Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers & Hair Loss

Usually when you go to get your hair braided these places braid your hair really tight which is why often time women can sometimes lose their hair around the edges. When you get a sew in it is a basic cornrow and you can inform the whether it is too tight or not. Either way take the Biotin and look for products for hair loss' date=' you are not going to go bald and not every person will be the same you may not lose hair at all. I use to do hair just keep your hair conditioned and try not to apply a lot of tension when you see your hair is growing thicker then I would continue relaxing.[/quote']

Thanks Changewithin. Going start looking for a stylist now. I am due for a touch up so I am going to get it done this week before my surgery. That should hold me for about 8 weeks.

Thanks' date=' then braids are out definitely. A sew in weave usually entails braiding the hair under. Do you think this will cause tension? This sound like my option or a hair cut. What did you do?[/quote']

I am getting my hair cut shorter Sat. Im going natural for a while. I got a hair color before surgery one time and my hair came out. The 2 chemicals did not mix. I will wear quick weaves when I want long hair. Getting enough Protein is key. We are what we eat. Everyones hair don't come out. I use a Protein treatment conditioner on my hair. I use Bonner brothers . Its also important 2 use a good hair care product. Everything is not designed for our hair.

I use 2 work in a salon for 5 years.

Ain't no stoppin us now,were on the move !!!!!!<br />Sincerely<br /> Zeta

My surgery is next week so I'm getting my hair relaxed this Friday.

Sent from my iPad using VST

When I got my lapband, I didn't really notice any Hair loss after surgery. My sleeve is being done next week so I'm not sure what will happen then. I wear my hair really short so if push comes to shove, we can cut it shorter or go natural for a while. My cousin has had her sleeve for at least a year now, and she lost LOTS of hair even taking Biotin. Not really sure if she was getting her Protein in though. Let's hope it doesn't come out at all! :)

I was sleeved on May 23. I would not advice you to get chemicals. Make sure you take Biotin everyday. I actually got braids and they really helped my hair.< /p>

For those people taking Biotin, how many milligrams are you taking? I've seen 500 mg up to 10,000 mg. I'm so confused.

Sent from my iPad using VST

No hair as you can see but I'm so drained! Need help, I don't that much and don't take Vitamins what should i do?

No hair as you can see but I'm so drained! Need help' date=' I don't that much and don't take Vitamins what should i do?[/quote']

Hello

I see your a member of NPHC too.

I take the GNC Multi Vitamins . Solotron chewable. They have everything in them.They work for me. I also take extra Iron .

What is NPHC, Yea I'm supposed to be getting some this week. Hopefully they will work for me.

What is NPHC' date=' Yea I'm supposed to be getting some this week. Hopefully they will work for me.[/quote']

National Pan-Hellenic Council

Greek Organization. Divine Nine.

Kappa right?

Yesssssss I am a Kappa to my heartttttttt!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, if the hair loss is going to happen it'll happen. Get your Protein, take your Vitamins and hopefully you won't experience much. But I've read stories on these forums from people who NEVER met Protein goals and never loss hair. I've read about people who ALWAYS met goals and had tons of Hair loss. Go figure?

I am a little over 5 months out and am experiencing some hair loss now. I am natural and wear my hair in a loose fro like style. I see the loss but don't think it's as noticeable to others as it would be if I were wearing it straight. May was really bad with daily loss. So far in June, I see it when I wash it mostly. I've taken 5000 mcg of Biotin daily since 2009.

I wouldn't recommend relaxers, braids, sew ins, or quick weaves. I know you're like really, Pecan?! LOL! Just because you won't see the loss with these styles doesn't mean it won't happen. I have seen more loss when I even comb too much and do anything remotely stressful. I just do wash and gos now. I would wait and see how your hair does. Try doing sets on flexirods or something similar that can be maintained with little stress. Wigs are an option of you can tolerate them, but you must care for your hair underneath. Keep it clean and moisturized.

On a positive note, your girl is down 83 pounds and CA-UUUTE!! You haven't been able to tell me NOTHIN'! I walk by reflection and think, "Brick House over here"! LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yesssssss I am a Kappa to my heartttttttt!!!!!!!

Ok lol

Texas Zeta Phi Beta here.

Unfortunately' date=' if the hair loss is going to happen it'll happen. Get your Protein, take your Vitamins and hopefully you won't experience much. But I've read stories on these forums from people who NEVER met Protein goals and never loss hair. I've read about people who ALWAYS met goals and had tons of Hair loss. Go figure?

I am a little over 5 months out and am experiencing some hair loss now. I am natural and wear my hair in a loose fro like style. I see the loss but don't think it's as noticeable to others as it would be if I were wearing it straight. May was really bad with daily loss. So far in June, I see it when I wash it mostly. I've taken 5000 mcg of Biotin daily since 2009.

I wouldn't recommend relaxers, braids, sew ins, or quick weaves. I know you're like really, Pecan?! LOL! Just because you won't see the loss with these styles doesn't mean it won't happen. I have seen more loss when I even comb too much and do anything remotely stressful. I just do wash and gos now. I would wait and see how your hair does. Try doing sets on flexirods or something similar that can be maintained with little stress. Wigs are an option of you can tolerate them, but you must care for your hair underneath. Keep it clean and moisturized.

On a positive note, your girl is down 83 pounds and CA-UUUTE!! You haven't been able to tell me NOTHIN'! I walk by reflection and think, "Brick House over here"! LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

A quick weave is not bad. Its the way its put in. My hair stylist does it the healthy way. A lot of her clients have, had the sleeve. They did not loss hair. Yes, they take Vitamins. The hair products used on the hair play a big part too. Again, you have 2 take care of your hair like u do ur body.

Its hot here in TX so Sat. I will get my hair cut shorter. I will go natural again. I know after surgery, I have 2 get my workout on. When I volunteer and go 2 meets a wig or quick weave will do .

A quick weave is not bad. Its the way its put in. My hair stylist does it the healthy way. A lot of her clients have' date=' had the sleeve. They did not loss hair. Yes, they take Vitamins. The hair products used on the hair play a big part too. Again, you have 2 take care of your hair like u do ur body.

Its hot here in TX so Sat. I will get my hair cut shorter. I will go natural again. I know after surgery, I have 2 get my workout on. When I volunteer and go 2 meets a wig or quick weave will do .

Ain't no stoppin us now,were on the move !!!!!!<br />Sincerely<br /> Zeta[/quote']

My stylist did them the safe way too, but I didn't like how my hair felt. I stopped getting them in 2008. But if it's working for you, cool! Everyone's hair is different. I was just giving my opinion to the OP. And naturally, taking care of your hair is important. The biggest thing is keeping it moisturized, for me. I see a difference when mine dries out.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using VST