Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I'm new to the board but have been lurking for a few weeks B) Lots and lots of great info to be found!

I'm going with Dr. Kim (Coppell) as my surgeon. I have my first NUT visit on July 19th. I'm doing the 3 month track and have insurance with Aetna. Anyone care to share their experience with Dr. Kim? Did anyone have Aetna and have their surgery with him? What was the process like?

Thanks! :)

Hi :)

I have a aetna and used Dr. Kim as well. I had no wait period other than his preop diet and availability at Baylor Trophy Club where I wanted the surgery. To be honest, I did not care for his personality at all during the two preop appointments. I had heard from people going into this that he didn't have the best "bedside manners" and tried to not let it bother me. Honestly, after the first visit I was mentally picturing myself choking him lol. However, I kept reminding myself that I was looking for the best surgeon with the best stats, not a new buddy to hang out with.

His staff is amazing, this cannot be stressed enough.

When you are ready for surgery, you will not be one of the people on here asking what you can eat and drink. You will have tons of info provided.

As for the surgery, mine went great. Up and walking a few hours later, never got sick, his staff visited a few times while I was there, next day went home and never took anymore meds.

Lastly, he is one of the strictest doc out there. No smoking for a month prior or ever again. liquid diet for 2-3 weeks before, HIS diet. liquids for another 3 weeks after surgery and then on to puree. Again, he is strict, but look up and ask him about his numbers.

ijam,

Thanks for all the great info!

He is a bit stand-offish, I agree, but I wasn't there to chit-chat and he answered all my questions and I feel really confident moving forward with him. A few years ago I considered having lap-band but turned out my insurance at that time had an exclusion so I didn't really pursue it. (Which turned out to be a blessing because now I have a much better surgery option with the sleeve!) The clinic I went to then was a pretty well-known one, especially for lap-band, and at my initial consult I didn't even get to meet the surgeon so I was impressed to actually meet Dr. Kim on my first visit!

You said you are with Aetna. Did you go through them for the surgery or did you self-pay? Just curious because it looks like you had your surgery really quickly after your initial consultation. I have to go through a 3-month track before they can submit for approval.

Anyways thanks so much for responding :)

I used Dr. Kim as well. Completely agree with previous post. He takes some getting used to however I went to him because I felt his numbers were better than other doctors I researched. Also, as stated above, his staff is AMAZING!! I came to him from out of town so we had a pre-op consultation via phone. Well, when we met in person, he said "oh, you are actually heavier than I thought you would be"!!!. I was a bmi of 35.2 when we met in person a couple of days before my surgery. My self-esteem was deflated to say the least when my BARIATRIC surgeon said this to me. I laugh now. His staff assured me that he didn't mean it in the way I thought and all said that I was on the smaller side of people getting the surgery. Very funny though to be told that by a bariatric surgeon of his experience. Excellent surgery skills and amazing staff. All worth it!

Thanks for sharing, jns! Very funny story! (maybe not at the time!)

When I first met Dr. Kim I thought to myself "geeze he looks so much older in person!" He looks all young and non-wrinkled on TV and on his website! Makeup and airbrushing aren't just for supermodels - LOL!!!

Thanks for sharing' date=' jns! Very funny story! (maybe not at the time!)

When I first met Dr. Kim I thought to myself "geeze he looks so much older in person!" He looks all young and non-wrinkled on TV and on his website! Makeup and airbrushing aren't just for supermodels - LOL!!![/quote']

He may have had that fixed recently lol.

Oops and yes aetna.. I actually had surgery scheduled twice (long story) and neither time was there a waiting period. Meet with nut, pshyc, and stress test, that was it. Approval request sent in on June 4th, on June 6th they were calling to schedule me.

Oops and yes aetna.. I actually had surgery scheduled twice (long story) and neither time was there a waiting period. Meet with nut, pshyc, and stress test, that was it. Approval request sent in on June 4th, on June 6th they were calling to schedule me.

Wow, you must have a great policy then! I hope I don't have to wait too long after the 3-month track is done... I have a BMI of 45 with HBP and sleep apnea, so I'm hoping I won't have any problems being approved.

BTW - Congrats on your success thus far! 50 lbs gone in 1.5 months is fantastic!!!!!!

Wow' date=' you must have a great policy then! I hope I don't have to wait too long after the 3-month track is done... I have a BMI of 45 with HBP and sleep apnea, so I'm hoping I won't have any problems being approved.

BTW - Congrats on your success thus far! 50 lbs gone in 1.5 months is fantastic!!!!!![/quote']

Yea, I have one of those evil "Cadillac" heath plans.

I gained a pound yesterday!! I got the OK to drink as much Water as i could and I think I drank more than my body could process in one day haha.

I also was a patient of Dr.Kim. I had a great experience with both him and his staff. He did not seem to talk to much, but again I went in with all my test results and labs so there was not much to talk about except my surg date. My surg went great and I went home with tons of instructions and advise. His pre-op diet was not so bad. I am almost three months out and have lot 43 pounds. I could not have done that on my own. He saved my life. Last week I was able to ride bikes with my kids!!!! Thanks Dr.Kim!

No, Dr. Kim is not the friendly, jovial type although he softened and spoke very kindly to me when he learned I was a cancer survivor. It kinda surprised me. Other than that he emphasized this is a tool, and that I have to change to make this work. But that he and his staff would help me. I was scheduled for surgery early June but because of an "episode" with the anesthesiologist, I was delayed until this Monday. I'm switching hospitals but not doctors because I have such confidence in Dr. Kim. I've also had good experiences with his staff. They absolutely know what they're doing and take care of things for you.

I was UnitedHealthcare but they received my documentation on a Thursday and I was approved the next Friday.

G.

G.

What are the nutritionist visits like? I have my first one next Thursday. Would like to know what to expect.

Also, did any of you have to do a psych visit? The checklist the staff gave me didn't have that one checked off so I guess I don't need to do it. I am going to double-check on that, however, because I've read that Aetna requires that.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I was self pay no nut doctor. The nutrition session was a group session for me. Just watch a video and sampled pre- op shakes and of course asked questions. Pam is her name and she was nice but in a group session some people just ask the stupidest things. Also she shows u an example of the sleeve size and you get to feel what the staples feel like. Good experience for me. The nut part is helpful and I did not understand that until after surgery....I could have used a couple of nut sessions to get me prepared for the first month. I stared off into space with a blank stare for at least two weeks. Good luck to u!

I used Dr. Kim as well but with UHC. I only met Dr. Kim at my initial preop visit and then again the morning of my surgery. I found him to be very strict and to the point but what impressed me most was that from him to any person on his staff I was assured 'where there is a will there is a way'.

After considering the lap band 2 years ago with another Dr. and getting all the way to scheduling the surgery only to realize even with insurance (same as I have now) I wouldn't be able to afford to be banded and had to cancel. 2 years later I go to Dr. Kim without really believing I would be able to be sleeved and voila 3 months from consult I was sleeved! And my surgery was covered 100% thanks to Dr. Kim being as strict and thorough as he is. Every test and study he requires and recommends is like a coupon or a discount reducing your copay and out of pocket max.

I have my 2nd post op visit this week and with that counted, I've only been to Dr. Kims office 4x.... But whenever I have a question, his staff is incredible. I really don't think you will be disappointed with your decision to use him. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using VST