Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

But I Do Wanna Be A Size 6

I have been going to a WLS surgery support group and every meeting someone says something along the lines of' date=' "well it is not like I am trying to be a size 6 or anything, I just want to be healthier." So am I alone in that I DO wanna be a size 6--or 4--or 2? I want to be the one that is expected to sit in the middle of the backseat because I am so small. I want to wear tiny little jeans and have the option of dressing trashy and still looking hot. I have been big my whole life and I want to be the little one. Don't get me wrong, any move towards health and any weight loss is a good thing. I know better than to measure success vs. failure by getting into a size that seems almost unreal to me now. However, is it OK if I WANT it? Like really,really want it? I know me well enough to know that I will Celebrate every pound lost and every step I make towards a healthier me. However, if the truth were told, at the top of the list of reasons that I am willing to allow someone to cut one of my internal organs into pieces and yank part of it out of my body through a slit in my stomach, go through the risks of surgery, and have my eating habits forever changed is because I am SICK OF BEING FAT and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to slip into a pair of jeans whose size is one single, solitary number. In this group everyone is like, "oh, I just want to reach a healthier me, looking better is just a little extra." Can I call BS on that? I mean like big heaping, steaming bull #!%.... I know this post may make me seem shallow, but I have never seen anyone jump up and down over seeing their cholesterol go down 10 points. However, be in the vicinity when a former fatty slips on a size small top and size 6 jeans for the first time and you will see some celebrating going on. They will be taking pictures and calling their friends to share the news. You might see a little dance or hear an "oh HELL YEAH". Ever see anyone act like that over that hospital lab report? I am not trying to minimize the awesome health benefits of losing what is basically another person made up of fat that I am carrying around. I know my friend of fat will eventually kill me if I don't leave her behind. I am looking forward to improved health, mobility, and energy levels--sure...but do I really have to pretend that I wouldn't have the surgery if I knew that my overall health wouldn't really improve and all I had to look forward to is being smaller?[/quote']

OMG... It's like you are reading my mind. I feel the EXACT same way!

I am so with you! BS (mostly) I want both! I want to healthy and a size 4. I am only 5'3" so a size four would still leave me curvy. I will get rid of the extra skin when I hit 120 pounds lost. Then I will really be a size 4/2 LOL can't wait!

SING IT SIBLINGS!! I am SO joining the chorus of calling bu**shi* on the "I just want to be healthy I couldn't possibly care less about looking adorable in a sweater that's actually too big for me yet is still a small size and leggings and boots that zip over my calves" HA! BU**SHI*!!!!

I don't believe we should be ashamed of wanting to look different than we do. I have friends who are 100% happy in their skin and are obese and you know what? Rad! Awesome! Good for them! I just happen to be one of them and people who will criticize someone for wanting to change their appearance by losing weight and becoming fit have something within themselves that needs changing.

*edit: I did not express myself well, what I meant to convey is that, of course we are all health motivated, and I was in no way trying to belittle anyone's reasons for having surgery. What I was trying to say is that I am not embarassed, nor will I be shamed, about the fact that changing my appearance was nearly as important to me as the health benefits. that is all :)

It seems safe to assume you don't have major health issues? Don't get me wrong...there is no denying I too want to be small. I can't wait to put on a LBD and KNOW I look sexy..no doubt about it. But calling BS on others wanting to be healthy' date=' that is (in my opinion) just not the case.

While being thinner will make me feel better about myself, I pray every single night that I feel better. I am 32 years young, with REAL debilitating health issues directly connected to my weight.

Wanting and needing are two different things. I want to be smaller, I need to get my health in check if I want to live to meet my kids children, and thier children. Even better if I am in a size small bathrobe when I do...but if nothing changes for me health wise the honest, sad scary truth is I hope to be put out of my misery long before the great grandkids.

Call that whatever you want, but I would keep every single 210 pounds to not feel this way ever again.[/quote']

I agree with you hm734. I'm in the same boat and I'm only 39. Though I look fwd to smaller sizes, my main concern is my health. I don't think their is anything wrong with wanting a size 6 and look/ feel sexy. I don't see the need to berate how others feel about their weight loss. We all have individual goals and they are all GREAT!!! If you want a size 6, by all means, kudos and go for it. Ultimately we must be happy with our journey.. Best of wishes to all.

I'm in the camp of being afraid to set the bar too high and disappoint myself, but y'know what, there's nothing wrong with striving towards a really tough goal. That's why I'm having the surgery in the first place--I know full well that it's going to be difficult, so why not aim as high as I can? Or in this case, as low as I can!

I was a size 6 in my junior year of high school--or so my mother tells me (I apparently blocked this out, but she swears my prom gown was a size 6, and she bought the dress, so she's in a position to know)! With the amount of skin I'll be dealing with at 44 and two C-sections, I may not be able to get there (and plastic surgery will be too spendy for me), but I'm sure as hell gonna give it my best shot!

Here's my new goal. I wanna be able to wear TALL boots. Like thigh-high muthatruckas that skim the edge of a beautiful short skirt. I want to ROCK that look.

