Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Can People Not See It?

So from my highest weight (April 2012) I've lost about 40 lbs. Within the last 3 weeks I've lost 20 lbs. I see people every day that have seen me every step of the way and no one has mentioned any weight loss???? I have not shared that I had the VSG, just went MIA (teacher on summer break) but REALLY??? No one notices a 40 lb loss? I must live among crazy people! /rant.

Don't despair! U mentioned that these people see u everyday. This could be why no one has said anything. I've noticed that I get the most compliments or acknowledgement of weight loss if I run into people that don't see me everyday. Hang in there! People will definitely see the difference. :)

My theory (just for myself) is that people wonder what is different or they see but they don't want to say anything to not be rude.

I've had a LOT of " wow you look good today" or "something's different, hair, make up, etc! I dont say too much because I do not involve my clients and friends in my medical life- but it's funny trying to see them figure out what it is :)

So from my highest weight (April 2012) I've lost about 40 lbs. Within the last 3 weeks I've lost 20 lbs. I see people every day that have seen me every step of the way and no one has mentioned any weight loss???? I have not shared that I had the VSG, just went MIA (teacher on summer break) but REALLY??? No one notices a 40 lb loss? I must live among crazy people! /rant.

sometimes people are sensitive about their weight so others don't mention it. I have gained 69lbs over the last school year only a few mentioned how much weight I have gained. Others didn't mention it at all which has made me feel much better. Take it as a compliment that they may want to respect your privacy. Or maybe they don't want to acknowledge your success.

You know... I thought of the same thing. I work in a nursing home where Im in contact of peers, patients, and their family members on a DAILY basis. If I wear a different shirt, someone has something to say about it (LOL), So I know when the weight falls off, and Im not around grazing at the pot lucks, or birthday parties, people may (or may not) have comments or questions....

I asked this same question when I was about 50 pounds out, if you want to read the responses. And everyone was right, a lot of people think it's rude, don't know if they should say anything, or just simply don't notice b/c they don't pay close attention. There is a "magical" point when they will start saying something, and then you won't be able to avoid it! In just this last week, I've had more people tell me, "You don't look like the same person anymore."

Just enjoy feeling great and watching the loss!

A quote I saw on Pintrest: it takes 4 weeks for you to notice weightless, 8 weeks for family to notice, 12 weeks for friends, 16 weeks for acquaintances.

So they will notice soon.

I asked this same question when I was about 50 pounds out, if you want to read the responses. And everyone was right, a lot of people think it's rude, don't know if they should say anything, or just simply don't notice b/c they don't pay close attention. There is a "magical" point when they will start saying something, and then you won't be able to avoid it! In just this last week, I've had more people tell me, "You don't look like the same person anymore."

Just enjoy feeling great and watching the loss!

I don't say anything to others about their weight loss for all of the reasons Emlefe states. Also, for the same reason it is not acceptable to comment on weight gain, I don't comment on weight loss. Let's face it, people who lose weight are very likely to gain it again. Of course, we are in a different situation, but others don't know that.

It took about 60 pounds before co-workers started to take note. Also once I broke down and bought clothes that fit rather then the baggy old ones it made a difference. I also get the "did you cut your hair? " really? My hair is super short to start with.

People who see you every day aren't going to notice as much as people who only see you once in a while... Also, it extremely taboo to talk about someone's weight at work. People have gotten in serious trouble for that in recent history.

Just know you're doing a great job and keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I have the opposite problem. Everyone else notices the loss and I can't see it. I see that my clothes are baggy,but I can't see any other real changes. Even though I've lost nearly 80 pounds since this all began. (60 since the surgery 3/19)

My partner thinks there is something mentally wrong with me for not seeing it.

I have the opposite problem. Everyone else notices the loss and I can't see it. I see that my clothes are baggy' date='but I can't see any other real changes. Even though I've lost nearly 80 pounds since this all began. (60 since the surgery 3/19)

My partner thinks there is something mentally wrong with me for not seeing it.[/quote']

I don't see it either!! On me not you lol I've lost 38lbs already n I see me the same. We will see how it goes tomorrow BACK TO WORK after two awesome weeks off lol :) maybe we will notice next year lol

I lost 75 pounds many years ago and from that experience I know it takes a long time for you to see weight loss in yourself. Taking regular pics can help though. For some reason, it is easier to see our own weight loss in pics.

I know how you feel, I just posted a before and after photo of myself on fb showing my 70lb wt loss and not a single comment, what's up with that. Not one like not a peep from anyone, that is why I like this site because you guys understand.

Finding MeMe-I'd love to see a photo of your amazing progress.

thanks guys. My husband notices every pound in some way..."Oh your checks are smaller", "Oh your toes look smaller" he's so sweet and encouraging. I guess I really bought in to it ;) it doesn't really matter what other people think, I did this for me. I just think some skinny people are cuckoo and see everyone who is overweight as fat and they are fat until they are skinny, there are no degrees of "fatness" with them.