Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"so How Much Weight Have You Lost?" Rant

I understand what your talking about. . when i first had my surgery and returned to work after 2 weeks, one of my co-workers peeked into my office and stated "hey I thought you had surgery!" I told her yes I did, she said "so how come you haven't lost all your weight yet?" what a dumbass I thought. . . but ignorance is abundant everywhere and I just considered the source and flicked if off like bird poop. . . .

I understand what your talking about. . when i first had my surgery and returned to work after 2 weeks' date=' one of my co-workers peeked into my office and stated "hey I thought you had surgery!" I told her yes I did, she said "so how come you haven't lost all your weight yet?" what a dumbass I thought. . . but ignorance is abundant everywhere and I just considered the source and flicked if off like bird poop. . . .[/quote']

I go back to work tomorrow. Lol.

My Mom is the worst at this! I have lost 62 lbs in 3 months. She told me on the phone that it must be frustrating to "slow down". Slow Down!?! That is 20 Pound a Month! I said I am not one bit frustrated. That I am thrilled with my progress. That I think she thinks I should have lost 100 lbs. already. "No, I don't think that..." she says. Yeah, whatever. Her comments prove otherwise. I am not going to let her get to me. I am happy she is 1,400 miles away and I don't see her or have to deal with her every day. I am so thankful for this surgery. It is an amazing tool. I Love my sleeve. I think we need to IGNORE these people and get on with our lives! ;) Keep up your great work!!!!

62 lbs in 3 months is awesome! What would make your mother think this was "slowing down"? I hope I do half as well.

I have lost 60 lbs total so far. My husband and daughter are the only ones I tell... some of my friends that are nurses have asked in a sensitive way and I have told them..... But I am not real open about the numbers... what you see is what you get.

I am EXTREMELY discouraged. I got my sleeve on June 12th. I first GAINED TEN POUNDS just in the 2 & 1/2 days in the hospital having only ice chips!!!

NOW, THREE WEEKS and a few days later- I AM ONLY TWO POUNDS LESS THAN MY PRE-SURGERY WEIGHT.

I'M AFRAID THIS SURGERY WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I HAD COMPLICATIONS. I'M IN ***CONSTANT*** PAIN. I CAN'T LIVE ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE TO A NORMAL LIFE.

AND ALL THIS PAIN FOR WHAT?????????????? TWO MEASLY POUNDS?????????????????

SCREW THAT. SCREW THIS. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO DEPRESSED AND DISCOURAGED IN MY LIFE!

AN OLD FRIEND THAT I ALMOST NEVER TALKED TO ASKED AND I WAS PISSED.

NOT ONLY AM I ONLY 2 POUNDS LIGHTER AFTER MORE THAN THREE WEEKS OF liquid MUSH, I HAVE A ***MASSIVE DENT*** ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY ABDOMEN.

SO, PRE-SURGERY, I WAS FAT, UGLY, AND STRETCH-MARKED.

NOW, POST SURGERY, I AM FAT, UGLY, STRETCH-MARKED, and ***DEFORMED***.

I'M UTTERLY MISERABLE.

I am EXTREMELY discouraged. I got my sleeve on June 12th. I first GAINED TEN POUNDS just in the 2 & 1/2 days in the hospital having only ice chips!!!

NOW' date=' THREE WEEKS and a few days later- I AM ONLY TWO POUNDS LESS THAN MY PRE-SURGERY WEIGHT.

I'M AFRAID THIS SURGERY WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I HAD COMPLICATIONS. I'M IN ***CONSTANT*** PAIN. I CAN'T LIVE ANYWHERE EVEN CLOSE TO A NORMAL LIFE.

SCREW THAT. SCREW THIS. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO DEPRESSED AND DISCOURAGED IN MY LIFE!

NOT ONLY AM I ONLY 2 POUNDS LIGHTER AFTER MORE THAN THREE WEEKS OF liquid MUSH, I HAVE A ***MASSIVE DENT*** ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY ABDOMEN.

I'M UTTERLY MISERABLE.[/quote']

Have you discussed this with your surgeon? Maybe he will need to revise it for some reason or another.

If you can't eat at all or very little your body may be in starvation mode and will hold on to all your fat. Make sure you get enough j Protein too...I've heard of people not getting all their Protein in and not being able to lose.

Keep us posted maybe someone here will have a good solution to your problem. I hope you feel better soon.

I told just my mom and step dad and told them it was only for them to know, well, now my entire family knows. I am sad about it but I can't change it. :(

NOW' date=' THREE WEEKS and a few days later- I AM ONLY TWO POUNDS LESS THAN MY PRE-SURGERY WEIGHT.

I'M UTTERLY MISERABLE.[/quote']

I can't comment about your lack.of weight loss, but I can comment about the pain and about the dent. I'm just a bit ahead of you. I had surgery on June 5th. My dent has just recently smoothed out. I had bad issues with pain and just became free of pain 2 days ago....on my 4th week post op anniversary. Hang in there! It will get better. Call your doctor and speak to them about your lack of weight loss. Good luck to you.

