Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member recently banded..with questions

Hi to everyone. I was banded 6 days ago and have a few questions, for those of you who are more experienced.

1. Is there such a thing as "too much" liquid the first few weeks?

2. I am a side sleeper. Since my surgery was so recent, is it ok to sleep on my side?

3. Has anyone actually "not" had to have fills to lose weight?

4. Anyone know where to go for a fill in the Central Florida area that does not cost a small fortune (I had my surgery in Mexico)

I will probably be asking a million more questions in the next few months. Thanks for your patience.

Hi Ginger. Congratulations on your band and WELCOME to LBT. You have found a great community to call home. We're like a big family in every sense. Sorry that no one has responded yet. I'll do my best.

1. Is there such a thing as "too much" liquid the first few weeks?

I don't think so. You do want to sip and not gulp b/c you are probably still swollen.

2. I am a side sleeper. Since my surgery was so recent, is it ok to sleep on my side?

I couldn't sleep on my side right away. After awhile, I used a pillow tucked under my belly and it felt sooo good. Use your own judgement on what feels good. Your not going to damage anything that I'm aware of.

3. Has anyone actually "not" had to have fills to lose weight?

I was banded on May 26, 2006 and got my first fill this past Fri. I took off 25 lbs during that time. There are some people on here that lose and never get a fill. There are others that don't lose at all until they get a fill. The band is very individual. Follow what your band tells you.

4. Anyone know where to go for a fill in the Central Florida area that does not cost a small fortune (I had my surgery in Mexico)

Can't help you there. I think there is something called Fill Centers USA or something. Do a search with the key word Florida. I bet you'll find what your looking for there.

Good luck and I hope the band is very successful for you. Again, welcome and be sure to ask lots of questions. That is how we all learned.

:welcome:

I was sleeping on my side before 6 days.....not intentionally but would just automatically flop over when I'd go to sleep. Didn't seem to cause any problem for me, however.

As for "no fills"......if you don't get a fill,you might as well not have had surgery! All you've had done so far is have a tool implanted. The fills are what make that tool become operational and work for you. As you lose fat around your stomach, the band will need to be filled again because it is no longer tight enough to maintain restriction - and restriction is what its job is.

As for Florida fill doctors.....you might go to the Florida section of

www.obesityhelp.com and ask. You might also go to

www.bariatriceating.com and ask.....there are a number of Florida people on that board.

(Note to others planning to go to Mexico for surgery.......locate and make arrangements with local fill doctor BEFORE you have surgery, not afterwards!!).

There is a guy on here named Sam who I'm sure will see your post and give you all the correct info. Somewhere I have the phone # for Fill Center USA and I will search through my stuff if you need the phone #. Let me know and I will get their number for you and they will set you up on the Florida area.

Welcome to LBT. I haven't had a fill yet. I was banded on July 19 and have lost 20 lbs. without a fill. I'm looking forward to getting my fill in Sept., but my dr. gives you plenty of time to heal.

As for side sleeping, what 3 Loves told you about the pillow, is the best advise I could give you. It certainly helped me.

I hope you are doing well. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ginger, for a no fill discussion check out http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22164&highlight=towel

GayleTX, I disagree (friendly disagree) with you about fills. My Doc said a study of banders in Australia showed that 30% lost weight without getting a fill. Most bands are only 1 inch in diameter, then visulize sticking your stomach inside the 1 inch diamater, along with some fat and there isn't much room for food to pass, fill or no fill. For me, it explains why getting a fill is so individual!

GayleTX, I disagree (friendly disagree) with you about fills. My Doc said a study of banders in Australia showed that 30% lost weight without getting a fill. Most bands are only 1 inch in diameter, then visulize sticking your stomach inside the 1 inch diamater, along with some fat and there isn't much room for food to pass, fill or no fill. For me, it explains why getting a fill is so individual!

I agree with this. There are some members on here that have lost a LOT of weight without a fill. I think the key is realizing it is a "tool" to be used. My tool worked just fine and helped me take of 25 lbs without a fill. It takes work from the individual as well. You can't expect the band to do ALL the work. Now I'm enjoying restriction and the weight is coming off again. You see, I have been at a stand still for a few weeks. The fill is just what I needed for my tool. It's so individual that you can't lump it all into one size fits all mentality and that includes that it takes a fill for it work and the other way around.

Welcome, Ginger. Others have answered your questions so I'll just add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ginger -

Welcome and congrats on being banded.

I wanted to let you know that I haven't had a fill yet and I am @ 2 months out. I am still seeing the scale go down. There was a lady at my monthly meeting that went almost 7 months with out a fill because she was having good restriction and also a good/healthy weight loss. I myself am in no hurry to get a fill because I am not eating inbetween meals and have a good restriction!! and as long as the weight continues going down -

As for side sleeping - when it feels comfortable for you - do it. This is definately a individual thing.

Hope all goes well !!

Tracy

I had a feeling you would come through and be able to supply the answers on fills. Please keep me updated on the fill center you are working on for Boise.

All my best to you.

Hey ginger My name is Ginger also and i was just banded 4 days ago !!!! Hope you are doing as good as i am Besides being sore and a little tired at times I FEEL GREAT and am excited about the future