Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost My Taste For Sweets?

Hi all, so this is a blessing and a curse heh... ever since surgery I don't want and gag over basically everything that's sweet. Even things like iced tea/lemonade (arnold palmer) which was my FAVORITE DRINK and now the lemonade tastes sickly sweet to me. I can only tolerate plain black tea. I want bitter, savory and spicy and nothing else!! Makes Protein Shakes unbearable though :-/ Did anyone else completely lose a taste for sugar?

Yes, but it will come back. I now can eat every food I could before surgery...just not a lot of it.

I have had the total opposite happen to me. I was not a sweets person AT ALL prior to surgery. Now I CRAVE sweets! They seem to be the only thing that I can tolerate. I hope it passes....

Huge sweet tooth before, not so much now (and can't tolerate them). Make your own Protein Shakes so you control the sweet--add extra milk or plain yogurt to cut the overly-sweet taste. Or add something non-sweet--and don't gross out, because you really won't taste it--like spinach. It will give you some great nutrition and cut a bit of the sweet. I make a killer Breakfast smoothy with Greek yogurt, almond milk (both unsweetened), spinach, a couple of pecans, and a couple of frozen cherries. Fits perfectly in my magic bullet and is SO GOOD and I don't have to mess with Protein Powder, which my sleeve emphatically rejects. Can't taste the spinach--turns a not-too-pretty color, but it's delicious and not too sweet!

Great advice MeglnNOLA ! You can also add cottage cheese. Once u blend it you cant tell the difference.

Huge sweet tooth before, not so much now (and can't tolerate them). Make your own Protein shakes so you control the sweet--add extra milk or plain yogurt to cut the overly-sweet taste. Or add something non-sweet--and don't gross out, because you really won't taste it--like spinach. It will give you some great nutrition and cut a bit of the sweet. I make a killer Breakfast smoothy with Greek yogurt, almond milk (both unsweetened), spinach, a couple of pecans, and a couple of frozen cherries. Fits perfectly in my magic bullet and is SO GOOD and I don't have to mess with Protein

powder, which my sleeve emphatically rejects. Can't taste the spinach--turns a not-too-pretty color, but it's delicious and not too sweet!

It's funny because two other people I know IRL have recommended a smoothie with spinach... it doesn't gross me out but I wouldn't have thought about it!! Great advice thank you!

Meg has some good suggestions there. For chocolate drinks, I add some unsweetened cocoa powder to the mix to boost the chocolate flavor while cutting the sweetness. If that's too much chocolate, cut it with more milk or yogurt. I do the same thing with my greek yogurt - I'm still not up for straight plain yogurt, but I make a blend of plain yogurt and sweetened vanilla yogurt plus a little vanilla extract; just a touch of sweetness now, but nothing like the commercial flavored yogurts.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound, I guess--full disclosure: I put all sorts of greens in my smoothies, AND I put white Beans in there, too. Baby kale is my current favorite--it just tastes nutty to me, and I love a couple of almonds or pecans in my smoothie anyway. And adding white Beans makes your smoothie creamy and adds Fiber and Protein, too. Use canned white beans (low sodium) and RINSE THEM THOROUGHLY--I open a can, rinse, and sort of pat them dry before putting in a plastic container in the fridge--I use a couple of tablespoons per smoothie. Again, you honestly won't be able to taste them (if you use the low sodium with no meat added, obviously!! LOL).

So, since I've had to make do with "real food" from the beginning (my sleeve did NOT like Protein powder--still doesn't, and I couldn't tolerate eggs until recently), my smoothies have always been a little odd, but they are high in protein, high in Fiber, and low in added sugar. They are not low-carb, having dairy, nuts, fruit, and sometimes beans, but I have never eaten low-carb.

Give it a try--worst thing that happens is you don't like it, and you can wash it down the drain. Best thing, smoothies that use ingredients that YOU control--I use organic produce. I think the white beans go beautifully in a smoothie that has chocolate, Peanut Butter (or Peanut Butter powder, PB2), or coffee flavors.

One small suggestion use Unjury unflavored, so it's not sweet to begin with.

Had my first taste of sweets last night at a congratulatory engagement dinner for my beautiful 25YO dinner.< /p>

It was only one spoonful of chocolate pot d' creme at Benvenuti's Ristorante in Norman, Okla., a wonderful locally owned Italian restaurant.

It was good, but I didn't want another bite -- strange for a person who used to be a chocoholic.

I'm four-and-a-half months out and in a stall for several weeks. It's gotten so bad that I'm wondering if I'm just plain old stuck here. Please no. At least the hair loss has slowed in the past week.

Sigh.

Carol

Ummmmm ... I meant daughter, not dinner.< /p>

Ummmmm ... I meant daughter' date=' not dinner.[/quote']

Freudian slip? Lol