Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i know every doc is different but do yall think my doctor would let me recover in another city 6 hrs away like a week after surgery? like my family wants me to fly back w/ my mom so i can recover at their house....its a question i will be asking on my final preop appt on thursday but would like yalls input....

I was told I couldn't fly after surgery for 30 days, so that may pose a problem for you if that's the case with your doctor too.

I was also told no flying for the first 4 weeks and if we drove anywhere to take a break at 45 minutes to avoid clots.

however..lots of folks fly back from Mexico from their surgery. But I think they have to stay a few days after.

Ask your Dr. I would say yes, what about all of us who went to Mexico to be sleeved. I took a fly home 3 days after surgery and I am feeling great with no complications, thank god!

Can your mom come to your house?

The advantage of having your surgery done locally is that if there is an issue you are very close to your doc and can get assistance quickly.

I agree with Cookies. If you could stay close to your surgeon just in case there is an issue that would be preferable. Also, the recovery for this surgery really isn't all that long. You said you would be going about a week after surgery? Chances are you won't need all that much help after a week. Most people are back to work after 2-3 weeks.

If you are set on going and your surgeon okays it, ask if he knows anyone in the area you'll be going to that you could see if there was an emergency of some sort. If you ask about it now, it won't be so complicated later on. I did this when I moved to New York (from Fl) for a few months. I was already 4 months out though. Our plan was that if I had any issues I'd call him, if he felt I needed to be seen he would set up an appointment for me with one of the NY surgeons he knew.

thanks everyone!

the surgeon i see has a partner that does gastric surgery in the area that my parents live....but of course im not going to get my surgery done there...to make it simplier i live in dallas and the parentals live in amarillo so its 6hr drive or1 1/2 hr flight im thinking that if my mom comes for a week then i should be good to go and not need to even go back....basically she is trying to fit me in with the siblings summer plans LOL.

i also think its better to stay close to the doc in case things do arise..and who knows when i will have to go back fr post op appts too..but ill ask on thursday and put an update

thanks again!

I stayed home for 3 days post discharge..then traveled to my parents 2 hrs away. I felt comfortable that I was feeling good....so more secure about being away from the surgeon. Day 3 was my magic day. As an aside, if you have an issue any ER doc can get in touch with your surgeon and review the issue...it's not unheard of. As others have said, many are flying home from MEX, so what is the difference really?

Well my mom took it upon herself to call my doctor lol she is on my Hippa form so they talked it all out..they want me to wait at least 7-10 days to travel after surgery...and ill b cleared after my 1 week follow up.. he said I can fly no more than 45 minutes or drive no more than 6 hrs stopping frequently to walk to avoid clots.. it's crazy tho cuz the flight from here to my parents is about 45 minutes and the drive would be exactly 6hrs so it works perfectly lol!

i know every doc is different but do yall think my doctor would let me recover in another city 6 hrs away like a week after surgery? like my family wants me to fly back w/ my mom so i can recover at their house....its a question i will be asking on my final preop appt on thursday but would like yalls input....

It's a good idea to stay close to your doctor until atleast 3-4 weeks. Don't ou have to go back for follow ups every week for awhile?

It's a good idea to stay close to your doctor until atleast 3-4 weeks. Don't ou have to go back for follow ups every week for awhile?

Yea pretty sure He wants to see me one week out then 3 week out and He said I can't go anywhere for the first month.. I was pretty disappointed for sure...

I was not required to stay after getting surgery done in Mexico! I did vacation in San Diego after Surgery, did all kinds of stuff! However if you do fly make sure you get up and move around as much as you can to prevent blood clots

I was able to fly home 4 days after my sleeve. I have to say dr approved it, however make sure it is a fast flight or bring pain killers as longer you sit the more you hurt. But most doctors push you out the door these days. I had surgery may 15th and left may 29th.