Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello all. i was just sleeved on june 18th. i started my journey last year around this time. i started at 5'10 and weighed 325lbs. after a month of Optifast i weighed 295lbs on surgery day. so far i am doing the clear liquid diet along with the drain thats attached to my stomach. fun stuff. i will say the first couple of days were hell because it was hard to drink and get in 64 ounces of Water. today is the first fay i can say that i can actually drink and hold it down without any problems! it is weird to drink and feel the fluids go to your stomach and then feel it bubble.

i spent most of the day reading everyone's story on here and i love this forum. i have learned a lot more about the sleeve here than anywhere else! ill actually weigh myself on my first post-op visit which is next thursday. hopefully ill go to the full liquid diet and feel a little better because the clear liquid diet sucks.

anyway, ill go and continue reading but i thought i would register and say hi to everyone.

Welcome! Glad to have you on board! The first week is the hardest - it will get better!

Welcome! Congrats on losing your pre-op weight. Keep up the good work.

thank you karen! yes the first week is no picnic. what helped was doing thr Optifast for a month. that kind of got me used to liquids only (besides their Protein bars). i am pretty excited about this new chapter in my life.

Welcome! Congrats on losing your pre-op weight. Keep up the good work.

thanks terri. i was amazed on how good Optifast works. 30lbs down by the day of surgery and 100 more to go. :-)

Congrats to you! I was sleeved 6/7/2012 and started my soft / pureed foods today. 1/4 C of cottage cheese was a TREAT! So glad I did this and would do it again without hesitation. I was 224 1/16/2012, 199 on 6/7/2012 at time of surgery, gained 5 lbs in the hospital and am now 186. Feeling spunky and walking with a bounce in my step that has been gone for many years.

LOTS OF LUCK!!!

I am in the process of seeing the nut, the pulmonary dr., the psychologist, the nut two more times then the surgeon before even starting pre op diet. So I can get surgery date, which was told to me could be middle of August. I can't wait. My insurance would not pay even though it was considered a medical necessity. Even tho money is coming out of our pockets I want this more than anything. Can anyone tell me about the surgery, the time in the hospital and the week post surgery. I would like to know what to expect. There is one thing that is going to be hard for me to get use to is CRUNCH. I like to crunch chips, carrots, onions, bell pepper, radishes etc. From crunch to liquid then pureed...ouch lol.

I am just one week out post op. I actually had to gain weight to qualify. i got turned down two times then went on steroids for some problems with my joints and gained weight. after that i was super close to a 40 BMI so i gorged a few days. hit the 40. weighed in and went on a diet based upon everything i had learned from the nutritionist in the six month class. i dropped quite a bit with a month of dieting. then hit the liquid diet and the weight was pouring off. i was pretty strict with the liquid diet and i think it was a really good transition because after two weeks of liquid i was feeling good about the weight loss but to the point i wanted to eat a big steak. thennnnnnnnnnn the surgery came and well, there is no turning back now. after surgery it is a transition time to start with the Clear Liquids. i listened to someone in a support group who said she had one thing to say ... SIP. she said she made the mistake of almost guzzling her first few sips of Water down and said it was painful. so i took her advice and just sipped. slowly and then built it back up. very little pain. the days of the clear liquid diet are pretty boring but post op i didn't really want much more. the full liquid diet is really fine. you get to love Trader Joe's Soups. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. things are so dramatically different from before that starting off slowly with the full liquid diet wasn't so big of a deal. I have to say i am happy that I do still enjoy food and the flavors... i'm just satisfied with very little. good luck!

Welcome to the board and congrats on your surgery. I look forward to seeing you around here. Take care and best of luck to you in your journey.

My surgery hasn't been scheduled yet but my doc only expects me to have clear liquid for 2 days post-op and then into Protein Shakes. Has anyone made the transition that quickly? I suppose this will only happen if I am able to be successful with the Water, I have several weeks of food logs to go and am having trouble getting all the Protein in now but if I can't do it now, I won't do it later.

I was only on clear liquid the 2 days prior to my surgery and for 1/2 day after. I was sleeved 6/7 and clear liquid in the hospital on the 8th released that day and started Protein on the ride home. Was not an issue for me. Thick protein supplements are not something I can do even 2 weeks post op and I am eating again. I get about 1/4 cup portion so I am still supplementing with Protein Shakes. I prefer the RTD over the powders but each person will be different.

Good Luck to you! I just had my VSG on the 19th and the clears do suck! Thanks for posting!

It's interesting how the clear liquid diet varies. My doctor required 5 days clear which ends after Sunday 6/24. Full liquid 6/25-7/3, I 7/4 I just to start my mushy diet still without meat. I can't have meat until 7/23. I am really excited about this new journey. Best Wishes!

My surgery was 6/20 and im on clear liquids for one week followed by 2 weeks on full liquids. Its only been 4 days, im so looking forward to having a shake or a Soup.< /p>