Wow is really all I can say here. . .you really didn't expect to lose everything all at once did you? This surgery takes time, over 1 year if not more to lose the weight. You probably gained 10 lbs in the hospital from all those IV fluids and swelling. That is definately a normal occurence with most folks. Your probably still swollen from surgery now. . . stop weighing yourself and just follow the doctors plan for you. . . in the beginning i really hated this surgery but am so happy with myself now. Your NOT Ugly! stop that kind of hate talk, that won't help any and may i just say one more thing. . . pull up the big girl panties and get on the wagon, the surgery is done and there is no turning back, so all you really can do now is work with it. . . sorry if i offended you but a helpful and caring person doesn't kiss butt and i say it how it is. . .good luck. . . (I'm ready for my lashings now)

Obviously* I did not expect to lose it all overnight. I did expect to lose at least 20 pounds my first month. My neighbor across the street got the same surgery and I have watched her drop weight like crazy.

I NEVER expected to be days away from a month out and only 2 pounds down.

I NEVER expected to be this utterly miserable.

And I AM ugly. I took one very dark picture here in the best possible angle.. took about 20 pics before I got that one. What I really look like is thoroughly disgusting. And now, I am thoroughly disgusted that I ever got this surgery.

And for anyone who wants to talk about "INNER BEAUTY" let's think logically for a moment:

***If a man could choose to have "INNER BEAUTY" inside of a fat and ugly body--- OR have "INNER BEAUTY" inside of a Victoria Secret model's body THERE IS NO CONTEST.

Life sucks when you are fat and ugly.

And not only do I not have the money for any plastic surgery, but there is NO amount of money that could even begin to fix me. I am stretch-marked ALL OVER.

Now I am tortured all day long, in pain, can't eat, NOT EVEN LOSING WEIGHT-- for what?????????

Wow is really all I can say here. . .you really didn't expect to lose everything all at once did you? This surgery takes time, over 1 year if not more to lose the weight. You probably gained 10 lbs in the hospital from all those IV fluids and swelling. That is definately a normal occurence with most folks. Your probably still swollen from surgery now. . . stop weighing yourself and just follow the doctors plan for you. . . in the beginning i really hated this surgery but am so happy with myself now. Your NOT Ugly! stop that kind of hate talk, that won't help any and may i just say one more thing. . . pull up the big girl panties and get on the wagon, the surgery is done and there is no turning back, so all you really can do now is work with it. . . sorry if i offended you but a helpful and caring person doesn't kiss butt and i say it how it is. . .good luck. . . (I'm ready for my lashings now)

Obviously* I did not expect to lose it all overnight. I did expect to lose at least 20 pounds my first month. My neighbor across the street got the same surgery and I have watched her drop weight like crazy.

And I AM ugly. I took one very dark picture here in the best possible angle.. took about 20 pics before I got that one. What I really look like is thoroughly disgusting. And now' date=' I am thoroughly disgusted that I ever got this surgery.

And for anyone who wants to talk about "INNER BEAUTY" let's think logically for a moment:

***If a man could choose to have "INNER BEAUTY" inside of a fat and ugly body--- OR have "INNER BEAUTY" inside of a Victoria Secret model's body THERE IS NO CONTEST.

And not only do I not have the money for any plastic surgery, but there is NO amount of money that could even begin to fix me. I am stretch-marked ALL OVER.

Now I am tortured all day long, in pain, can't eat, NOT EVEN LOSING WEIGHT-- for what?????????

[/quote']

Wow. I hope you feel better soon. The pain should be subsiding soon. Comparing weight loss to others is not healthy, and just plain wrong. I hope when your in less pain and you see the weight is coming off, I hope your perspective about yourself and the procedure improves. This surgery works on how we look in the mirror, but not how we see ourselves. All I can say is try to channel all your energy into a positive attitude. I hope and wish nothing but the best for you.

And I AM ugly. I took one very dark picture here in the best possible angle.. took about 20 pics before I got that one. What I really look like is thoroughly disgusting. And now, I am thoroughly disgusted that I ever got this surgery.

With all do respect, have you thought of counseling? It sounds to me as if you have self-esteem issues you expected surgery/weight loss to fix. You mention being ugly with stretch marks and that you had to take 20 pictures just to get your profile picture. Surgery didn’t do that to you. Those things existed the day you had surgery. Your face is still the same as the day you had surgery you’re your stretch marks would be too since you haven’t lost any weight. As to how you are feeling since surgery. Do you really think you are going to feel the way you do at this exact moment for forever and that you will never lose any weight and that this will all be for nothing? Healing takes time. And, if you aren’t cheating your sleeve, it is impossible not to lose weight. Have you contacted your doctor about this? Have you been documenting what you eat/drink? If so, see a nutritionist. I think though you really need to consider getting help from a therapist or psychologist. Weight loss isn’t a cure for the issues going on in your head, issues that obviously existed prior to surgery such as the look of your face and your stretch marks. Heck, the stretch marks may get worse as you lose weight and as is with a lot of people who lose a lot of weight, you may have sagging skin. Did you consider all this before you had surgery because it is a reality for most? You need to be able to deal with all of your imperfections….the ones you have now and the ones that may develop as the result of weight loss. You make a comment about there being no contest that a man would choose inner inside a Victoria’s Secret model’s body over inner beauty in a fat and ugly body. Did you expect that Victoria’s Secret Body? If not, did you consider that yours will likely have the same, if not more stretch marks, than you had the day of surgery or that you may have excess skin that hangs? Again, you need to be able to deal with this from an emotional standpoint and it certainly doesn’t sound like you are in a place to do so. Please take care of yourself and get help if you need it. Best of luck to you.

