Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Reliable, Cost Effective Surgeon

Hi, I am trying to find a surgeon that is reasonably priced but completely reliable. Feeling overwhelmed! I am also curious if using a booking service, or going directly is the way to go. :blink: ANY guidance would be appreciated! :)

This depends on what you consider "cost effective". Aceves, Ponce, Kelly, & Garcia are the highest recommended surgeons all have impeccable reputations.

The question is what are you comfortable with?

Aceves works out of a bit nicer facility, limits himself to 2 surgeries per day but is 8750

Ponce is a very well established surgeon that has taught the procedure to other successful surgeons (Kelly for example). He has a great coordanator named Trish that is a heaven sent, I could go on about her but I won't. His only downfall is the he doesn't speak English very well. Rate 5500

Kelly speaks fluent English and provides a lot of personal attention. He has chosen not to work with coordinators, and to take some of that responsibility on himself. Rate 5500

Garcia, to be honest I don't know much about but have seen tons of raving reviews. Rate 5000 (that might have been a special)

Bottom line, if 3250 doesn't amount to much in your life, Aceves is the answer. But if you are willing to deal with a bit less hand holding the other 3 are just as good an option. For me, I went to dr. ponce de leon & I am very happy with my results.

Wow guys! THANK YOU!! I know that this is the path I want to take. At 32 I shouldn't be concerned about diabetes and heart attacks... I will get in touch with them, as for hand holding when I am hurt I am a bear lol.

O.T.R, when did you get your procedure done? Benjammin that is an awesome pic LOL (had to mention that) when was yours? Kemo, thanks for your blogspot link.

So, pre and post op, what is the hardest thing to get used to? Did you vomit for two days after your surgery? Do you have enough energy to carry out your day? Sorry, I have a billion questions lol, but I will go easy on you to start.

Questions are good. The key is patience. It is weird not to be able to drink Water at will the first month or so but it returns to normal after that. I never got sick and have never thrown up once since I had the surgery. Once you find out the amount of food your sleeve will allow and you go over it, it is an awful feeling and it is a lesson learned. The key is have the surgery and start your healthy new life. I wish I would have had the surgery years ago, that is my only regret. I am as healthy now as I was in High School. You can do this. My main advice would be do extensive research and not just on the forums. Talk to the surgeons, talk to past patients and get their perspective and ask them alot of questions. Check with the Board of Medicine in Mexico on ACTUAL death rates. Believe it or not, everything you read on the internet is not factual.

Good Luck on your journey.

I loved Dr. Kelly and would do it all over again with him even if his price was doubled.

Wow guys! THANK YOU!! I know that this is the path I want to take. At 32 I shouldn't be concerned about diabetes and heart attacks... I will get in touch with them' date=' as for hand holding when I am hurt I am a bear lol.

O.T.R, when did you get your procedure done? Benjammin that is an awesome pic LOL (had to mention that) when was yours? Kemo, thanks for your blogspot link.

So, pre and post op, what is the hardest thing to get used to? Did you vomit for two days after your surgery? Do you have enough energy to carry out your day? Sorry, I have a billion questions lol, but I will go easy on you to start.[/quote']

May 23rd was my date

I was kept on intravenous nausea meds while in the hospital. I did have one occurrence before meds were started but none since. Also I haven't taken any pain or nausea meds since & I have had no problems

I'm going they mexicosurgerysolutions.com. My surgeon is Dr Gonzalez, a member of BajaMed group. Surgery is scheduled for July 23rd and I'm super excited. I'm vlogging everything on YouTube and if u want to check it out u can at www.YouTube.com/shesstrangelynormal

Check out Dr. guilermo Alvarez at www.endobariatrics.com

He has many YouTube videos and even more testimonies on Obesityhelp.com.

He simply is one of the best surgeons out there!

His price is $8,700.00 or it was a few weeks back when I booked my surgery date.

Good-luck!!

Okay, so here is another question for you all...I have been looking at A Lighter Me, and just generally googling about. They seem to use the same surgeons as Obesity Solutions International....does that seem hinky? Are the two affiliated somehow?

Does anyone know if they are what they say they are, with no hidden costs? And the rate of success that they boast? :huh:

As I will be traveling from Canada to get this done I am thinking Mexico is the best option financially...yikes...

I just don't want to go there and be banboozuled. Not to mention I think I am going to go by myself, my hubby wants to go....but.... did you guys take companions?

Hmmm.....hidden costs. I hadn't gotten to that portion yet so I'm interested too.

Okay' date=' so here is another question for you all...I have been looking at A Lighter Me, and just generally googling about. They seem to use the same surgeons as Obesity Solutions International....does that seem hinky? Are the two affiliated somehow?

Does anyone know if they are what they say they are, with no hidden costs? And the rate of success that they boast? :huh:

As I will be traveling from Canada to get this done I am thinking Mexico is the best option financially...yikes...

I just don't want to go there and be banboozuled. Not to mention I think I am going to go by myself, my hubby wants to go....but.... did you guys take companions?[/quote']

Those are both coordinators. They work with multiple surgeons, and many surgeons work with multiple coordinators. The rate they quote you is typically the surgeons rate, then the surgeon pays them a fee for making arrangements with the client. It's nothing to really be concerned about though you get a quote from each if it makes you feel better.

I'd decide on a surgeon I was comfortable with then deal with the coordinator later.

Seriously check out each of the top Mexican Dr's. Alvarez, Aceves, Kelly,and there are others. Read the boards, Google their names and read as much as you can from former patients. I even talked to people on the phone after I chose to go with Alvarez. Some Dr's put you in a house with nursing staff and many other patients after surgery, they don't keep you in a hospital. I prefer the hospital route, just to be safe. Some do several surgeries per day, Alvarez does 2, MAYBE 3, per day. I liked that fact because they can take their time in the OR plus have more time with you bedside. In the end, you have to have do your research and weigh the options.

Go with your instinct, you will know in your heart which one meets your needs.