Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved On The 27Th, And I Feel Strangely Good!

Hi All,

Greetings from the Sooner State! I'm one of the apparently large group who had VSG surgery on 27 June. My hospital experience wasn't stellar; I was more or less unable to comply with the requests to drink the little shot glasses of Water or to get out of bed on the day of surgery except to go to the restroom. I felt like crap but never nauseated - just listless.

I got to come home the evening of the 28th after passing my leak test and things have been consistently getting better since I walked in the door that night. I took one pain pill because I was sore but not overly so so I've avoided those since. I would definitely take them if necessary but since I got home I really haven't felt more than a few fleeting minutes of pain that passed quickly (probably gas).

My nutritionist/surgeon had me on clears until 48 hours had passed since the surgery, then I was able to add in shakes, skim milk and supposedly fat free cottage cheese. I have never been clear on exactly which of my supplements (multivitamin cap-gel, sublingual B12, Vit E cap-gel, Ester-C tablet and liquid Calcium Citrate) I'm supposed to be taking at this stage in addition to the news prescription meds prescribed by my doctor (Actigall, Protonix) but I'm taking them all. My new stomach has liked everything but the cottage cheese so I just took a couple of bites of that and will try again in a few.

Today my stomach seems to be making normal sounds/noises again - very much like what it did pre-surgery. I am up to 4-16.9 oz. bottles of water a day and will continue to add in Protein. But I do have a couple of questions...I'm curious as to whether it is common to "super glue" the incisions together? Anybody else glued instead of having steri-strips? Also, I have two good-sized dark bruises on either side of my lower abdomen, but not near any of the incision points. What are those from? I didn't see them until I got home and they are definitely more pronounced than any of the bruises associated with the incision points.

Glad to be on "this side" of surgery and looking forward to sharing the journey with you!

Barbi

I was sleeved on the 25th and my incisions are glued closed.

The bruises are probably from your anti-blood clot shots. Did you get any of those?

BTW, I wish I had your surgeon. I have to wait until Week Four before I get something as solid as cottage cheese!

I have surgical glue on mine too!

I had mine on the 27th aswell and I feel really good mostly too!

I was expecting alot worse but to my happy surprise a great beginning!

I have bruises too thats normal and three needle punctures from anti-clotting meds.

I was also sleeved on the 27th. I took pain meds the first day in the hospital and refused them the second day. I did have to take a dose when I got home due to the extra bumpy ride home. OUCH! I have been feeling pretty good since I came home. Yesterday (day 3) I got in 64 oz of liquids and 65g of Protein. I have steri-strips. The bruises are from the hephron (sp) shots that they gave you in the abdomin to reduce the chance of blood clots.

I am most surprised that I have felt no hunger since surgery. I'm not complaining, I actually enjoy not feeling hungry. I am also able to open Snacks and make food for my daughter without thinking twice about wanting any of it. Loving my sleeve!!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I was sleeved on the 25th and my incisions are glued closed.

I was sleeved on the 25th too! I had a band removal too so they did not let me come home till Thursday. I quit pain medicine at the hospital 2 days before coming home. Not taking any at home either. I have been pain free and sleeping on my side. My problem is I had such bad head hunger...I just want a bite because everything smells so good!

My incisions were glued, but I did not have the bruising you describe. I wasn't allowed cottage cheese until two weeks after my surgery and started the pureed stage. My nutritionist said not to worry about Vitamins and/or supplements at that point. They just wanted to make sure I was healing properly. Once I had healed, I became more focused on vitamins and making sure I was getting enough Protein.< /p>

Apparently some of us have a very uneventful experience. Welcome to the group. I woke up in so little pain I was convinced I hadn't been sleeved. I made the nurse read my chart. I never filled my pain script from the hospital. I guess we are just lucky or More so blessed. If only I could get the chewing thing. Two small bites and I am full.

Yes, there are quite a few of us with little pain and no problems, but I guess we don't post much because we have little pain and no problems. Welcome to the easy sleeve group. It only gets better...Kathe

Yes, there are quite a few of us with little pain and no problems, but I guess we don't post much because we have little pain and no problems. Welcome to the easy sleeve group. It only gets better...Kathe

^^^ Something to ALWAYS keep in mind when researching a topic on the net.

OP - At least you dont have all of these staples!! :)

The bruises are probably from your anti-blood clot shots. Did you get any of those?

That makes perfect sense! Thanks

BTW, I wish I had your surgeon. I have to wait until Week Four before I get something as solid as cottage cheese!

As I mentioned, the cottage cheese was a bit much for the new tummy, but I have read the instructions several times and it does say I can have it at this point.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments! I would have never thought of the Lovinox shots causing bigger bruises than the incisions. I'm happy to hear that my experiences so far are not that rare, and that many people don't have problems with the adjustment to the sleeve.