Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHat would be a guess of what normal drainage for 4 days post op? Just kinda weird yesterday there was about 30 cc and today maybe 5cc! I realize everyone is different and the goal is to have none! Just is kinda odd

Mine was taken out Monday and averaged 8 cc for one week.

WHat would be a guess of what normal drainage for 4 days post op? Just kinda weird yesterday there was about 30 cc and today maybe 5cc! I realize everyone is different and the goal is to have none! Just is kinda odd

The doctors took my drainage out before I left the hospital. But it was full some days and less on others. Maybe it depends on how much you drink? I am not sure if this is helpful.

So I have to be honest...I have the rapid pulse symptom of a leak only (150 at ER this morning)and I can't help but wonder if the drastic change could be that it's leaking inside and nothing there to come outside :( I'm a worrier too and have been very weepy today!

please explain the drain to me

Did they run tests at the er for a leak? I was back in the er day 5 with severe pain. Mri an ct scan showed everything was ok. If you are concerned call you dr or nurse. Even a support group leader. You need to be reassured you are ok. It is normal to have these fears. I am still dealing with emotions 11 days out. Praying comport for you. Hugs, angie

Did they run tests at the er for a leak? I was back in the er day 5 with severe pain. Mri an ct scan showed everything was ok. If you are concerned call you dr or nurse. Even a support group leader. You need to be reassured you are ok. It is normal to have these fears. I am still dealing with emotions 11 days out. Praying comport for you. Hugs, angie

Could it be gas?

Thanks Angie! No test for leaks! But my surgeon is the one that sent me in but for a poss blood clot that apparently isn't! Then when I called the office back after going to eR he was concerned but when I told him it went back down to 90 it seemed to calm him down! Thank you for the encouragement!

I was on this forum at least 10 times a day my first week. Members became friends and kept me sain knowing what I was feeling was ok both mrntal and physical. I never felt alone and there was always someone that was willing to hold my hand. If youre worried about anything or just need to vent this is the perfect place for it. Hang in there and take it hour by hour. It will get better I promise.

Could it be gas?

Not sure what my pain is. It is getting somewhat better but it keeps me from standing or walking much. Dr thought the drain may have been on a nerve but I would have thought it would have gotten better when it came out but hasnt. I have another appr in two weeks. Still taking Loritab luquid but only twice a day now.

I had rapid heart beat and it was dehydration. I wasn't getting in my full 64 oz. Which is very important.

what is the drain?

what is the drain?

The drain is a flexible tube the surgeon leaves in your abdomen to draw out any fluids that might be collecting near your incision. The end of the tube that hangs out of your body has a squeeze bulb attached to it that creates suction, thereby draining or slowly suctioning the accumulating Fluid out of your body. This is done to prevent infection. Not all surgeons use one. Some folks get theirs removed before being released from the hospital. Some folks get their removed in a week to ten days. It's really up to the surgeon how long it stays in. The drain is also called a "JP" drain. Google "Jackson Pratt" and you will find more information on how the drain works.

thank you