Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going into the doctors office on July 5th to get my Optifast for the two week pre-op diet. I am scheduled for surgery on july 19th. I am pretty worried about two weeks of an all liquid and Jello diet. I know it will help with surgery, just wondering if anyone who has been through it has any suggestions? I know I saw a few posts about this a while back, so I apologize if this is a repeat but I couldn't seem to find them

what did you do to fight off hunger? tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated

I have a tentative date of July 30. Waiting for approval. But for the last several weeks heres what I've been doing. And my reasoning. Soon I'll face that 2 week liquid diet without choice. Right now the choice is mine. Somehow that makes me feel better.

I bought a Protein Powder at Walmart, BodyFortress whey Protein. Been using it for years. 26 pro,140 cal, 2 suger. I always buy vanilla so I can add flavoring. I love banana and coconut.

I replace as many meals as I can manage right now. Right now I feel like I want something more solid so I'll put in Greek yogurt and frozen berries. ( I always add at least ice because I like the shake like feel.)

When I want something more foodish, I add hot Water to a Swanson broth packet and try that.( never thought I'd drink broth!).

And because I can right now, if none of the above gets it for me, I eat something reasonable.

I'm hoping this makes the two liquid diet easier.

This is my first post. Can someone tell me how to edit my profile? I'm a rookie.

First tip, quit soda now, quit caffeine now. Imagine having to quit while doing the pre-op shake diet? That will suck.

Second tip. If you are going to have your "last dinner", don't do it the DAY BEFORE you start your shake. It will make you even hungrier if you do carb overload the day before you start the shake diet.

Do it a few days before. A few days before, drink a slim fast or whatever "100% whey Protein shake" you decide to do after surgery for Breakfast. Lower your carbs as much as you can in advance.

The day before you start your shake diet, do a sensible dinner with Protein, and do low carbs. The people that do carb overload the day before they start the pre-op shake seem to have the hardest part sticking to the pre-op shake diet.

Tell yourself you can do it and believe it before you start. Mental state, state of mind, and the will to make your sleeve work will make this much easier. If you think that it's going to suck so bad, it will. If you think, I'm doing this because I'm worth it and it may not be easy, but I'm strong enough to get through this, then you will.

Keep busy, walk, drink Water and go ahead and exercise. Clean your closets, clean your drawers, find all your biggest clothes and decide if they should be packed yet. Start looking around to see if you have smaller sizes, because it's going to happen.

Find as many nightgowns as you can and make sure they are freshly laundered (especially if you are going to have a drain).

Make sure you have your Clear liquids, make sure you buy your Gas-X, do your hair, straighten out your bills for the time in the hospital, make a check list of the reasons WHY you are having this surgery and read it every time you think you can't do the 2 week pre-op shake.

I did the 2 week pre-op shake and didn't cheat and I'm over 3 weeks out and still am on liquids. I have a 5 week liquid before I move to purees, unless you are going through my surgeon, your doctor may not be as strict.

Be careful at first because liquid in liquid out, and I have only had this issue once.....once...NEVER TRUST A fart. I was in bed, I was fine, I exercised, I was doing great and I got a little gas bubble and I decided to get up luckily I got out of bed just in time....those pj bottoms were too big anyhow and ended up trashed, and I ended up with a shower again...right before bed. It only takes once.

Day 3 & 4 are usually the hardest. You don't become lethargic, you aren't going to "starve to death", realize you are probably getting better nutrition than you did over the last 6 months ;) You can do it, keep up the mantra.

Walk, drink Water, and realize the sleeve is only a tool and it's up to you to work the tool, you can do it.

Seriously ROFLMAO over "never trust a fart".

First tip' date=' quit soda now, quit caffeine now. Imagine having to quit while doing the pre-op shake diet? That will suck.

Second tip. If you are going to have your "last dinner", don't do it the DAY BEFORE you start your shake. It will make you even hungrier if you do carb overload the day before you start the shake diet.

Do it a few days before. A few days before, drink a slim fast or whatever "100% whey Protein shake" you decide to do after surgery for Breakfast. Lower your carbs as much as you can in advance.

The day before you start your shake diet, do a sensible dinner with Protein, and do low carbs. The people that do carb overload the day before they start the pre-op shake seem to have the hardest part sticking to the pre-op shake diet.

Tell yourself you can do it and believe it before you start. Mental state, state of mind, and the will to make your sleeve work will make this much easier. If you think that it's going to suck so bad, it will. If you think, I'm doing this because I'm worth it and it may not be easy, but I'm strong enough to get through this, then you will.

