Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm struggling with this. I need to dig up more research about whether or not PE/DVT has any sort of genetic predisposition.

My father was in an accident that left him hospitalized for months with *a lot* of surgeries (as well as broken legs, so he didn't even walk for the first month of his stay).

I know that alone put his risk for DVT/PE through the roof so it should have come as no surprise. I know a VSG that lasts much less time, is much less invasive, and allows me to walk afterward is different entirely from what he experienced so I can't compare. That said, he developed DVT around week 5 of his hospital stay despite his anticoagulants and had 2 pulmonary embolisms.

Watching that happen to him (I was with him for both), particularly the second one where he had to be not only intubated, but on a ventilator for days in ICU.. I'm really scared of something like this happening to me. I had to sign a release to put some sort of net above his liver after the second one.

I have been researching surgeons like crazy since I'm self-pay, but I'm wondering if maybe I should just come up with the extra $8,000 over to find someone local instead so I don't have a flight to worry about, as they can increase your risk of DVT/PE's.

Sorry for the novel, but does anyone know off hand if PE's could have a genetic component? Or what the occurrence rate of developing a PE is with a BMI over 40?

See if you can make a consultation appt with a local surgeon. I think they might be able to better allay your fears...

I had a DVT years ago when I broke my foot. So when I went for my consult for the sleeve, they recommended that they put in an IVC filter to make sure that no clots broke through to my heart or lungs. It was relatively simple, some surgeons go in through your leg and place the filter, mine goes in through the side of the neck. They removed the filter 3 months later, after a sonogram making sure there were no clots. The scaring is minimal, I am one year out now, and you can't even see the scar unless I point it out.

Not sure what they do in Mexico, but I know in the US they have procedures set up for this. I would go to a consult with a local doctor and then compare what they will do vs. the Mexican doctor and make sure you are comfortable.

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional info.

Good Luck.

Most docs give some sort of blood thinner before and after surgery like Heprin. Some

Even send you home with Lovenox for

Two weeks, plus the compression stockings and wraps they put on you in the hospital PLUS you will be up and walking which gets your blood flowing and keeps those nasty clots away. I've had DVTs and both times no PE and its usually not hereditary. There is a thing called factor 5, which is hereditary, but I think your dad would have been tested for that and you would have known. When all these posts say get up and walk after surgery, it's not just for gas, it's to prevent clots too!

Thanks all. I think I was just freaking out, which I think is normal considering the circumstances of what I went through with my dad.

My hesitation does make me think I should consider finding a way to fork up the extra cash for a local surgery, but we'll see.