Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had My Consult- I'm The Heaviest I've Ever Been!

Hi VSGers! First of all I've been here a little while but haven't properly introduced myself or told my story. I've been overweight my whole life, struggled with dieting. I've been over 300lbs since I was a teenager which was tough. I've looked into WLS on and off since I was a teenager but never went through with it- which I am glad for because the sleeve wasn't an option when I was looking into it and I'm sure this is the procedure for me! So I finally had my consult today- I got the appointment back in April but there was a long wait. Everything went great and things are moving along fast! I have a bunch of appointments scheduled already- Nutristionist this Friday (1 or 2 classes) Ultrasound the 25th, sleep Study (Since they thing I may have sleep apnea) next week also, and the Endoscopy July 18th. The psych and the medical consult will be sent to me, but I really feel like things are moving along FAST and I'm super thrilled! It also makes it so much easier because my best friend is going through this with me- we're going through the same facility and even have some of our appointments scheduled on the same days so we can go together!

The downer of today was getting on the scale for my stats. I haven't actually weighed myself in over a year. Last year was a hard year for me, I went through a crazy break up, emotional ate and gained weight, then took it off then I injured my knee and was immobile for months. In that time I was super depressed and knew I gained weight, I just never knew how much. I thought I had taken some of it off by now, and maybe I have- who knows- I may have even been heavier- though I shutter to think! I weighed in today at 379. Never in my life have I been this big! My biggest was 350 and that was HUGE for me. I saw 379 and I almost cried today! I was probably close or at 400 at my heaviest- that is such a scary number for me! This just proved to me more then EVER that I really need this surgery. It was a HUGE (no pun intended lol) wake up call for me and more then ever made me realize this is the right thing!

My BMI is 63- I was a little worried with it being that high but they assured me today the doctor has experience opperating on patients with BMI's over 60 so I felt better. I'm just really excited/anxious/nervous/happy/scared to start this whole process but am so happy it's finally moving along!

The good thing is that you are doing something about it. I would suggest to start picking up some sleeve habits such as eating slow, don't wear and drink. Best of luck..

Yes, that's a downer but the outlook from today forward is sunnier! Hang in there. You can do this!

I discovered that i was at my highest weight at the doctors office. i stepped on the scale and it read 540 pounds. My mom was with me and broke down into tears and started crying. My mom already lost my sister at the age of 26 and when she saw 540 she could not take it. The good news is that once you have this surgery you will never see that weight again. good luck and stay positive

I know EXACTELY how you are feeling. One year ago, I too was at my heaviest ever when I went in for my physical. 250, I cried when I told my PCP that I wanted a ref for gastric bypass surgery. I was ashamed of my self, how can I let myself get so huge. Me a former aerobics instructor, 25 year military professional who know how to workout, etc, etc. But guess what, I got over the number on the scale and knew I had to confront my food Issues. Simply, I was addicted to food because it tasted so darn good and I had to eat large amounts of it. With this sleeve I can still enjoy food but in small amounts, so I can now lose weight easier with my sleeve and with my excercise regimen. Welcome friend to this site and to your decision to finally get healthy. I am now at a BMI of 28%, and 15 more lbs to a healthy normal BMI of 24%. I haven't weighed 179LBS in 20 years and it was because of my decision to get the sleeve :D:lol::rolleyes::) .

I know how you feel, I didnt know I was as big as I was until I went into my first consult. My heighest was 360, but you gotta look at it as this will be the biggest you will ever be, you will be losing weight and wont ever be that heavy again.

They sleep study sucked, but I found out I did have sleep apnea, it was crazy because I never thought I did, I didnt wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air or anything, they made me take another one wearing the mask, and my insurance gave me one at the time to wear, Im not sure if it is gone none but I feel I sleep better are rarely wake up with horrible headaches like I use to.

Thanks for the replies all! I definitly am looking at this optimisticly like okay now I can just start from here and NEVER be this weight again! It was tough to see I've gotten to this weight but I'm thankful that I'm here doing this and I'm just more confident in my decision then ever before. I am definitly starting to impliment post op habit. Even in the last week before my consult I've been starting. I've been drinking 80oz of Water a day (I refil a 20 ounce bottle 4 times a day) and have been sipping it all through the day. Been trying to eat higher Protein too and cut out carbs. Today they told me there is no pre op diet for the office BUT I've decided to do one anyway. I want to try to loose 20-30lbs pre op. The nurse practicioner told me it was a good idea, so I'm going to start replacing 1 meal a day with a Protein Drink (currently doing research to find a good tasting one lol) and then she said I could work up to 2 shakes a day and a sensible to meal for the third. So that is what I'll be doing!