Keep busy, walk, drink Water and go ahead and exercise. Clean your closets, clean your drawers, find all your biggest clothes and decide if they should be packed yet. Start looking around to see if you have smaller sizes, because it's going to happen.

Find as many nightgowns as you can and make sure they are freshly laundered (especially if you are going to have a drain).

Make sure you have your Clear Liquids, make sure you buy your Gas-X, do your hair, straighten out your bills for the time in the hospital, make a check list of the reasons WHY you are having this surgery and read it every time you think you can't do the 2 week pre-op shake.

I did the 2 week pre-op shake and didn't cheat and I'm over 3 weeks out and still am on liquids. I have a 5 week liquid before I move to purees, unless you are going through my surgeon, your doctor may not be as strict.

Be careful at first because liquid in liquid out, and I have only had this issue once.....once...NEVER TRUST A fart. I was in bed, I was fine, I exercised, I was doing great and I got a little gas bubble and I decided to get up luckily I got out of bed just in time....those pj bottoms were too big anyhow and ended up trashed, and I ended up with a shower again...right before bed. It only takes once.

Day 3 & 4 are usually the hardest. You don't become lethargic, you aren't going to "starve to death", realize you are probably getting better nutrition than you did over the last 6 months ;) You can do it, keep up the mantra.

Walk, drink Water, and realize the sleeve is only a tool and it's up to you to work the tool, you can do it.[/quote']

Thankyou

I am going into the doctors office on July 5th to get my Optifast for the two week pre-op diet. I am scheduled for surgery on july 19th. I am pretty worried about two weeks of an all liquid and Jello diet. I know it will help with surgery' date=' just wondering if anyone who has been through it has any suggestions? I know I saw a few posts about this a while back, so I apologize if this is a repeat but I couldn't seem to find them

what did you do to fight off hunger? tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated[/quote']

Day one done.....so far full and happy but exhausted....I took 5 days off so I could listen to my body......and as much as they are sweet they are working whey Protein bullets 35grams per shot......nice and my husband is perfecting making me liquid fresh Soup.....warm and filling.......good day one!

I started my pre op on July 1 and am scheduled for surgery on July 17. My favorite Protein Shake is LaBrada "cookies and crime" it is delicious. 40 grams of Protein 3 x a day. I bought a Tervis water bottle that hols 20 ounces and I fill it up at least 4 x a day and add crystal light to at least one of the fill ups. I am now on day 6 and my family brought home Arby's and I took a small bite and licked the horse radish sauce off the edge of the packet and felt guilty afterwards. U know it may all be in my head but I think it made me hungry because I have not been hungry at all until now. It made my stomach growl. No more cheating.

I'm starting day 7 today of pre op diet. I don't think that I have cheated and I say this because 3 of those days I would eat a small piece of baked chicken with my meal. The instructions stated 4 shakes and a lean cuisine meal less than 350 Cal. My meals only go to 270. I feel satisfied with what I have done so far and today is shopping day for more shakes. Today is last day before I go to all liquids.

The preop diet is the worst. Just keep your eyes on the prize. Imagine where you'll be 6 months from now. I'm 2 months post op and I'm down 50 pounds since surgery day.

The preop diet is the worst. Just keep your eyes on the prize. Imagine where you'll be 6 months from now. I'm 2 months post op and I'm down 50 pounds since surgery day.

Thanks.....I am on 4weeks liquid pre op...one day down....I am sure I will get used to it......

I started my pre op on July 1 and am scheduled for surgery on July 17. My favorite Protein shake is LaBrada "Cookies and crime" it is delicious. 40 grams of Protein 3 x a day. I bought a Tervis Water bottle that hols 20 ounces and I fill it up at least 4 x a day and add crystal light to at least one of the fill ups. I am now on day 6 and my family brought home Arby's and I took a small bite and licked the horse radish sauce off the edge of the packet and felt guilty afterwards. U know it may all be in my head but I think it made me hungry because I have not been hungry at all until now. It made my stomach growl. No more cheating.

Ok it might just be me......but I would kick my family's butt big time......bringing Arby's in the house is like doing lines I front of a coke addict........wtf!!!!.....but that is me.....grin.....

Ok it might just be me......but I would kick my family's butt big time......bringing Arby's in the house is like doing lines I front of a coke addict........wtf!!!!.....but that is me.....grin.....

Mmmmmmmmmm ok so another gem......premier Protein choc with banana and ice and a little Cinnamin tastes just like a liquid frosty......mmmmmmmm