Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Update (My Road To Rocking My Sleeve) -Its

Okay... I can hardly believe that it's been 6 months already!!! Seems like only yesterday I couldn't fit into a booth at Texas Roadhouse, but it's actually been over 17 months... Feels like I was just complaining about how my dumb insurance company requires 6 month medically supervised diet... but that's been 12 months ago.. and then I met my Sleevina...

The past 6 months have been the most mentally engaging 26 and a half weeks of my life!!! It's been a challenge to get up each day and not be consumed by the RULES, but respecting them and not looking at them as BAD... but as parameters and boundaries that keep my Sleevina working optimally.... So, this journey is definitely not for the faint at heart or those who are seeking to somehow become whole after losing weight.. Wholeness comes from knowing yourself, outside of physical parameters and having the strength to work hard and change the things that aren't "meshing" with the real you.. Anyway.. here are my stats since I started this journey...

HW: 384

CW: 314

Clothing sizes:

Highest: 30/32-4X in everything

Current 20/22 - 1X (I still struggle to purchase them!!)

Pre-surgery Shoe Size: 11WW

Current: 10W

Bra Size

Pre- 48 DD

Current- 42D

Exercise Level:

Pre- Nonexistent due to back injury and poor left side dorsiflexion

Post- aqua aerobics, stationery bike, (ELLIPTICAL.. go figure), lots of walking

Greatest SUCCESS to date:

I'm mentoring 2 young ladies that I met recently..One was sleeved 3 weeks ago, the other had RNY 5 weeks ago.. I get an opportunity to share my ups and downs, give encouragement and advice, PLUS receive it!! Through it all, I don't have any regrets...

Yesterday while biking away in the gym, this guy walks up to me and tells me I have enviable legs and calves... I laughed and said thanks... I wanted to say, please move so I can finish my workout.. This is an NSV because I love men and he was kind of cute.. but I wanted to finish strong and he was being a distraction!!! That's a huge step for me... I'm determined to put on blinders to all distractions, negativity, unhealthy weights (people, mindsets, attitudes, etc) and baggage that seeks to impede my journey towards my goals...They're not worth the time, energy and effort!! BUT I AM WORTH IT!!!

If you are at goals and in maintenance, congrats.. If you are still on the journey to goal, congrats and don't lose sight of it... remember everyday you get closer, if you make the right decisions...if you are a NEWBIE, welcome!!! Trust me it gets better!! And if you are comtemplating getting sleeved, don't hesitate.. but prepare to have your life totally altered in ways you can't imagine...Remember, you have to know that you are worth whatever dollar amount it costs, however long the pre-op diet it, and whatever fiery hoop you have to jump through... Get all the facts, but don't sell yourself and your loved ones short.. Yes, my life has changed, yes... I had to leave some people behind.. but, I found myself again!!! And I have to say... she's pretty darn cool!!! I like me a lot!!

I haven't dropped a huge amount of weight (in pounds), but I have left a HUGE amount of disgust, low-confidence, defeat and many other things synonomous with CRAP along the way...

A few Tina-isms:

• Your journey is yours!!! You can't expect it to be exactly like someone else's...
  • Don't compare yourself to anyone else.. Compare yourself to YOU!!.. Look at old pics, keep track of your measurements, do a side by side comparison... trust me, you'll see the difference
  • Enjoy your journey!!! If you do it grudgingly, the smallest excuse is all you'll need not to work out, not to drink Water, not to refrain from high calorie, but delicious stuff that slows/stalls your progress
  • Find an activity that you LOVE to do.. I LOVE aqua aerobics... I don't see it as excercise (although Jenna the Beast works the HECK out of me!!)... it's fun, burns lots of calories and helps tone the whole body
  • Affirm yourself!! Positive self affirmations work wonders when you are struggling to finish that last mile or last 5 minutes of a workout.. Yes, hearing it from others is good.. but say something good about yourself.
  • Extend the same love, support, grace, mercy and consideration to yourself, as you lavish on others.. You're human too right??
  • Don't make excuses, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Congrats!! You are doing so well! It's obvious how happy and motivated you are! I am 9 months out and like you over a year since my journey started. It is amazing and wonderful just how much changes. Great job on the mentoring as well! I'm sure they are thrilled to have your help! Keep rocking your sleeve lady!

