Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hitting The Beach

My husband and I are hitting the Jersey shore for the day on Sunday. Any suggestions as what I can pack to eat? Im getting sick of cottage cheese! shakes are not keeping me full either...

It is hard to know what to suggest when we don't know where you are in your journey and if you are on any of the stages of the postop diet. Please elaborate.

My husband and I are hitting the Jersey shore for the day on Sunday. Any suggestions as what I can pack to eat? Im getting sick of cottage cheese! shakes are not keeping me full either...

I carried Nature Valley Peanut and Dark chocolate Protein Bars and hard boiled eggs. I also cut up chicken into nugget sized bites and baked them and threw those in the cooler as well. Of course, by this point I had just been cleared to eat whatever I wanted and we were camping for a week on the beach. Either way, its hard on the beach because it is hot and you need to drink, drink, drink and that is going to conflict with eating times. A couple of the days, I settled for eating less than I should made sure I drank Protein Shakes during the day and kept my fluids up.

ooooo! whoops!! (i'e been awake since 2 am)....I am 6 weeks out, and can eat just about anything.

Lady Ivy; your post reminds me of my job! I took 6 weeks off, and went back this past monday. I work ems full time, and its SO hard to stay hydrated, and eat. It's especially hard to wait the 30/30 when you're in a rush!!! ugh! Yesterday I had to grab an ER turkey sanwich, throw the bread awy. I was SO hungry, I ate too fast, and oh boy, I thought I was going to blow up!! Wont do that again.

I like almonds, string cheese singles, Atkins bars, Jerky (beef or turkey)... Stuff like that. You can take it anywhere and it has some Protein quality to it. That's what I use for Snacks.< /p>

Hmm... i'm assuming you will have a cooler? You could bring cheese sticks, deli meat "roll ups" (you put meat, cheese, mustard/mayo/etc, lettuce if you want... and roll them up instead of putting them in bread), Peanut Butter (if you are not watching your carbs).

You could also do greek yogurt. This might be tough, but if its wrapped properly and in a cooler I don't see a problem. You could even put it in the freezer the night before and eat it in the afternoon after it defrosts. I add Protein powder into plain yogurt. Then I add some sort of flavoring IF i need it (espresso powder, splenda, flavored syrups, crystal light packets, etc). This is a great way to get lots of protein!

If you are up for a little pre-cooking you could make meatballs. My favorite recipe= ground turkey, plain greek yogurt (you do NOT taste this, but it works to keep it very moist and keeps it from falling apart) and the seasonings of your choice (my favorite is garlic, italian seasoning, salt, and curry). These would probably taste just fine on the cool side and if you weigh them as you make them then you'll know exactly how many Protein each meatball is. Makes it very easy to count while you are at the beach. This should also sit well in a new sleeve.

Again with the pre-cooking you could make egg "muffins" (i could find the recipe for you if youd like or you could google one to work with your specific tastes... actually there are probably a ton here under the recipe section). They travel very well but i'm not sure how well they would taste cool.

Have fun!!

Thanks Emily & Star!! This list will work wonders for work too!

Have fun! I am a jersey shore finatic lol- which beach are you going to?

I just discovered dried edamame Beans at whole foods - they are somewhat low fat but oober high in Protein ( serving size 1/4 cup, 4g fat, 10g carbs, 14g protein) and lentil chips... I just grab a little of each and munch on those, to fulfill that crunch craving..

How about those tuna with crackers packages, or oysters in a can. Smoked almonds are good or trail mix.

I just got back from there myself. Stayed at Sea Isle, but went to Cape May some too. Also spent a day in Atlantic City. I took my Protein and made shakes right before I went out to the beach. That would hold me for an hour or two. Then I snacked on Protein Bars, almonds, peanuts, etc until time to leave. Also took some bottled Water, so a cooler would come in handy.

Hmm... i'm assuming you will have a cooler? You could bring cheese sticks' date=' deli meat "roll ups" (you put meat, cheese, mustard/mayo/etc, lettuce if you want... and roll them up instead of putting them in bread), Peanut Butter (if you are not watching your carbs).

You could also do greek yogurt. This might be tough, but if its wrapped properly and in a cooler I don't see a problem. You could even put it in the freezer the night before and eat it in the afternoon after it defrosts. I add Protein powder into plain yogurt. Then I add some sort of flavoring IF i need it (espresso powder, splenda, flavored syrups, crystal light packets, etc). This is a great way to get lots of protein!

If you are up for a little pre-cooking you could make meatballs. My favorite recipe= ground turkey, plain greek yogurt (you do NOT taste this, but it works to keep it very moist and keeps it from falling apart) and the seasonings of your choice (my favorite is garlic, italian seasoning, salt, and curry). These would probably taste just fine on the cool side and if you weigh them as you make them then you'll know exactly how many Protein each meatball is. Makes it very easy to count while you are at the beach. This should also sit well in a new sleeve.

Again with the pre-cooking you could make egg "muffins" (i could find the recipe for you if youd like or you could google one to work with your specific tastes... actually there are probably a ton here under the recipe section). They travel very well but i'm not sure how well they would taste cool.

Have fun!![/quote']

Great idea on the meatballs...how much yogurt do you use? I am starting my puréed stage Monday and I am so excited!

Great idea on the meatballs...how much yogurt do you use? I am starting my puréed stage Monday and I am so excited!

Honestly, I eyeball it. If I make an entire package of the jennie-o lean ground turkey (1.25lbs) I put two really big dollops of yogurt using a tablespoon. So that is about 3-4 oz of yogurt. I'm not sure if you can use this during the pureed stage or not, but certainly can try it during the soft foods. If you bake them instead of pan frying them (I do nonstick pan, no added oil or butter... gives it great color and very yummy) they will be even softer. Won't look as appealing, since they won't be browned, but still yummy!

Thanks everyone!! MamaT, I like to go to Point Pleasant and Jenkinsons! But I pretty much grew up going to Sea Isle, and Ocean City! My parents belonged to Out Door World! We would HAVE to be on the beach by 7:30.....ugh as a teenager, that stunk!! lol!