Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op......diarrhea

Ok sorry to be so blunt on a delicate topic. I am 4days post op and have diarrhea with everything, broth, juice, Popsicles, chicken Protein broth. Ha anyone else experienced this? How long does it last?

As everyone here usually says.....liquid in, liquid out. Kind of a gross way to say it, but it is true. This is completely normal while you are on the liquid/very soft foods after surgery. The problem should stop once you switch over to solid foods. Good luck on your journey and welcome to the losers bench!

Thank you. I was worried I had Montezuma's revenge after having my surgery in Mexico.

If you are taking a post-op antibiotic, you may need a pro- biotic to re-establish healthy levels of intestinal flora that get killed of by the meds.

I suffered a lot with diarrhea during the first couple of weeks. Then I bought some Bio-K pro- biotic ( the soy version, as I thought I had become lactose intolerant.... which I had not, thank goodness). I was MUCH better, even after one dose

Probiotics do work wonders. So does Immodium, if it really becomes a problem.

Yup exactly ....as soon as I started puréed foods at 2 weeks , things got much better!!

I'm glad this was posted. I'm sure there's been other posts but it's right to the point and exactly what I wanted to know, too. I was on liquids pre-op and didn't have this problem but I figure it's like this now because everything is entirely flushed out and now it's only, as trueblood22 put it, liquid in and liquid out. Haha.

Two things to consider:

If it's getting worse and smelly, be sure to call your doctor. Sometimes you can pick up a bad bug and they want to know ASAP. There is a simple test to see if is something like that.

If it's more than 2-3 times per day, you might be lactose intolerant. It's fairly common post-op. I could not tolerate dairy products, including many whey Protein powders right after surgery. I switched to unjury Protein powder mixed with Water, Water, and tea until it settled down.

Lynda

Thanks for bringing up this subject... good info to know and be aware of. 70 days until surgery... yeah!

This happened to me my first three weeks it was just horrible. Sometimes I didn't think I was going to make to the bathroom in time. But it does eventually pass. Make sure your drinking lots so you don't get dehydrated.