Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Advice As To How To Keep Your Hair From Falling Out?

Hi All,

I am one week post op and I have noticed my hair seems a little dull and brittle. I already have thin hair and I would like to prevent any major hair loss/damange... does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Kitty

I dont think there is really anything you can do for it. I hear using Biotin helps but the doc says it doesnt really...not sure. I just started taking silica complex to help with the hair regrowth supposedly. I started losing hair about a month ago ( I am 5 months out on the 9th) and it seems to be slowing already...hopefully it keeps slowing! I didnt lose enough for anyone but me to notice tho and I have thjin hair as well. Good luck to you!

My nutritionist would say "protein Protein protein"!! Make sure you're getting plenty of protein...60-80 grams every day. Not only is protein critical for the healing process, and to ensure your body doesn't start burning muscle tissue, but it is critical to maintaining the health of your hair. Best wishes!

Same here... thin, fine hair already. My sister is a registered dietitian and she also said PROTEIN! I am taking Biotin and Vitamins to aid the process anyway!

Hi All' date='

I am one week post op and I have noticed my hair seems a little dull and brittle. I already have thin hair and I would like to prevent any major hair loss/damange... does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Kitty[/quote']

Also, I use keratin Shampoo. The keratin conditioner is awesome also. Get a product called Pearatin. It's time released keratin serum. It pumps keratin thru the hair shaft all day! I know salon products are pricey. I am able to use them because I used to cut hair and I still keep up with my license so I get my stuff thru a supplier but it's worth it! The Pearatin is amazing. It's made by Loma.

I tried everything... I mean everything. Nothing helped. I still lost 1/3 volume of my hair. It started at 3.5 months out and continued until 7 months post op. I have about an inch of regrowth at this point. My MD says it is typical after major surgery to lose a lot of hair. It may not necessarily be from the diet. So just prepare for the worst and you will get through it. I looked normal the whole time and i still do. It will be OK!

Protein is and was coming out of my ears. It will just happen pretty much no matter what you do at around 4-5 months and then grow right back again. It's not bad. From what I understand, the loss is from when your hair follicles were supposed to be producing hair back when you had the surgery and those few weeks of healing. Hair is ancillary to what you really need your body to do. Meaning: it was expendable, but things like making new blood cells are not.