Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Leave The Husband At Home?

I'm having the surgery 2 hours away at a hospital, will stay 2 nights, and am seriously considering asking husband to stay home with the kids and take care of them, and let the nurses take care of me. Any thoughts?

I forgot to say that he would drop me off and pick me up. He will stay if I want him to, but I really am thinking I'd rather him be with the kids. I'll have lots of help by the nurses. (we have small kids)

Girl you better do that!!!! I love my hubby to death but I am not joking when I say he annoyed the heck out of me at the hospital. His back hurt, he was hungry, he couldn't sleep. I was more worried about him than I was myself! I say let him stay with the kids and let you and the nurses concentrate on you. Good luck!

Id leave him at home.

If he stays with the kids, woudld there be a friend that could come and stay the first evening?

My husband really really wanted to stay with me, and I really really didn't want him there (he tends to just fret and worry, which isn't actually helping me any). Honestly, I would have been fine without him. In fact, I would have slept better because his snoring woke me up a few times. :) The nurses prefer to be the ones helping you so they can make sure IV lines aren't accidentally getting tangled and foleys aren't accidentally getting caught. So as long as you're comfortable with it, I say go for it.

I just got home from the hospital and honestly, I was very tired the first day. My husband was there but it is not a two hour drive. My husband just kept me company and I was happy to have him there but it was not necessary. No kids at home. It would depend on what he wants or feels he wants to do. Does he need to be there, probably not. The time goes by so quickly and you will probably need him to be home when you are discharged.

I have a three year old, and my hubby came with me cause my mother watched our little boy, but honestly, I would have been just FINE without him. He didn't stay overnight with me, and my girlfriend was there with him, but I was SO relieved when they finally left. I wanted to be alone with just my nurses, to be able to doze off in my morphine-induced state. Was in no condition to 'talk' or converse, and I was so taken care of. I think it's better if he stays home with your kids, so your children feel confident and secure with Daddy while Mmmy is in the hospital, and he can come and see you the next day! I will say, I was glad he was there through the pre-op process, as that is nerve-wracking because you're nervous, etc, and he may want to stay just till you're out to make sure you're fine, but then you will just sleep and sleep that first day, anyway.

I am going to Mexico alone. I really just don't want the responsibility of anyone else being with me. I don't want to have to think about whether they have eaten, are tired, etc. I think you will be fine without him.

I didn't want my hubby to stay with me, but ended up being glad he did. The night nurse was incompetent. She spilled pain medication on me when she tried to change it out in the machine, almost pulled my tube out, and then fell on me when she tripped over the bed. I told my DH "you need to stay with me, they might kill me". Thankfully, the day nurse was extremely professional!!

I wanted to be alone with just my nurses, to be able to doze off in my morphine-induced state. Was in no condition to 'talk' or converse, and I was so taken care of.

EXACTLY what she said. I sent my hubby home. I wanted to rest and doze- didn't want to watch tv or chat. Leave him at home if you are comfortable with that.

I wouldnt have done as well without my husband there. He helped me to the bathroom at night, walked me in the halls, and fetched the nurse when they werent responding fast enough to the call light. He was there to get me a cold wash cloth when I felt sick and to reassure me when I needed it. I wouldnt have made it without my husband.

I loved having my hubby with me, we don't have kiddos though, and we are kind of glued at the hip :) lol Personally I wouldn't have made it without him being there, but if you would be more relaxed knowing that he was there to take care of the kids then I would ask him to stay with the kids.

My DH took me, waited till the surgery was done and then went to work. I perferred it that way cause I used the Morphine pump to help me sleep. I slept pretty much the whole time, or else I would have escaped due to boredom. LOL I was fine, no problems whats so ever. :)

My 13 year old daughter stayed the nights with me. She was good company. My husband was with me during the surgery but once I came to my room, he went home and took care of the kids and brought my daughter back to sleep there with me. He came back the next evening and checked on us, brought my daughter more food, etc and left again after visiting hours. He then came and got us when I was discharged. It worked out great! He would have been on my nerves I think after a while. lol. He handled everything while I recovered, a perfect partnership!