Congratulations! I love the Tina-isms!

This made me smile and tear up at the same time. You are such an inspiration to me just from what you have written here today.

I have not been sleeved yet, my day is July 9. I have been getting really nervous and almost having second thoughts just because I will be a different person inside and out. That scares the heck out of me. I haven't known that girl for a long time. I have so many "what if's" and they sound stupid if I say them outloud. I'm so ready to drop the discust, low-confidence and defeat just as you have.

You have no idea how your post has touch me, all I can say is thank you.....

Oh yeah!!!! congratulations to you and everything you have accomplished.

Congrats on your success. I loved your post very eye opening and inspiring. Keep doing your thing girl!! I'm waiting to be sleeved. Have my consult with the surgeon tomorrow. I'm ready to do the dang on thang! ;)

Tina, you definitely an inspiration, I too LOVE your 'Tina-ism's' ^_^ I know exactly how Donna feels as I'm bring sleeved on July 5th. I'm SOOO Geeked (excited), but the road to here has been an arduous one. I am currently a bander (5 yrs). & found out in January that my band had failed me and that was the reason for my regaining nearly all of the 80+ pounds I had lost with the band. All of this time prior to finding out my band had failed, "I felt like the failure", I attributed it to my failing marriage and post divorce (Nov of 2012).

Thankfully, my ex & I have remained friends although the divorce was tough Fory entire

family .

Fast fwd to 1/2012, my lap band dr who I've had for well over 5 years, told me my band had failed me and I must say, that was a monumental 'light bulb' moment for me! I learned that I was NOT the failure, my band was! So... Began the journey to get approved for a band removal & gastric sleeve surgery, the road was HARD, I will not lie to you all, it was HARD. Because I has already had a previous weight loss surgery, my insurance co (who has also been a great co to wk with) now required MUCH more detailed information this go round, but my dr, myself & my body had PLENTY to give to my insurance co in the way ofadditional: (my co-morbidity's...(increased bp meds, cholesterol meds, and learning that I now have a mild case of sleep apnea & now sleep with a CPAP machine, have SEVERE acid reflux desease) . All of these additional conditions i gained after regaining my weight back due to my band failure helped to turn over my appeal and I was fully approved by my insurance co two weeks ago.

I had completed all of my visits, nut & psyche eval, classes, office visits, EGD, & sleep studies.

I did my EKG & Exhocardiogram yesterday by the same heart dr I had 5 years ago and have officially been cleared for surgery two weeks from today :-) I have blood work in the morning, am also starting my two week full liquid diet tomorrow, then I have my pre-op visit wih my dr in the 27th of Jume before my surgery the following week on July 5th.

If I can offer anything, I'd say don't feel like you're alone, because you're NEVER alone on this type of journey. SEEK out support and USE It, that's the ONLY way you will learn as you yourself journey. Peace and blessings, Vikki

p.s., Tina you should start a support group page here if you don't already have one going! ^_^

Awesome! Congratulations!!!

i so know what you mean. The person i work out with kept telling me that i needed new work out clothes the old ones needed to go. So realy i did not see what the big deal was that i had to roll the waist band up 4 times for them to fit right... So i went to look at Walmart for some new ones and i at one time was a 2 x so i grabbed a large and then i was like well let me grab a Med and see.. I'll be if my butt did fit into those Med and so now i am rocking those Med work out pants.. However i was also looking around at some dresses and found my self looking at the 22/24 now why would i do that.. Well after so many years of looking at one side of the store for clothes it is realy hard to make that mental note that hey you get to go to the skinny people side now.. And the other funny thing is that i found the clothes on the plus size side much cuter... WOW i really need to change my frame of mind.. I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss and just know that when people tell you how great you look they really mean it.... =)

Sleevina! Haha!! Love it!! You go girl!

Happy 6 month surgiversary :) you've done great, great post!

Great testimony and you are a good inspiration. Well done on your weight loss so far. I have no doubt you will complete the journey.

I myself have to find the exercise I love, still trying different things.

Way to go Tina. You have done great, and are very inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Whoo hoo! congrats!

Love the Tina-isms :)

You guys are so awesome and encouraging!!! I really appreciate it!!!!