Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi sleevers -

I'm 4.5 months out and I think I'm starting to experience hair loss. Not a ton, but when I'm washing my hair there's enough hair that comes out in my hands it's enough to roll into a little hair ball. I'm also noticing some in the comb when I comb it out. My quesionts are: 1) is this the right time to see this? I thought I was past the time frame for hair loss... and 2) is this the amount other people loose or more/less than others' experience?

Thanks for any thoughts!

This is right in line with the period for Hair loss that I have been reading about on this forum. I hear anywhere between 3 and 9 months. Then it starts to grow back.

I'm right at 4 months and my hair is coming out by the handful. I think it may be slowing down. I'm hoping it will start the regrowth process now. :wacko: I went through this before when I started menopause a few years ago (really young for menopause:P ) and it DID grow back. Here we go again!

There is no set timeframe other than "in the first year," really. With my band it was about 2 mos out. I'm coming up on 3 mos sleeved and no loss yet, so I'll probably fall into that 4 mos category. Most of the time it starts between months 2 - 4.

It's almost impossible to gauge an average amount of loss. For one, the length of your hair can really skew the visual estimate of how much hair you're losing. When my hairloss from my band started, my hair was about waist length, and I have thick hair (a lot of it, AND a thick hair shaft). It looked like you could knit a sweater with what I lost every morning. But in reality, it wasn't that much. It just looked like a lot. It looked like I was frapping curly red brillo pads all over the shower.

Now my hair is about chin length, with shorter layers. I could lose more hair, and it would look like less. And the number of hairs I lose is not going to be the same as the number of hairs that anyone else loses.

HTH

This is what I've got going on. It might not look like much, but when i was younger, you could not see my scalp at ALL, my hair was so thick. It shouldn't get much worse....

post-19191-13813658925245_thumb.jpg

I thought I was not going to have much, because I didnt loose hardly any for 3 months then in April !BAM!

My regular stylst just seemed lost...I ended up going to a place called sports clips...I figured I needed a short do, and I had thinning hair - so I went to a guy's hair shop.

Apparently I am not the only fem that does this. She looked at my face and my neck and said "pixie cut". I have had a dozen compliments in less than 24 hours.

I also realized I have a crazy long neck! lol

Oh yes, I am just at four months out and have the same issue. I notice it in the shower drain and when I am combing out my hair, not huge amounts but way more than I used to have come out.

Love the short cut on you Pookey!

Yup, started losing at 4/5 months out and it stopped at around 9 months. Now at 11 months (Today!, Yea!) I can say I see where it is growing back. Definately not as thin as it was, but not as thick ... yet. But I do notice it is thicker than 4 months ago, for sure.

I had my hair cut into what's called a graduated bob on the advice of a hairdresser friend. It looks good, can be parted where needed to cover thinning spots and gives me enough length to still put my hair up at the gym. A friend commented last night that my hair seems to be growing faster now, so I think the losing stage is over for me. I certainly hope so! I did have a lot of thinning, but the cut helps to disguise it. :)

I lost from 3 months to 9 months...tons and tons....but I was always a hair shedder anyway. You know my brush always had hair in it and there is always hair on the counter or floor after I brush it. I did get worried but then I just realized that I would rather wear a wig and live a long healthy life than be dead at 45 of a heart attack. I started taking a GNC chew called B-beautiful and I stopped using Panteen shampoos (according to my stylist is a problem for people with hair loss). The chew doesnt stop Hair loss but I think it helped with regrowth and made my hair healthy and my nails grow. I have continued to take it even though my hair loss has stopped completely and my hair is back to where it was pre surgery.

I'm still pre op but this is worrying me bleh. I already do loose a bit of hair since I bleach the crap out of it and have been doing so for years on and off. It's currently very blonde and I'm thinking after surgery I might need to dye it a darker color because the Hair loss from surgery PLUS the regular hair loss I experience as a blonde would probably leave me bald :( Ahh!

I was shedding hair at around 3 months post op and finally stopped shedding at 7 months post op. I was taking Biotin and silica which helps with hair and nail regrowth. Man I've had Hair growth in places I didn't want it too grow plus have to do some extra grooming now. LOL I love that my hair is finally growing. ;)

I was shedding hair at around 3 months post op and finally stopped shedding at 7 months post op. I was taking Biotin and silica which helps with hair and nail regrowth. Man I've had Hair growth in places I didn't want it too grow plus have to do some extra grooming now. LOL I love that my hair is finally growing. ;)

DORRIE!!!!! WE FINALLY GOT A PICTURE OF YOU!!!! :lol: