Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Define A Stall?

I've been reading the posts and see a lot of people talking about having a stall but I'm not sure exactly what that is. I'm sure it means different things to different people. For me, I know that 2 weeks pre-TOM stops my weight loss and that as soon as TOM kicks in so does the weight loss. So I don't consider that a stall. I know it's hormonal. I haven't had a stall since surgery (knock on wood) but I'm sure at some point I will. I'm thinking at least 4 weeks without a loss would be a stall. That's how I would define it.

So how do you define a stall? How many weeks? Do you factor hormonal issues into that? Or is it just flat out not losing weight with or without a hormonal shift?

I actually define a stall as my NUT has sort of defined it. No weightloss in one week. So I've had two stalls so far at eight weeks out. But, it seems that as soon as I hit that seven day mark (so far), the next day I've lost a pound or two. I'm perimenopausal so my TOM only comes every four months or thereabouts, so hormones haven't played a role - yet!

Your nut defines a stall as no weight loss in a week? I think that's a bit harsh.

I've dieted pre-surgery 6 months pretty seriously at 800 calories 80 grams of Protein and 45 carbs. I had a hysterectomy so I don't get the hormonal issues others get, I watched my sodium everything.

I had days I gained 2 or 3 pounds. Then a few days later lost 6. I don't consider the gain important or a stall. If I know I'm doing what I am suppose to be doing, there are days that you have Water weight gain, or something is not flowing exactly right. There are days your body decides to hold onto everything too. Sometimes upping my calories or adding more carbs will help me eliminate the extra weight.

I have a few days that go by without losing an ounce per my my scale, then I will lose a pound. I am sure I will have days that I go up 1/2 pound because of lack of bm or Water retention.

I would consider a stall 3 or more weeks, then before I call it a stall I will go through my fitness pal and check to make sure I am doing what I'm suppose to be doing, then I would measure myself to see if there is anything going on there.

Yes, that's how my NUT defines it. I don't see it as harsh personally, and I honestly don't have an issue with a stall either. But, I might feel differently if I had a stall for three weeks. I am no longer weighing daily because I did have days where I went up a pound or two (discovered that sodium in beef jerkey really makes me retain water). No I weigh every Wednesday, so I had two weeks with not a pound loss but didn't sweat it. Measurements did change those two weeks and I'm doing everything correctly so I know I'll lose what I need to eventually. I'm also over 50 years of age, so I expect the weight to come off a little slower and I'm okay with that too.

I used to consider not losing one week a stall but now that i am almost 11 months out.. I have not lost a pound in 5 weeks! That is a stall for sure. I have gone up and down 2 pounds the whole time. I am still eating the same as I was except for one week vacation and I have now returned to my lowest weight this week but its not lower than four Mondays ago. I am feeling a little depressive about it but I know they are normal and I will start losing again soon. I am going to up my exercise and see if I can break it. Now those few weeks I had with no loss dont feel like a stall to me...just my body adjusting. I know its all part of the process but we, as (prior) big people, are so scared of a diet or new plan not working, we fear these stalls as if they are final. They are not. The loss will slow down and your plateaus will get more frequent and longer.. that's what my Dr. told me and I see he was telling the truth.

This stuff is kind of ambiguous sometimes - the terminology - because a lot of it is just stuff that people made up. As people tend to use it around here, a stall is apparently any period of time during which the scale doesn't show decreasing weight. I've seen people say that yesterday they were 200 and today they're 200, and they're stalled.

I would define a stall as 4-6 weeks or longer with no change in weight or fat, up to maybe 8 weeks or so.

I would define a plateau as months with no change in weight or fat.

Not losing any weight for a day or five is NORMAL. People just seem to misspell it is "stall" a lot, I guess. :)

I've been reading the posts and see a lot of people talking about having a stall but I'm not sure exactly what that is. I'm sure it means different things to different people. For me, I know that 2 weeks pre-TOM stops my weight loss and that as soon as TOM kicks in so does the weight loss. So I don't consider that a stall. I know it's hormonal. I haven't had a stall since surgery (knock on wood) but I'm sure at some point I will. I'm thinking at least 4 weeks without a loss would be a stall. That's how I would define it.

So how do you define a stall? How many weeks? Do you factor hormonal issues into that? Or is it just flat out not losing weight with or without a hormonal shift?

This :) Anything less IMO is not a real stall. Especially not if its only a few days.

I know it isn't an "official" stall, but if I don't lose in a week, I am freaking out and automatically I think.... STALL!

Completely agree with Wheetsin :rolleyes: As usual. I think she reads my mind sometimes.....

This stuff is kind of ambiguous sometimes - the terminology - because a lot of it is just stuff that people made up. As people tend to use it around here, a stall is apparently any period of time during which the scale doesn't show decreasing weight. I've seen people say that yesterday they were 200 and today they're 200, and they're stalled.

I would define a stall as 4-6 weeks or longer with no change in weight or fat, up to maybe 8 weeks or so.

I would define a plateau as months with no change in weight or fat.

Not losing any weight for a day or five is NORMAL. People just seem to misspell it is "stall" a lot, I guess. :)