Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two weeks post op and I decided to come camping. I took all the correct foods, such as yougurts, pudding, Jello etc. well I decided that I didn't want any of that so I went out to eat. First I had clam chowder and that was fine, I would just dip my spoon and lick off the residue. Second night was a mess, I had about 4 wheat thin crackers with my Soup then ate about 4 fries from hubbys plate!! I also had more Soup than before. I totally feel fine but my fear is that I hurt myself without realizing as I dont feel any restriction. About three hours later I had 4 m&ms with t pretzel. I know I have control issues with food and i have to deal with it by going to support groups or even therapy!

Did you guys have have control issues? If so how did you deal with it?

Well, I just finished irritating someone else by making this suggestion, but I'm going to make it again.... I went and talked to a food counselor and I wholly recommend it. Find someone that specializes in eating disorders and work through this stuff with them. I had food addiction issues in the past, so I was worried that I would end up seriously injuring myself if I had this surgery. It was the best thing I ever did. Now I'm sleeved and I feel completely in control of my cravings. I know how to deal with my Head Hunger and I'm really disciplined. I even rocked out my pre-op diet. There are tons of support groups (like Overeaters Anonymous), too. Let's face it, if everyone here was always in control of our relationship with food, we wouldn't need this surgery!

If I can help you find a therapist or group near you, let me know. I'd be glad to help!

Minckle thanks for that suggestion I never heard of a food counselor. I am with kaiser so I will have to ask them if they have someone who specializes in food addictions.

I greatly appreciate all suggestions and comments! :-)

Minckle---I live in Dallas & also used Dr Nick. Did u find any support thru his Wednesday night monthly meetings? Who was your counselor (if u don't mind me asking). Did u like Dr Nick?

Thx!!!

I agree that you should talk to a food counselor. I'm sure you worked hard to get the sleeve. There are some things that have helped me... you should know I didn't tell anyone except my husband that I've had this procedure done. anyways, i have told my children that i went away to diet camp. i was required to have 6 months of diet counseling prior to the surgery. my family kicked and screamed a bit a long the way but by the time i went to surgery our house was cleaned out of junk food and high fat foods, etc... completely. the surgery isn't a miracle maker. we have to buy into it and i think it really helps to get the family involved in learning to eat more healthy. i started with the lists the nutritionists gave us in the sessions. there was a healthy girl list. it listed everything from whole wheat everything to low fat every thing. it sounds like maybe your family needs this food overhaul??? my husband used to eat chocolate bars every night and loved his cheetos. every time i sent him to the store he would come home with junk food. now our fridge is full but it is full of every kind of fruit imaginable. absolutely zero junk food. to start with i'd suggest going back to your paper work from meetings with the nutritionist. dig them up and start overhauling your family's eating habits based on that. yes, me, too... our family needed it. they bought into it to support me but also because it helps them learn to earn more healthy long term. it really really helps. i recently went to my two week post op check up and heard my doctor bluntly tell another patient... are you going to go through all of this and do this to yourself for it not to work? you have to follow the plan, eat right and exercise so do it. okkkkkkkkk so that was last weekend. tomorow is a new day : )

Newlook thanks so much for your suggestion. There are some items that need out of my kitchen thats for sure! Another thing I need to work on is eating out... That has been such a big part of my life that I find it hard to give up.

Thank you for taking time to offer your advice.

my family likes to eat out ethnic food. i know in the nutrition classes they say STOP going to fast food restaurants. i did/we did. but eating out is a social thing. so my plan is to set myself up for success. when we go out it will be something like sushi because we can eat the sashimi... a couple pieces are packed full of Protein. if we go out for pad thai I split an order with my daughter. she gets ALL of the noodles. the broth is amazing. and i eat some veggies. don't go out for pizza or a burger joint. or??? this whole thing is like a mind game. lol. we have to create new habits and make healthy choices from here on out. out with the bad. in with the healthy every day. that doesn't mean we wont' have a day here and there where we don't eat a little something we probably shouldn't... i read on here from a lady who had lost 100 pounds that she ate two pop tarts for Breakfast one day. lol. if we have healthy habits 30 out of 31 days and then maybe eat something sinful on that 31st day i don't think the world is going to end. : ) keep going!

oops i didn't mean phad thai. i mean pho.

Pho is just the best meal ever created- I can eat noodle free chicken pho for days! I lived on it for many days a weeks post op!

Don't feel ashamed. What's done is done. If you are like me, you wasted too many years feeling ashamed of your body. Those days are over. We are moving in the right direction. That being said, PLEASE be careful and follow your post-op diet. It is so important in these first few weeks to ensure proper healing. Remind yourself why you had your surgery, and keep focusing on the new goals you have set for yourself. You can do this!

Oh man I hear ya, I haven't "cheated" or anything, but I still feel like my head hunger is getting the best of me. I sooo badly just want to eat something bad, but I keep telling myself I did not go through this surgery for nothing! There is a reason I'm doing this. I think I may look into that food counseling as well.

Thanks ladies! Well, I was feeling ashamed on Saturday when it happened. I was hopping that this post would drown where no one else would read it! hehe! Now I am ashamed for being ashamed! Geesh!

Newlook, I truly TRULY need to stay away from burger and pizza joints! they are my weakness! I crave pizza like crazy but I know dough could be very bad for my brand new sleeve. Thanks for posting and appreciate your input.

Noexcuses.. your name says it all! and I agree, I need to stay focus. It was a moment of weakness and I needed some type of input. Thanks!

Pkehrer, it is no nice to relate to someone. I do not know anyone who has had WLS. I left my doc a mess about a food counselor, I hope to hear from her soon!

My family is learning a long side with me. Just yesterday I had to tell my husband that he forgets that I had this surgery. Though he is highly supportive, he tends to say okay when i want to go out to eat, I really wish he would put his foot down and say NO! to me every once in while. I have to gain control too!