved with me being morbidly obese. I took the risk of surgery and signed off on the paperwork...the fine print and all.

I pray for all of us who have undergone the WLS that our bodies will heal and the weight will fall off and stay gone.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm sorry to here about your dad I'm

Praying that get better god bless you ...

They were for my dad and myself. He just paid no attention to it. Me on the other hand was researching and learning every chance I got lol I pray for anyone having surgery and pray for a quick recovery!