Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Terrified Of Losing My Hair!

I haven't had surgery yet, and my biggest fear is losing my hair. I have thick hair right now, and had a tiny bit of loss when I had my kids, but that is all. Does everyone lose hair, or just some people?

I lose some, but nowhere near as much as I expected. I started taking Biotin about 2 months post-op and I've been a fanatic about keeping my Protein intake high.

I lost a lot of my hair when I was 31 and going through Chemo. At that time I learned that I would never complain about a bad hair day and in the end, my hair came back better than every and it's been 23 years that I have been cancer free.

I was just sleeved last week and if I lose hair, well I lose hair and stlll will be healthier with the weight and Hair loss than I would be if I didn't get sleeved and kept the weight on. Its all about priorities. .

My NUT told us that as long as we keep our Protein levels up, we shouldn't really expect any Hair loss.< /p>

Remember Hair loss is temporary.........I lost a lot when I had LapBand surgery in 06 and it came back after 1 year. I have very fine hair and am afraid too. I figure I will be going through so many changes the first year, hair loss being part of it. Protien and supplements are on the priority list for total health (including hair). Good luck.

I was a little freaked out about it too, but it honestly does grow back. I started losing hair about a month after surgery...a lot of hair. I have a lot to begin with, but it was still a little freaky. I took my Vitamins, ate way more Protein than I had too, but still my body went into a kind of shock after the surgery. The Hair loss lasted about 2 months, a lot at first, then slowed down, and started growing back after a couple of months. No bald spots or anything, just a thinning.

My surgeon said that most people will experience some hair loss. If you think about it, your body is turning off the "non-essential" functions so it can focus on burning your fat for fuel. hair is pretty non-essential as far as our bodies are concerned, though I certainly don't feel that way! lol

I'm taking Vitamins for my general good health, a multi, Calcium citrate with vit. D, and will be taking Biotin and b Vitamins when my stomach settles a bit more.

I'm personally not worried about losing hair (though I DO love my hair) because it isn't permanent. For me, it's the same as having skin flaps hanging from my stomach and my arms--just part of the process!

My dr said the reaspn for Hair loss is not getting enough Protein. We'll see. :)

I lose some' date=' but nowhere near as much as I expected. I started taking Biotin about 2 months post-op and I've been a fanatic about keeping my Protein intake high.[/quote']

Is that as soon as you can start taking Biotin?

Yeah, it may sound stupid, but the Hair loss was the only thing about the surgery I was worried about. I am Apostolic and do not and have not cut my hair for about 27 years. It was beautiful and a joy to me. When I started, my hair was very thick and came all the way to just above my knees. Now I am right at 4 months post-op and have lost >6 inches in length and > half of the volume. It is very heart breaking to me, but I have to look at it this was; I could take the chance of losing part of my hair and live or keep it all and die. I am getting healthier now, so maybe it will grow faster than it did before. If not, I'll buy me some clip-on curls...lol.

1/28/12 #1

This was my hair pre-op (and my bootie 87# bigger!)

This was my biggest fear as well. I did lose quite a bit from month 3-7. I was nervous about it. I felt like it was a ton but It stopped and I look completely normal. Don't worry, I have had so much regrowth as well. Nobody noticed the Hair loss except me.....it will be so worth it!!! TRUST ME

Mine started to thin a tiny bit at 4.5 months. I think the loss has stopped. It's hardly even noticeable. I have a friend going through chemo so I don't complain these days even when I find enough hair for a wig on the bathroom floor ;-)

My hair is super super thick to begin with. So I don't worry so much about it thinning some. Might help me cool down in this summer heat!

Thanks for all of the positive support. I too have pretty thick hair. As long as no one else can notice it, I will be fine. I know I am being selfish, but my hair is one of my only nice qualities about my body (in my opinion at least) right now. I should stop bitching and just look at the glass as half full.

I'm shedding like a lab in early summer!! I do know that it will grow back, as this already happened to me once at the onset of menopause. It did grow back then, so i'm confident it will this time too. Totally worth it.