Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went for a swallow Monday and he said the sleeve was stretched a little on top but other than that it looked good. I had a revision from a bad band on 5/11. I have lost over 30 pounds and feel good but I'm worried about the stretch. Is it possible that this is a bit larger from the sleeve or have I really already stretched it? Dr said it can/will shrink back down but I'm still really upset...

Wow! When was your surgery? I really would like to know an answer for this too!

5/11

What does that mean and how does that affect your weightloss?

This is scaring me now too. I am able to eat more than in the beginning but I limit myself and of course make better choices than before the surg.

So I went for a swallow Monday and he said the sleeve was stretched a little on top but other than that it looked good. I had a revision from a bad band on 5/11. I have lost over 30 pounds and feel good but I'm worried about the stretch. Is it possible that this is a bit larger from the sleeve or have I really already stretched it? Dr said it can/will shrink back down but I'm still really upset...

mine stretched alot too. im getting resleeved next month :-(

How does it get stretched????

i dunno, but my stomache has no restriction whatsoever

I was only sleeved 4 weeks ago so I'm not sure. I am still on soft liquids and I do feel a little restriction but I was a revision so it could just be mis shappen from that...

I have restriction but it still scares me that I will mess it up. I have lost 35 and my sleeve date was 4/10. I am a slow loser and it worries me. I wish u luck and keep us posted on ur progress.

When were u sleeved? Did u ever have restriction?

mid 2010, only the first few months, i think it was swelling not restriction

A well made sleeve should not experience significant stretch, but there are a lot of variables. One problem is that the stomach and the sleeve is curved, like a banana, but the tools that the surgeons use - the bougies and lap staplers, etc. are straight, so it takes some experience and practice for them to figure out how to make these curved stomachs with the straight tools, and avoid folds or kinks in the middle. Sometimes too much of the stretchy fundus is left up near the top (which sounds like the OP's situation,) and sometimes a bulge is left at the bottom near the pyloris. As the OP noted, this may also be a result of damage done, or surgical restrictions imposed by the band.

Typically, we will have a fair amount of initial restriction caused by inflammation, which will diminish as the inflammation resolves itself, but then we will see increased restriction again as we move to firmer Proteins like meats, which will stay with us for the long term. Over time during out loss period it may seem that we are losing restriction, but that is usually a function of increased variety of foods consumed, with more slippery foods being consumed along with our Protein.

In time (as in years, or at least many months,) our bodies do tend to adapt to the changes that have been made - our cells are continually replacing themselves and all of our organs renew themselves over time, so it's not out of the question that our stomachs will grow some over time to adapt to the new demands being placed upon it. It will never grow back to what it was, but some growth can be expected. Some people's bodies are more aggressive than others in such adaptations (which is why many of us have such a hard time losing weight once we got where we were.) In the DS world, it is not unheard of (but not common, either,) for the active portion of the intestine (the common channel) to almost double in length over time, in the body's effort ot adapt That's a function of growth and adaptation as opposed to physical stretching which is the impression most have of what happens to the sleeve over time.

Should I worry about this slight stretch? What if anything can be done? My dr is so get in get out I feel like I can't ask questions like I should...

It won't help to worry about, see how it goes and see if it shrinks. If it doesn't then talk to ut surgeon. Don't let him out of ur room until ur satisfied with his answer. Don't be afraid to Speak up it's important! U can do this. :)