Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a drain is not a death sentence!

It's not a big deal and if it's not necessary the Dr won't put one in. If the dr chooses to put one in, for whatever reason, then it's obviously necessary! If I had the choice, based on other experiences and things I have witnessed (not necessarily having to do with me per se) I would choose to have a drain.

I certainly wouldnt choose my dr based solely on whether or not he uses a drain.

Hey y'all. I'm a member of this Forum and I am also a physician. Although not a surgeon, I remember my surgical rotations.

The drain is a tool the surgeon uses to avoid accumulation of blood in the surgical area. Whether he usess one is a choice he makes based on his experience and the risk of the formation of a bood pocketg. A pocket of blood is irritating to the surrrounding tissues as well as well as a great breeding spot for bacteria.

Dr. Ramos Kelly is an excellent surgeon with many many years of experience. He is very definetly an authority in Bariatric Surgery aswell as in other surgical fields.

He operated on me on Thursday June 7th. I have no complaints. I was happy to allow him to decide whether I needed a drain or not. I had one and it was no big deal. Removing it on the second day post op did not hurt 1 bit. Plus I had the added benefit of another leak test.

In addition, Omar, his coordinator goes the extra mile in meeting all of our needs. Cecy, Dr's wife, is part of the team and she lends her energy and nursing expertise to assure all bases are covered.

As you can see I am very pleased with Dr. Ramos Kelly and I recomend him without reservations.

Alp!!!! So glad to hear you are doing well and knowing you are a physician really puts my mind at ease! Thank you! Headed there tomorrow! :)

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly and I had NO drain. However, the two other patients I met while I was there had them.

I had a drain and it was no big deal! It is a great peace of mind also because when u have all your leak tests (i had 3) u can visually see if there are problems! I would not have surgery by anyone who does not use drains, that is just plain laziness and poor judgement on the surgeons part! But its ur body and if ur ok with ur doctor being cheap and skimping out on things, then who am i to say anything except "good luck!"

Hi I'm new! Been reading your questions and comments for a few days now. Sure feels like the place for me! I am getting sleeved by Dr. Kelly in less than two weeks!

By the way, I'm wondering what to pack for my trip. I'm leaving from northern mn, Mexico seems like worlds away!!! I'm guessing loose clothing for after surgery?

Ooops this thread is about drain tubes

Maybe I'm in the right place. New to this I'm a little confused on how to join the conversation!

lol who knows we all just chat, try to stay on the topics I guess but if you dont who cares lol to answer your question.. I would find a thread that talks about what to bring.. we are all pre op and probably have the same question too :)

Just jump in any time. There IS a sticky note pinned on what to pack in the pre op forum though. It's pretty informational:-)

Thank you so much found the sticky notes you guys are great!