Ashley- I'm really anxious for the sleep study! I wasn't sure I needed it but since I told her I snore and sometimes have insomnia she thought it was a good idea. I've always been weird about my sleep habits so I'm like ehhhh anxious! Did you fall asleep easily there? I'm nervous that I'm not gonna be able to sleep lol argg

The sleep study you are hooked to a lot of wires. I made sure to wake up early the night before so when i got to my sleep study i was exhusted. I even went for a long walk before. I have trouble sleeping in different places that i dont know. I was also neverous becasue i was afraid that i had sleep apena. It turned out that i didnt. keep you head up. it is only one night!!!

The sleep study you are hooked to a lot of wires. I made sure to wake up early the night before so when i got to my sleep study i was exhusted. I even went for a long walk before. I have trouble sleeping in different places that i dont know. I was also neverous becasue i was afraid that i had sleep apena. It turned out that i didnt. keep you head up. it is only one night!!!

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna get up extra early that day, take a long walk and tire myself out. I too have problems sleeping in a bed that isn't mine but usually will pass out anywhere if I'm exhausted enough so I'll make sure I'm really tired. Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies all! I definitly am looking at this optimisticly like okay now I can just start from here and NEVER be this weight again! It was tough to see I've gotten to this weight but I'm thankful that I'm here doing this and I'm just more confident in my decision then ever before. I am definitly starting to impliment post op habit. Even in the last week before my consult I've been starting. I've been drinking 80oz of Water a day (I refil a 20 ounce bottle 4 times a day) and have been sipping it all through the day. Been trying to eat higher Protein too and cut out carbs. Today they told me there is no pre op diet for the office BUT I've decided to do one anyway. I want to try to loose 20-30lbs pre op. The nurse practicioner told me it was a good idea, so I'm going to start replacing 1 meal a day with a Protein Drink (currently doing research to find a good tasting one lol) and then she said I could work up to 2 shakes a day and a sensible to meal for the third. So that is what I'll be doing!

Ashley- I'm really anxious for the sleep study! I wasn't sure I needed it but since I told her I snore and sometimes have insomnia she thought it was a good idea. I've always been weird about my sleep habits so I'm like ehhhh anxious! Did you fall asleep easily there? I'm nervous that I'm not gonna be able to sleep lol argg

Its pretty uncomfortable because you have all these wires and can only move so much, I did bring pillows from home which was nice. The first one I felt like I just laid in bed all night, the lady said I feel asleep for a couple hours (I think they only need a hour of straight sleep for the results) for the second one I decided to not sleep the day before so I could actually sleep lol, and when it came time to sleep I think I was sleeping in about a hour lol.

The lady said it was most likely because of the mask, its really weird and first but once you get used to it its not to bad. I will be honest and say I didnt wear it to much at home, I should have because it really does help a lot with helping you sleep, when I did wear it I would be in the same position when I woke up in the morning, I would usually toss and turn all night, I would wake up without a headache and actually feel more energized.

I have no idea if I still have sleep apnea, I no longer have insurance and had to return the machine back in December. It would be kinda cool to take another test and see how much my breathing has changed since losig 100lbs+. I might still have the papers laying around but I think it said I stop breathing like 5 times per minute.

You know, It is always easier in life to NOT do anything than to do something. (kinda how most of us became obese) You are doing something!! Congrats to you. I wish you the best. It took me a long time to just get past the idea that people would view me as weak if I have WLS. I am so glad that I finally went thru with this because if I hadn't, I know I would have just kept gaining. We are all strong for making a decision to do something about it.

. The nurse practicioner told me it was a good idea, so I'm going to start replacing 1 meal a day with a Protein drink (currently doing research to find a good tasting one lol) and then she said I could work up to 2 shakes a day and a sensible to meal for the third. So that is what I'll be doing!

I know everyone here probably has their own fav Protein Drink...mine is Chike brand. I use skim milk, 1 scoop Very vanilla, 1 scoop chocolate, 1 cup mixed frozen fruit and about 3 tablespoons of Chobani vanilla Yogurt. Blend for a yummy smoothie :)

Hugs! The sleeve is going to change your life in so many wonderful ways. Make sure to take pics of yourself now so you can see your progress later. I look forward to following your journey. Best wishes!