Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Too Quickly

I have always been one to drink a large amount of Fluid. And with this heat (100+ here) it makes me even more thirsty. I always feel like I drink too fast. I'm only one week post op. Could this stretch my sleeve? And how do I make myself slow down?

Hiii!!! I am only 5 days post op..and as of today I can easily drink 16 oz of Water, Powerade zero and milk in 40 mins. I thought I wasn't going to be able to do that. I don't think that would stretch the stomach since it's over a 40 minutes period...but I'm not sure. How fast are you drinking? And how many oz?

If you add Protein to my milk or water, it takes hours for me to get 8 oz down. I just can't drink it. The taste is soooo different than before surgery. So I've been drinking 3-8oz cups of skim milk which has 8g of protein per serving. So I'm getting almost half of my recommend protein plus I eat yogurt so that helps. I just don't want to loose my hair!!!!!

Can you drink a lot of anything including protein?

I drink almost exclusively Water, especially that quickly. Protein supplements aren't agreeing with me post op. I actually am getting very little protein now, but my surgeon assured me that before it reaches a critical point I'll be able to eat more. I can easily drink 8 oz in less than 5 minutes. I'm just always so thirsty!

My doc said for the first 2 weeks Water is the main thing not Protein. I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't start tolerating the mixes soon...Hopefully when I can eat, I'll get meat in my diet and hope to be okay :/ I think we are some of the lucky few that can drink that much and not throw up!!!

Right now it's stressing the suture line of your stomach that you need to be worrying about. Thats why we're supposed to be taking small slow sips that first few weeks.to give everything a chance to heal properly with as little stress on it as possible. Not trying to scare anyone or anything. Just drink a few swallows at a time. That's what I did. Now I'm a few days shy of a month past surgery and when I drink I allow myself 4-5 swallows at a time and no more just to be safe.

And always remember, if you're ever in doubt about something, call your Doc and ask. that's what they're there for.

My Doctor said there is no such thing as too much Water after surgery. I was told because of the temps being at or over 100 he wanted me to concenterate on water more than Protein if i had to to prevent dehydration.

Hiii!!! I am only 5 days post op..and as of today I can easily drink 16 oz of water' date=' Powerade zero and milk in 40 mins. I thought I wasn't going to be able to do that. I don't think that would stretch the stomach since it's over a 40 minutes period...but I'm not sure. How fast are you drinking? And how many oz?

If you add Protein to my milk or Water, it takes hours for me to get 8 oz down. I just can't drink it. The taste is soooo different than before surgery. So I've been drinking 3-8oz cups of skim milk which has 8g of Protein per serving. So I'm getting almost half of my recommend protein plus I eat yogurt so that helps. I just don't want to loose my hair!!!!!

Can you drink a lot of anything including protein?[/quote']

I can drink that I don't want to I hope it's ok...

I can drink that much Water I don't want to stretch my stomach so should I slow down ??

I have always been one to drink a large amount of Fluid. And with this heat (100+ here) it makes me even more thirsty. I always feel like I drink too fast. I'm only one week post op. Could this stretch my sleeve? And how do I make myself slow down?

Good question I was wondering that too

Good question I was wondering that too

Also, I am not losing weight...why? It also seems like I"m able to put more away while eating. I don't want to get back into old routines....It's not like a lot, but today I ate a little more then what I have been. Is this normal? And, will I ever lose weight??

Also, I am not losing weight...why? It also seems like I"m able to put more away while eating. I don't want to get back into old routines....It's not like a lot, but today I ate a little more then what I have been. Is this normal? And, will I ever lose weight??

Hmmm, we probably need alot more information before we can help answer your question about when you'll lose weight!

When was your surgery?

What is your current food stage (liquids, mushies, soft foods, solids?).

Are you tracking what you're eating (carbs, Protein, calories, etc.)?

Are you exercising (depends on how far post-op you are...)?

Are you drinking enough water/fluids (at least 64 oz per day)?

If you're close to your surgery date (less than 2 weeks post-op) it's likely you've gained Water weight during your surgery. It can take up to 2 weeks to lose that "gained" weight and start losing from your pre-op weight.

If you can answer some of the questions noted above, I'm sure we'll be able to give you more insight into what might be going on with you (though of course, your best source of accurate information is your surgeon and nutritionist!).

Hmmm' date=' we probably need alot more information before we can help answer your question about when you'll lose weight!

When was your surgery?

What is your current food stage (liquids, mushies, soft foods, solids?).

Are you tracking what you're eating (carbs, Protein, calories, etc.)?

Are you exercising (depends on how far post-op you are...)?

Are you drinking enough water/fluids (at least 64 oz per day)?

If you're close to your surgery date (less than 2 weeks post-op) it's likely you've gained Water weight during your surgery. It can take up to 2 weeks to lose that "gained" weight and start losing from your pre-op weight.

If you can answer some of the questions noted above, I'm sure we'll be able to give you more insight into what might be going on with you (though of course, your best source of accurate information is your surgeon and nutritionist!).[/quote']

My surgery was June 19th. I am on soft foods, lot's of Protein, I'm eating what they told me to eat, they gave me a daily menu to follow, I follow it to the T, and sometimes I have the same things a few days in a row, due to it lasting for a long time. A can of Soup will last me a week. Every time I eat though, I get a headache. This morning was the worst.

I haven't exercised too much due to, every time I try to I get too weak. I use to get really winded, and today I did do a few reps with weights, and that was ok. Fluids, I drink plenty of that, between the protein and the Water, and SF popsicles. I'm gonna call the dr. tomorrow morning and see what they say. Yesterday was the first day that my ankles were a bit swollen. I hope one day I wake up and 10lbs will be gone. Sometimes I feel like I didn't have the surgery, other then feeling like crap....

All doc's are different, but mine is pretty strict about you only drinking 4-5oz per hour all day long. You do this by drinking 1 oz every 12-15 mins, not chugging. I have a 1oz plastic shot glass within reach at all times and my cell beeps every 12mins telling me to drink the 1oz. Paper work says this is for the first 3 weeks, but my post-op follow-up is tomorrow and the nurse said if my swallow test looks good they may allow me to drink a little faster (100+ degrees lately).

Good luck. :)

All doc's are different' date=' but mine is pretty strict about you only drinking 4-5oz per hour all day long. You do this by drinking 1 oz every 12-15 mins, not chugging. I have a 1oz plastic shot glass within reach at all times and my cell beeps every 12mins telling me to drink the 1oz. Paper work says this is for the first 3 weeks, but my post-op follow-up is tomorrow and the nurse said if my swallow test looks good they may allow me to drink a little faster (100+ degrees lately).

Good luck. :)[/quote']

actually, my dr. gave us 1oz cups also, I guess I should go back to them, but I went to see him a week after my surgery, and he said I was doing so good that I could start the puree food a week early. Maybe it was a bit too soon. We also had the x-ray done the next morning after surgery of the swallow test, all was fine there. I"m going to call them tomorrow to see why I get headaches. good luck to you, and hopefully things will get better for me soon.

actually, my dr. gave us 1oz cups also, I guess I should go back to them, but I went to see him a week after my surgery, and he said I was doing so good that I could start the puree food a week early. Maybe it was a bit too soon. We also had the x-ray done the next morning after surgery of the swallow test, all was fine there. I"m going to call them tomorrow to see why I get headaches. good luck to you, and hopefully things will get better for me soon.

If they give me the green light for mush food a week early tomorrow, the mini earthquakes y'all feel is just me dancing!!