Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird, weird, weird!

Wouldn't you know it, a day before a fill my band decides to make itself known again! I think it knows what's up tomorrow and just wanted to remind me that even though I haven't been able to feel much restriction lately it's still in there. Were its little silicone feelings hurt?

Today at lunch I had one piece of seaweed go down the wrong way, and holy cow, NOW I remember what PBing is all about! I haven't done it in a couple of months, not really, but today I had to actually leave the building and try to walk it off. Didn't work, so I went into the library and was able to rid myself of the offending piece. YUCK!!

So maybe I don't need to be tighter. :cool: But I do need a kick in the pants about eating, and now I'll be happy for the fluoroscopic look at things. (This was a pretty bad episode, I'm afraid.)

9 months out, and the band can still surprise me...

Yeah, for some reason when you neglect or forget abt it, it says I'm still here. I go in for my 1st fill on the 18th. It will be 6wks. I've held onto the 15lbs I lost. I'm ready for it. How will my diet be effected, since we are going on vacation 3 days later. Ha! I think my doctor said about 2 days liquids, does that sound correct?

If your doctor said two days of liquids, then try to do that. My doctor says one day of liquids and then take it slowly (good advice no matter WHEN, as it turns out).

Your vacation will be affected in that you won't be able to pig out, which I know was one of my favorite things about vacation. :cool: But pigouts are a thing of the past now, and we all have to learn to live with that.

Have a great vacation...are you going anyplace fun?

I had my first fill Monday and my doctor told me 3 days of liquids. I get to eat tomorrow! :cool:

You girls are lucky!

hi Alex what were you eating seaweed? i have never heard of eating that. that sounds very scarey to me. i have never pbing. i am almost 5 weeks out . in one more week i get to eat normally. off the soft solids i am really looking forward to popcorn but i am afraid of it also. i dont want to pb.:cool:

I was eating sashimi for lunch, and on the plate was some seaweed. I knew when I popped it into my mouth that it was pretty chewy, but wasn't 100% sure it was what caused the problem until it reappeared an hour later. Blech.

I know the doctor said that I could wait and have it a week later, but I'm so excited for the drop of some poundage, I don't want to wait. Hey, I've got to reming myself (look where all of my PIG OUTS) got me. HA! HA! We are just going a couple of hrs away to Gatlinburg to Dollywood and Waterpark. It'll be fun.

Alex, I've been wondering about sushi. Sorry you had the experience but maybe it will save me. Darn, seaweed coming up? Heck, sushi is one of my faves.

But my band surprised me at lunch. I've never had a fill. I'm a newbie. But I never feel restriction, and today I did. I've only felt restriction a few times since I had my band. Suddenly out of nowhere I got restricted, hallelujah! I had one very tiny PB.

I'm a lucky girl. Karen H. is the person responsible for my band. We met on line, she told me about her surgery, and then she came to Vegas for a convention. My husband was so impressed by her that he told me to go borrow the money. Now I'm banded... and Karen is currently packing her Idaho house and business and moving to Vegas! She just had her first fill but wants to go back in 6 weeks for more. I'm gonna try to hold out for that long so we can go together. I'll finally have a Nevada band buddy!

BLECH i had a pb episode yesterday too. the first since i have gotten retricted, and i to have loosened up a bit.

let us know what you see under fluoro and if you get any fill.

i think i'll be getting a tiny one in august, maybe sept.

DeLarla, first: Hey, you're cute! Nice to see you!! :D

Sashimi has never been a problem for me if I eat just the fish and don't go further than I should. Six or seven good-sized pieces have been a good lunch choice for me all along. A few weeks ago I had a whole 13-piece lunch meal (and I mean 13 BIG pieces) with nary a burp. But yesterday's meal included a small side of seaweed salad, and I just should have known better. :cool: :)

That's great you're getting a band buddy. It's so wonderful to meet other bandsters face to face. (Right, Mary Beth? ;-)

Shelly, this fill went really well. I told the doctor about my recent lessening of restriction and he agreed that it's certainly possible for several reasons--loss of weight, fluids in my stomach tissue redistributing themselves, fairies taking a drink here and there (OK, I made that last one up)--and on the fluoro it was clear that the barium scooted right through. Everything looked good, though, nice esophageal movement and good placement and so on. He added .2 cc to the band and sent me on my merry way.

So I'm fixed! Today I'm sticking to Soup (tomato seafood bisque...YUM!!) and it's feeling great.

I LOVE MY BAND!! And Dr. Bertha is pretty cool, too. :D

My daughter and I had our first fill FINALLY..this past Saturday. We have the Swedish band and I got 2.8cc and she got 4cc. The doctor started out with 4 and went up or down as needed. Heather was good at 4 he said but me..NO WAY....I was totally closed at 4. The barium and Water wouldn't go down at all at 4...then not at 3.8 or 3.5 or 3 dadada...so I ended up with 2.8. It was cool watching it all under fluoroscopy. That was the first time I got to see my band and both pouches. He showed me the band, the tubing, the 2 pouches and all. The port just looked like a round, dark circle and you could see the needle going into it. I know I've had a fill...I watched it all in action and even at 3 it was too tight. Only problem is I don't really notice a whole lot of difference in how my food goes down. Sometimes it still gets stuck cuz I don't chew well enough but no more than before the fill. He did say he didn't want to get either of us too tight on the first fill and since we are going on a trip he felt safe with us at the amounts he gave us. He didn't want us 1,500 miles away and get to PBing or unable to swallow. I've heard some say they dont notice a diff. for 2-3 weeks after a fill and others say they notice right away. I guess it's a "wait and see" game. I'm eating less than I used to before the band, but feel that I can sometimes eat more than I should even now with the fill. I think we are both going to need another adjustment in a month but time will tell. For now, we are heading off to Tennessee to see my daughter and granddaughter and enjoy being able to eat without any problems.

P.S. By the way, my daughter says she has been hurting in her side since the adjustment. The pain isn't in the port area...more to the left of it; more toward her left side. Anyone have this problem after a fill?????

Topsy, the pain your daughter feels may not be related to the fill at all. Or it may be a result of the poking and prodding she got--sometimes the docs are a little rougher than we realize, especially if you've had any numbing agent.

Alexandra What a ka-winky-dink.. The Sushi bar near work knows me well, when they see me coming they bring out a bowl of Soup as I sit down and serve all my fish without seaweed or rice. But 3 weeks ago I was in the city getting my hair done and decided to go to the mall and do some shopping....Well saw a sushi joint so stopped for a few bites. First Maguro and Salmon then a few Calif rolls. It was a matter of 5 minutes and off to the bathroom I went. Was definitely the seaweed as I did have trouble chewing it.

Glad to hear all the fills went well. I've been contemplating getting a fill soon and check on that possible kink in the tube? I'm able to get alot of fruit and some big salads down. The other thing I've notice I don't hiccup as much. My last fill was in January so its time for a check-up.

Topsy I have a Swedish band as well and am currently at 5.7ccs but my first fill was 1.75ccs and 4 closed me off completely. Have a good trip.:cool:

Guest michael

almost one yr since surgery -- down 62# what on earth is Pbing:phanvan

Ah, yes the seaweed pb! I remember it well, along with all of the other foods that just didn't go down well. For example, even one bite of a poptart is not a good idea! Pickles that aren't well-chewed, spicy chorizo ( I think it was the skin that did it) and surprisingly, strawberries!?

Kathe

25/07/03

298/211/150ish