Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Am I Not Losing Weight?

Remember that this is a journey and not a marathon. As you and your sleeve become more acclimated with one another you will see that there are ups and downs and we all experience those. Most of us have times in which we level off for a little bit and then experience a big drop in our weight. Be patient and don't compare your weight loss to others as that will only make your frustrated (a least it did me). Learn what works for you and we offer many great suggestions here to show you what has helped many of us in our own personal experiences. Pull from those and work in those that seem to be helping you best.

You are doing great so keep up the good work!

I'm 12 days out and I've lost 16.5. I went in weighing 253 and I'm now 236.5! I know I shouldn't be frustrated but the last 3 days the scale has stayed the same! I'm not to the puréed state yet but I know for sure I'm not getting all the liquids I need in - could that play a factor I don't know! You've lost 9 lbs in 9 days that's great! Rejoice in your success it will all work we jut have to be patient! U can do it

I'm 12 days out and I've lost 16.5. I went in weighing 253 and I'm now 236.5! I know I shouldn't be frustrated but the last 3 days the scale has stayed the same! I'm not to the puréed state yet but I know for sure I'm not getting all the liquids I need in - could that play a factor I don't know! You've lost 9 lbs in 9 days that's great! Rejoice in your success it will all work we jut have to be patient! U can do it

Thanks! I couldn't help it I weighed myself this morning and I am down another lb! So I guess I really can't be upset because the scale is going down little by little everyday...I am now 222lbs when I started this journey I weighed 252lbs...when I went in the hospital for surgery I weighed 231lbs...so really I am definitely going down but like you said it is hard sometimes to see everyone else lose lots more! But I am starting to realize loosing slow is not to bad :)

Maybe if we lose slowly we will have less loose skin issues.? Could be a plus side to the slow scale. Just a theory.

Generally for the first two or three weeks you are going to be swollen and retain fluids some so you may not see huge amounts of weight come off. I actually gained almost 15 pounds in surgery but it was gone a week later along with a few pounds. I'm eight weeks out and have lost 26 pounds since surgery (the rest of my weightloss so far was pre-surgery diet) so I'm losing 2-3 pounds a week and have had a couple of one-week stalls.

Hi!! Im new to this site!! My name is Carol, I had my weight loss surgery on May 2nd (the sleeve) I too feel like the weight is coming off slow compared to the little food I eat daily, I started this journey at 423lbs, lost 90lbs in a year with eating healthy and excercise, I had an injury to my hip, which needs to be replaced, as a result I put on 30 pounds, I am now down 43 pounds since surgery and have 19lbs left to go before my Dr. Will give me a new hip, the scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks!! Any tips??? please help!!:)

I think you're being to hard on yourself. I was sleeved April 15th and have lost 51 pounds since April 1st (1st day of pre op). I was told 5 pounds a week loss is average.

You will have some stalls. I had a 6 day stall and was so upset. I now know that this is normal and don't get upset or to worried.

Ya. The stall is normal. I lost 26 pounds in three weeks , one of those weeks was pre op and I have stalled for 5 days now. Totally normal. The body has been through some shock and is trying to heal itself and is holding onto the weight right now. My surgeon didn't even care about my weight loss.... Yet. The weight will come off in the next months That's the real test.

Thank you for all your posts! I am still at quite a stall been here for over a month. I go to my doctor on Wednesday, I'll talk to him about it. how many calories are you all eating, I'm 2 months out and eating like 700 calories a day, is this normal? not getting my Water in, lucky if I get 20 oz in Daily. I'm so frustrated...:(

this is so encouraging. I thought i was doing something wrong. I just going to stick to it and follow the guidelines.

I am almost 4 weeks post opp now.

I dropped 28 lbs in a month before surgery. Then I lost another 28 lbs in three weeks after. So a total of 56 lbs in 7 weeks. Now I am at a stall and I feel it is to early for a stall but maybe I am wrong ?

I was weiging my self every day and I was losing 2 lbs a day and now the last three days or so I have not lost any thing.

I have ranged from 300 calories to 1000 ( The 1000 was just one day and that was yesterday) Most days I am between 600 and 700.

I also have developed a staph infection mostly in my leg ( I get these some times)

So I am on antibiotics and not sure if maybe the infection could have somthing to do with my stall ? I know it has caused my BS and BP to come up.

Any way I am not to worried about it but I did figure that I would lose between 60 and 100 lbs my first two months out and then maybe slow to 20 lbs a month for awhile. My BMI is at 50.19 now so not sure why I would stall so early.

I am almost 4 weeks post opp now. I dropped 28 lbs in a month before surgery. Then I lost another 28 lbs in three weeks after. So a total of 56 lbs in 7 weeks. Now I am at a stall and I feel it is to early for a stall but maybe I am wrong ? I was weiging my self every day and I was losing 2 lbs a day and now the last three days or so I have not lost any thing. I have ranged from 300 calories to 1000 ( The 1000 was just one day and that was yesterday) Most days I am between 600 and 700. I also have developed a staph infection mostly in my leg ( I get these some times) So I am on antibiotics and not sure if maybe the infection could have somthing to do with my stall ? I know it has caused my BS and BP to come up. Any way I am not to worried about it but I did figure that I would lose between 60 and 100 lbs my first two months out and then maybe slow to 20 lbs a month for awhile. My BMI is at 50.19 now so not sure why I would stall so early.

Actually, you are right on schedule. Though stalls are different for all of us, somewhere in the 3rd to 4th week is where most experience their first. With your pre-op losses I wouldn't have been surprised at all if you'd stalled at any point. I've even seen cases where people have stalled immediately following surgery.

Just keep following your plan & everything will work like it is supposed to.

And congrats on the 56lb loss. You are well on your way!!!