Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3Rd Year "sleever" Blues......

Hi,

I was "sleeved" in May 2009 and even though I still experience some pain if I eat too much,

I am stil able to eat alot!!!! I wish that I could get my tummy tight again. I gained weight and

I am really getting desperate.....again.

Does anyone know if I can continue with the gastric by-pass procedure even though I have

only about 50lbs to loose. If so, do you know if the surgery is any cheaper being the first

phase, vertical sleeve, is already done?

Thanks.

Typically the 2nd stage is to have the DS (duodonel switch). While it is possible to have the GP from the sleeve, there are VERY few surgeons in the U.S. qualified to do that procedure.

May I ask, have you tried the 5 day pouch test? Google that, and it will tell you what to do. Maybe try going to all liquids for a week, that usually does wonder for tightening the tummy.

Did you ever reach your final goal weight? If so, is the 50# what you have gained since then?

Maybe you can also post what your routine is looking like. What are you eating? Are you tracking your calories or carbs? Are you exercising? Etc... Then, others can help chime in with advice that might help you.

I agree, your tool the sleeve is still there, maybe getting back to basics will help whip your sleeve back into shape. Have you tried little miss diva's boot camp?? Also start logging your food in my fitness pal, make your self accountable for every crumb that goes into your mouth. Putting your body thru surgery should not be taken lightly, so I say at least try getting back to basics before you consider going under the knife again. Best of luck.

Those are good questions to have the information from. You can do another surgery if needed, but can gain wait ofter that procedure is done. So is there any way you can try going back to the basics and eat Protein first and veggies? It would be worth a try. Also, look into what emotional eating is and work on catching yourself when your eating from emotions and not real hunger. Maybe getting into counseling could help you identify and stop the triggers to eating when emotional. ;)

I'm 3 years out and I thought my stomach streteched too much. Well I've found that when I went back to eating tiny portions similar to when I was first sleeved, my stomach shrunk some. I am back to being full on very small portions of dense Protein.

If you're eating slider foods, of course you're going to be able to eat a lot more.

The 2nd stage of a sleeve is not a gastric bypass. it's the DS. If you don't know anything about it, there is a DS forum on obesitiyhelp.com

I do not think you shoudl assume you need surgery again.

The sleeve is supposed to help us learn new habits, get away from old situations and relatonships with food. It was a long-term tool for longer term results.

maybe do the liquid boot-camp while getting back into the mentality you need to be Ok again.

I am not accusing but perhaos if I mention it will help...so with the risk of being the b***h - lets get real:

Your stomach has not expanded enough that if you are following an healthy lifestlye and "the rules" yo uwould be gaining any real amount of weight.

You have to sick to healthy foods - and you can't ignore that carbs, sodas, fats, and junk/fast/fried foods are no good.

To be gaining you are doing something different than what you were doing to lose. That's it in a nutshell.

The malabsorptive route will not help in the long run if you do not correct your habits.

:( I don't want to be mean and I sure didn't intend to - I want you (all of us) to be okay, and successful.

Yes, it is true that I only have myself to blame and I have no problem with anyone telling me so.

Gotta get back to basics and back on track. Thanks for your comments.

My surgeon does do sleeve to GB, but I think you have received some really good advice so far on this. I think the “get back to basics” approach is really where it is at. I know that just because I had this surgery does not mean that all of my issues with food (my relationship with food) has magically changed by removing part of my stomach. I still struggle with issues. It is hard, it is work, it stinks!... but it is my reality. I know that I will have to work at this the rest of my life. food for me is like a drink to an alcoholic. Some folks can have "just one cookie". I CAN'T!!! I have to be very careful. The hard part for those of us that struggle with food issues like this is that we can't live without food, where as with other addictions, you can live without those items and still survive. I think this makes food addition the hardest of all addictions to wage war on. We must eat. We can't just quit cold turkey.

I feel for you and I am sending you some positive vibes to help you get back on track. When you feel like you want something sweet, have a SF popsicle. When you need something salty, try putting some salt on some fresh watermelon. Yes, I know it is an increase in salt, but some of us have low sodium, and crave salt, so this has worked to settle down that salt craving by a more healthy means. These two things really save me from going off the rails. They are my life line!!! No joke.

You can do this. We will support you. Go take a walk when the chips call your name even if it is just around your house. Find a new hobby, something to do with your hands that will occupy your mind. That is me. I have to be active mind and body, or my mind thinks of food. TV watching is the worse time for me, so I watch very little of it any more. I wish you the very best. I totally understand even though my sleeve is fairly new. Old habits are very hard to break.

Well, I am not 3 years out yet, and pretty much everything that I would suggest has already been said (getting back to basics).

So... ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))!! You can do it! You've already taken the right steps to getting this under control by coming here and asking for help. If its true that you've made some poor choices, then guess what? It's fixable because you chose the right things now!

I would work on going back to basics before thinking about another surgery!

Good luck!

You really have had some great responses and suggestions. I completely agree with Oregondaisy. I am nearly two years out and more recently I have gone back to eating very much like I did when my sleeve was 'new'... I am finding that my sleeve is tighter now too.

I really want to get to goal, well, at least my surgeon's goal and I am just 10lbs away... so eating like a new sleever, I thought, was a good idea... it seems to be doing the job after 6mths of bouncing around all over the place I am back to my all time low if 164... just need it to go down a little further now!

Remember, there is no expiry date on your sleeve, it is with you for life!

Well done on a good job so far, and good luck in getting the last bit of you gone =]

You've already received excellent advice and from very experienced sleevers. Get back to basics. I'm almost 2 years out and this has never failed me. I never have to do liquids unless my stomach feels sick, otherwise I just do Protein first, veggies and fruits second and "good" carbs last. And lots of Water. It will come off, and if possible do some "Calories out" by doing exercise. Log your activities for awhile if you have to.

((((((hugs)))))) It is ALWAYS easier said than done, but we will ALWAYS be here too to offer support and motivation whenever needed. I've fallen off the wagon at times, but I make sure I get back on with the help of my friends.

:)

I'm 3 years out and I thought my stomach streteched too much. Well I've found that when I went back to eating tiny portions similar to when I was first sleeved, my stomach shrunk some. I am back to being full on very small portions of dense Protein.

If you're eating slider foods, of course you're going to be able to eat a lot more.

@Oregondaisy - the information you shared is extremely good to know. I appreciate the info.

Try to find a support group if possible. That really keeps me motivated and accountable. I have noticed I can eat more now at about 18 months out. I have to choose to eat Protein first and measure my portions. I also weigh myself daily. Anytime my weight goes up, I cut the carbs. You can do this!!! It's so hard, but just know we understand. Hugs!

@Oregondaisy - the information you shared is extremely good to know. I appreciate the info.

Thanks, that's really nice to hear. :D