Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Day 4 & I Have Serious....

HEADEACHES.... Im not taking any medication .. not even the pain meds ( no lortab). Its terrible & Im not sure if its normal to have such terrible headaches..

I'm wondering... Have you been on meds before surgery and are in withdrawal? Withdrawal headaches are a pain. Literally.

I do take an antidepressant, but I only stopped taking it the night of surgery. Ive been back on them since day 2 & felt fine. I just came home today. About an hour after I came home the headache started

It could be you're dehydrated? Are you getting enough fluids?

im afraid of that myself. im just having my 1st shake & I know im not getting enough Water. its very hard cause i feel full, but i guess i have to buckle down & keep drinking.

I too had the headache. It caught me by surprise too. Thankfully mine started when I was in the hospital and stayed an extra day. The one thing they tried was a caffeine pill. It noticed no major difference but they tried as many people can suffer with a headache depending on when they cut their caffeine off. I had been off for a month at that point. They also checked by blood pressure a lot. You may want to try that to see what is going on. In addtion the one thing that helped was a cold wash cloth over my eyes. It was the only way I could sleep for two days. I did take my perscribed pain med too - even though I did not need it for surgery pain, but it did cut the headache. Hope one of these helps. It was no fun!

I too had a headache, at first I thought it was the Loratab. It only lasted for a week and then went away, but that was also when I was able to drink my Protein Shake and 4 bottles of Water. So you may just be dehydrated. Try to sip slowly all day. Hang in there it does get better. I am only 11 days out and fell great. Just head hunger. :(

You got some good suggestions here for what it might be: caffeine withdrawal, pain killer side effect, blood pressure, dehydration. Best thing to do is take your blood pressure if you can, and keep sipping away. Also, what about allergies? I know the grass pollen is high where I live. Have you been exposed to seasonal allergies? Hope you feel better soon.

I am post-op day 5, and I have been suffering from the worst headaches of my life. In my case, I think it is from the pain meds (vicodin). It gives me horrible nightmares, which make me clench my jaw when I sleep, which causes headaches. I stopped taking the vicodin because I can deal with stomach pain over headaches. Good luck to you!

The one thing they tried was a caffeine pill. It noticed no major difference but they tried as many people can suffer with a headache depending on when they cut their caffeine off.

I was a serious coffee drinker for years, never did like sodas. When I stopped for 3 or 4 days I thought I was actually getting Migraines because I could not figure out what was causing them and how severe they were. My wife had me try some coffee and within a hour it was gone. Never new just how dependent on caffeine I had become.