Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Gain Weight To Meet The Insurance Requirements?

I know this sounds really bad, but but did anyone gain to get approved?

Well, I have "heard" of people doing various things to make that minimum--like drinking a lot of Water before the weigh-in, slipping weights into bras/pockets/shoes, and yeah, gaining an extra couple of pounds in order to qualify. I personally barely made the cut-off, and while I didn't sneak any additional weights in my clothing, I will say that I didn't worry too much about what went into my mouth for a couple of weeks before my surgeon's appointment--just in case.

My mother did in order to get her gastric bypass covered.

Before you do that, just make sure your insurance doesn't require a weight history.

My insurance required a three year weight history so that would not have worked for me. I have gained a few pounds over the last couple of months though, I think from too many "last" meals. Anybody have that problem?

Doh - I'm doing that. I'm mentally not counting calories like I used because I'm telling myself that I'm going to get the surgery.

My insurance required 5 years history and they excluded the current year. I have United Health Care. Good luck.

Suggestion to call your insurance company and check what their requirements are..

I didn't gain weight for the insurance approval, but now I am trying not to lose too much more weight preop. I have lost 27 lbs. on the high Protein, low carb diet that my surgeon put me on and am in danger of going below 35 BMI. I was told that if I go below that the insurance co. may refuse to pay after surgery.

My insurance required a three year weight history so that would not have worked for me. I have gained a few pounds over the last couple of months though, I think from too many "last" meals. Anybody have that problem?

Flipflop....I have found myself doing this!! My surgery is on July 17th, and since I found out, I'm looking at EVERYTHING and eating it saying" This will be the last time I get to eat this" and I eat it with that outlook! I have put on 4 lbs since my first visit with my surgeon 2 months ago. I can feel it too! I usually always eat "low carb", but for the last week and a half, I'm eating everything! Very disgusted in myself, to say the least, I don't have any preop diet prior to surgery, but I am certainly keeping it low carb until day of surgery as I realized I am doing this to myself, I Surrender! LOL :wacko:

I've also been enjoying a "few last meals" but I've been paying for them elsewhere and watching quantities. I *WILL* succeed this time. I am SICK of the weight-loss roller coaster.

Better than fattening up like a sheep headed for slaughter,I slouched when my height was measured, download a BMi calculator and play around a little one inch makes a huge difference . At 6"4' 330 insurance was iffy. At 6"3' 330 they were happy to oblige.my approval letter came in less than ten days wishing me luck with surgery and informing me they would not pay for surgery related to skin issues.

When I checked my bloodsugar I realized that I cannot have anymore "last meals!" Back to reality. Now I'm just thinking about all of the wonderful stuff I'll be able to do when I'm thinner : )

I gained 15 lbs and had to stay there for 6 months. My insurance only required a BMI of 40 for 6 months. I wasn't letting 15 lbs keep me from getting this surgery.