Look, Gucci's got my idea covered!

gucci-fall-2010-suede-thigh-high-boots-profile.jpg

I am one of those who does want to be healthier. ..however I have had insulin resistance, high blood pressure, higgh cholesterol, and thyroid issues for abiut 18 years and I'm 37. I also developed heart failure with my pregnancy. My main goal is to be around when my kids have kids. I am barely at 35 bmi but my health is horrible. HOWEVER...getting down to a 6, 4, or 2 would be an extra bonus like winning the lotto! I won't say I wouldn't be over the moom at at and don't dream of it....I would love to say...I'm freezing in a hot room! But honestly. ..I am most tired of taking 12 pills a day. It gets old after so many years.

For me' date=' it's not being a size 2 or 4... I would be happy to be an 8. BUT - I want BOOTS, tall boots that zip up and fit my calf, boots that I can tuck my jeans into. The day that happens I will be jumping up and down in the shoe store![/quote']

Lol... Me too! I have already shopped for cute, trendy and hot clothes so as I size down I have stuff to wear. I only bought the stuff on sale:) but I totally am super excited about being a smaller, healthier and hotter me... I get sleeved on June 11th and can't wait for the change:)

I know exactly how you feel. No offense to you older sleevers ;) but the majority of the people in my support group at the hospital are older. Most of them say "as long as I'm healthy, I don't care what size I am." Am I a little vain to want something MORE? I usually say the same spiel they do just so I don't look like an ungrateful "youngster." Lol. I tell people I would be happy to be a size 8 or 10, but I secretly want to be a 4 or 6. ;)

I don't know about all the other 'older' sleevers, but I'm 53 and wanted to run out of the dressing room the first time I slipped EASILY into a size four!!!! I am a cash pay patient, my BMI was under 36 - I had zero health issues. Low normal BP, cholesterol numbers to die for, sleep apnea, no -diabetes, no. I had just turned 50 and it was ALL about vanity. I'm a Texas girl, we're shallow and vain!! ;) I wanted to have fun shopping and I wanted to NOT be the biggest girl in the room. I love the sleeve, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I thought I'd lose 50 lbs....I lost 83. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would or could lose that much......and a size four, that is the cherry on top of the sundae!!!

I'm with you OP! Yes, I want to be healthy and I want to be a single digit! I'm so sick and tired of being fat. I can't remember a time when I wasn't fat, I've been this way all of my life and I'm just plain tired of it!!

I want to buy some sexy undies at Victorias Secret. I want to buy a short skirt and never have my thighs rub together again. I want to buy tall sleek boots, and wear semi-slutty clothes!! I want to go to the beach in a sleek classy size 8 black swimsuit!

I'm waiting on approval now and just want to get on with my new life!

I was healthy but doomed to not be! I've never been skinny or even just overweight! Always obese. My main motivator was/is to look good darn it! I would never call anyone else's reasoning to be BS, but I do want to be skinny! If I feel good about myself, I will be mentally healthy as well as physically.

Oh Man! I haven't even thought about the boots. No more ankle-high boots.....but tall slim pretty boots. Yes--added to goals and things to celebrate--Thanks!

I feel the same way. I cannot find boots thag will fit my calts. Is crazy but I would like that too. Ohhhh and I dream to be a size 5.

First off, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a size 0, 2, 4. Go for it! Someone posted recently how unhappy they were because they were a size 14. I stated that I was a 14 and thought I looked great. Funny thing is, my bff told me my clothes were too baggy and had me try on her size 8 jeans. They fit! I can honestly say it didn't make me feel any different about how I look right now, it just suprised me that they fit. Although I may be the minority here, there is no B.S. on my part when I say I don't care to be a size whatever. I am thrilled that my diabetes is gone, and I would happily stay a size 14 and be around for my kids than a size 0. I can settle for being healthy, energetic, and not the largest person in the room. I have seriously thought of maintaining at 140, my current weight, instead of completing my goal of 125 because I am happy with how I look now. If anything, I don't like the sickly look some get when losing too much weight. Reaching my goal is more about following through with a goal, than it is getting smaller or a certain size, for me anyway. All this to say not everyone is full of B.S. when they are satisfied at being larger than a size 2.

I was sleeved may 7 and I cannot WAIT to be a size 6!!!! I would just DIE to be able to wear short dresses and stacked heels. It is ON!!! I am 5'5.5 with starting weight 217 and my doctor said "you could stand to lose 50 lbs. " 50 lbs? Shhhhoooottt...I'm going for 87 lbs!!! I don't even know what size that is but I haven't been 130 lbs since middle school or even elementary school!! We are gonna ROCK it!!!

May 7...here I come!!

I've never been a size 6. Even back in high school when I weighed 140 I was wearing 14s. Back then I thought I was fat because all my friends were 110. I wore baggy clothes for some reason, so I don't know what size a pair of form-fitting jeans would have been. I would love to wear single digit sizes. My first goal will be to be able to walk without pain. Then to be able to run.

I started at 303 and now weigh about 290 pre-surgery. I have my surgery this Thursday and hope to hit somewhere around 140 again by September 2014.

For me' date=' it's not being a size 2 or 4... I would be happy to be an 8. BUT - I want BOOTS, tall boots that zip up and fit my calf, boots that I can tuck my jeans into. The day that happens I will be jumping up and down in the shoe store![/quote']

Ahhhh! That is what I tell my hubby all the time, I WILL be buying me a nice TALK pair of ugg boots next year! Glad I'm not the only one w that dream!