Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calling collage people

Nana~

Heya

I start my first time in college on Tuesday!

I am so nervous! like a kid!

I went and got 2 of my books, next payday I'll buy the other books those classes dont start until later~

What do I need?

Do I need a back pack? A folder? notebook paper? lol I have no idea what you take to college! one of my things is a lecture! Can I bring a tape recorder? I have no idea what I'm doing! I am so excited though!

Tuesday is going to be a very big day for me!!!

Nana~

Congratulations! I'm starting my first time to college this week too!

I was so excited a month ago that I bought a backback, notebooks, pens, pencils, erasers . . . all the junk the 4th grader moms were buying! LOL

I have a little tape recorder and I expect that as long as it doesn't make noise or cause distraction no one will have a problem with it.

What classes are you taking? I'm only taking two classes. I haven't been in a classroom for 27 years and I figured I better start small this semester, then expand next. My placement tests qualify me for the honors program, but in order to participate you have to take at least 12 hours, so I decided to take two "non-core" classes for this first go round and then decide if I want to take the honors courses. Wish me luck.

Again, congratulations, and best wishes to you on this new adventure in your life!

I carried a messenger bag for books, a binder notebook, a folder and spiral notebook for each class to keep my notes organized, Lots of pens and pencils, a highlighter, a calculator for math, science, and chemistry, a hole puncher for handouts and syllabus's, and used the voice activated recorder for some lectures.

Some instructors wont allow recorders, so ask ahead of time. If you plan to resell your books after class is over, don't mark in them. Try not to make the mistake of writing down everything your instructor says, if you try to write too much you won't listen as well.

Ask to see examples of A+ papers so you can see the type of writings your instructor is looking for. Sit at the front so there's no distractions between you and the instructor, and ask, "exactly what will we need to know to pass the test?" (write that down) & write down everything they write on the board.

These tactics had me on the presidents list (all A's) at my college semester after semester.

ooo, I'll have to ask about the tape recorder then!

Donna,

I'm going F/T taking Govt (Texas politics)-Basic Math- Public speaking- Stretching and flexibility class- and athletic injuries class.

5 classes 13 hours

I start Tuesday with my Govt class then stretch and flex starts Friday and so on picking one up at a time until I'll have all five going in the end of sept.

Sounds like I need to go thru the extra school supplies closet and dig me out some stuff!

Nana~

Post it notes are a life saver - on specific pages in your numerous reading adventures - I tend to take notes while I read - then I never have to re-read something again- you 'can' highlight (yellow is best) in books and still re-sell them, at least at my college -- go easy, just highlight important points

to remind yourself what to do, get a GOOD assignment notebook - one that gives you plenty of space to write your assignments in and your 'real life' to-dos......

I tried using a tape recorder but it never picked up very well - you'll learn fast that anythings said TWICE is good to write down -

and I agree about asking to see "sample" papers - they are a great help

I've managed a 4.0 too for the past two years - it isn't easy with a family - but you'll love it and grow and enjoy it - I'm sure

my best suggestion is to read 'ahead' - if you can do that you will never fall behind - even if you have a sick day or two - and it keeps stress to a minimum, well worth it in the long run - good luck!

I bought all my books used and was still 100.00 for 2 books!

Some of them had writing in them, the ones I got had yellow highlighting in it. I looked thru a few hoping to get one that had good highlights in it lol

I have no idea how reselling them works but thats a ways off anyhow :D

Nana~

most colleges have a buy-back time right at the end of each term (before or during final exams) and this is the best time to re-sell most of them as you get the most money back at that time, nothing compared to what you paid though so you might want to keep a few that are really useful....also if a course isn't being taught the next term hold onto the book and sell it the next buy-back when it will be used again, hope I didn't confuse you

nope that makes sense. My hubby has all of his books still he didnt know he could resell them lol. The lady at the shop told me as long as the spine is not damaged and there is no Water damage they'll buy them back. UNLESS they have too many in stock then I'd have to sell at another store or wait.

Nana~

Good luck in your classes! I've been in a summer semester since July, oh the joys. What I tend to do for each semester is buy mutiple subject notebooks from FiveStar. They're huge length wize and I use one "subject" portion for each class. Then I'm only technically carrying one notebook everywhere, instead of 3 or 5 separate ones. I also found that mechanical pencils are the way to go, along with pens obviously. Regular pencils in your backpack can make a huge mess, you'll end up with marks on papers and wonder how they got that way, hehe. Mechanical ones save you the trouble.

Ooh, good luck. I'm doing a Bachelor of Primary Education, I love being a university student! It sure beats working, lol. Although I get very stressed about fitting study in around family responsibilities and I should NOT be here right now, gotta do an essay on "examining the intersection of gender and ethnicity in the novel Looking for Alibrandi and assessing how the novel links identity with the two". G-r-o-a-n. Due Monday, 1500 words, I NEED TO FINISH IT!!!

I've found being a student amazing compared to last time I was at uni back in the late 80's. All my lectures are streamed now which means I can download them and pop them on my MP3 and listen to them while I make beds, cook dinner, whatever. I rarely have to actually go to uni. I do whatever units I can off campus too so even the tutorials are online.

What I have found is that as an adult, with anything humanities based, your life experience adds so much maturity to your work, its very easy to get good marks when you're being assessed alongside 18 year olds. You effortlessly bring a depth to your writing that earns you very high marks.

I just started back to school this past week. I am a sophmore. Good luck to you. Everyone has given you really good advice thus far. The only thing I would add is to get a "feel" for each class on the first day. I wait to buy all of my school supplies until I know how each class is going to be. Usually the first day is spent going over the syllabus and such, so be sure to have at least pen and paper to write down any important information. After that first day you usually know whether there will be lots of writing (notebook and pens) or whether the prof. teaches from the book (highlighters and/or sticky notes) or if there will be lots of hand-outs (a folder) Anyway, good luck to you!!! Hope it's a great semester for all of us!

Nana,

100.00 bucks is good, I spent 1,100.00 on books this semester.. It killed me.. LOL But I am in Nursing so I expected that much. I am so proud of you for starting college, It was the best thing I ever did. I have no clue how I have mantained a 4.0 with three kids under 5 but I have. Good luck girl....

well I only can hope to do as good as Y'all!

I start Tues, Hubby starts Wed. I will be F/T he will be P/T and the kids are back in School too!

I will take a folder and a spiral on the first day to see what I'll need :)

I start of with Govt Tues and Thurs then I pick up Stretch and flex on Friday. Someone told me they were wearing sweats to class so I think it will be alot of actually stretching :) That would be cool :)

Okies 5:30 AM I'm up getting things ready for the kids to get to school lol

Chat laters~

Nana~

Nana congratulations to you and hubby for going back to school. Losing weight and confidence makes you feel like you conquer anything. Good Luck!

Well done to all of you for juggling study with your already too-full lives.

When I was at uni, I was a hopeless last minute crammer. But one of my friends used to do 1 hour revision every night - where she made up summary notes etc. She did this right from the very first day of class, and always had High Distinctions and the very best marks. Maybe if I had copied her tactics I'd remember more of what it is I'm supposed to be doing now...

Good luck, and enjoy!