Awesomely said back to Amy....couldn't have said it better. Hang in there and see if you can get some help, you will get through this.

With all do respect, have you thought of counseling? It sounds to me as if you have self-esteem issues you expected surgery/weight loss to fix. You mention being ugly with stretch marks and that you had to take 20 pictures just to get your profile picture. Surgery didn’t do that to you. Those things existed the day you had surgery. Your face is still the same as the day you had surgery you’re your stretch marks would be too since you haven’t lost any weight. As to how you are feeling since surgery. Do you really think you are going to feel the way you do at this exact moment for forever and that you will never lose any weight and that this will all be for nothing? Healing takes time. And, if you aren’t cheating your sleeve, it is impossible not to lose weight. Have you contacted your doctor about this? Have you been documenting what you eat/drink? If so, see a nutritionist. I think though you really need to consider getting help from a therapist or psychologist. Weight loss isn’t a cure for the issues going on in your head, issues that obviously existed prior to surgery such as the look of your face and your stretch marks. Heck, the stretch marks may get worse as you lose weight and as is with a lot of people who lose a lot of weight, you may have sagging skin. Did you consider all this before you had surgery because it is a reality for most? You need to be able to deal with all of your imperfections….the ones you have now and the ones that may develop as the result of weight loss. You make a comment about there being no contest that a man would choose inner inside a Victoria’s Secret model’s body over inner beauty in a fat and ugly body. Did you expect that Victoria’s Secret Body? If not, did you consider that yours will likely have the same, if not more stretch marks, than you had the day of surgery or that you may have excess skin that hangs? Again, you need to be able to deal with this from an emotional standpoint and it certainly doesn’t sound like you are in a place to do so. Please take care of yourself and get help if you need it. Best of luck to you.

I obviously have issues with the body I am trapped in.

I got the surgery to hopefully relieve horrific arthritis pain that is unbearable.

This is a "RANT" area, so I started ranting.

How do you cheat a sleeve??? I have been back into the hospital THREE TIMES now since surgery because I can't even get enough Fluid in to sustain life!!!

I have been in unbearable pain since the surgery, scarcely able to get in enough fluids to live- let alone get all my Protein in!!!

Of course I don't expect to get a Victoria Secret model's body- I was making a point about how people say "inner beauty" is all that matters- but THEY ARE WRONG. Give any man the choice between inner beauty in a fat and ugly body or in a VS model's body-- and NO CONTEST. Was just making a point.

I am WELL AWARE that I will be MORE DEFORMED after losing weight (that is IF my body gets in line and starts losing!). I *already* had sagging skin. I will be utterly atrocious if I lose more weight. But I HAD to try because of the arthritic pain in my back, knees, hips, and feet.

I have an elevated sedimentation rate in my blood and a slightly elevated rheumatoid factor, and brain lesions (not big enough to be M.S.- but they don't know what they are)... amongst other physical problems. Doctors are convinced I have an auto-immune, or two- but they cannot figure out which one(s). Apparently, 5-10% of people with auto-immune disorders do not carry the identifying antibodies to make diagnosis possible. And I suck and get to be in that minority. And if they can't diagnose properly- then they can't TREAT properly.

I can only assume whatever auto-immune disorder(s) I have, are wreaking havoc in my body now. My surgeon discovered I have an abnormal spleen during surgery, it was enlarged, bigger on the top than the bottom. He also said my organs were all squished together weird, which made surgery especially difficult.

Again, this section said it was for ranting, so I was ranting, getting things off my chest.

Good day.

I never had issues revealing that I underwent WLS to people I know. I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and am getting out more, resuming my regular life and the one question that's starting to burn me is, "so how much weight have you lost?" with this wide eyed expression. When I say 20 or so, they almost get this disappointed look. Did you think I was going to lose 100lbs in 2.5 weeks?! WLS is a tool not a magic pill. It takes months and years and WORK to pull down those types of numbers.

I had to get that off my chest! Have a happy Saturday!

OMG this is so me. At four months out, I've only lost a total of 35 pounds since surgery and people are like "that's all?" I'm an incredibly slow loser but I've also had a lot of health issues which I know have contributed to this. I'm like, hello, at least I've lost the 35 pounds, thank you very much.