Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4.5 Months Out And Not Doing Well

I know alot of people write about slow weight loss and stalls and people reassure them to keep up the hard work, but I really think I'm doing something wrong and I need some veteran advice to help me. here are my stats

preop weight 230lbs height 5'3"

Surgery day weight 220lbs

Surgery date: 1/23/12

Current weight 180lbs

I've been 180lbs for the last 7 weeks. My problem is I never lost my hunger, I am hungry all the time and want to eat all the time. I don't think it's acid because treatment didn't help. I graze through out the day and have no restriction when it comes to carbs. I crave sweets just like before my surgery and the cravings are overwhelming. I feel like I went through this surgery and I am sabotaging myself because of cravings and hunger. I get my Protein in with supplements, I calculate my calories at 1400+, that's alot for 4 months out?

I appreciate some advice from the successful losers out there. any of you struggle with hunger/cravings?

I'm no expert, but I suspect your calories are too high for your height. How is your diet? Are you eating mainly Protein?

First, congratulations on 50 pounds, that in itself is a huge deal. I was talking to a gal who was sleeved a year ago and she mentioned that it's all about carbs. Try cutting out carbs for a week and go back to low carb, high Protein drinks. I bet you'll break that stall and be back on track. I really believe carbs, especially simple carbs are the death of me and just make me hungrier the more I eat.

Either way, good luck and congrats on what is already a big accomplishment.

You have to restrict your carbs yourself. 1400 is wayyyy to many calories to be taking in. The rule is to eat your Protein first. If you follow this rule, you cant hold the carbs after and your calorie intake will be less than 1000 for sure and you will lose weight. The sleeve helps us and is a good tool. Its not magic and it doesn't keep us out of the carbs. We have to follow the rules of the sleeve to be successful. Just think of it this way, once we get to maintenance we can have a bit more carbs and maintain. You have maintained 180 for almost 2 months so you know you can maintain and have some carbs then. Right now you are in the losing phase and its time to put on your big girl panties and start following the rules and cut out those carbs and slider foods!

Benjamin called it...no grazing, I know it is hard but 3 meals a day with 2 Snacks, that is all you should have. I still have hardly any carbs and I will be 16 weeks out on the 9th. Good luck, you can do this!!!

I know you said you don't think this is acid. If I was you, I would try taking something like prilosec, nexium, or other PPI's with your Dr's consent. I know that I wasn't told by my surgeon to take this and I was always hungry. When I finally started taking my omeprazole, my hunger went away. I also was getting my hunger triggers and my thrist triggers mixed up. Now I make sure I get in my Water before eating. This is just a suggestion, you have only something to gain to try this. It pretty much sucks to be hungry all the time. I know, I was there. Best Wishes! :)

OMG I feel your pain I too have been stuck. I was sleeved on Jan.20 and except that I am 5'5" tall I am exactly where you are and have been at 180ish for 6 weeks whats up? I did weight 180 many years ago for quite a while It seems like my pants are looser but whats up with the scale! I started myfitnesspal and was consuming around same amt. of calories but I have cut out some carbs and am still waiting for something to change. Don't feel alone we just have to do what we must and be patient!

Great advice from everyone so far! More Protein, watch the carbs. Try a different acid medicine and see if that helps with the hunger. Exercise more and I bet you get past this stall. WLS is a tool, not guaranteed to work alone..Sounds like a food addiction that's playing with your mind. Good luck, it will get better!

I know alot of people write about slow weight loss and stalls and people reassure them to keep up the hard work, but I really think I'm doing something wrong and I need some veteran advice to help me. here are my stats

preop weight 230lbs height 5'3"

Surgery day weight 220lbs

Surgery date: 1/23/12

Current weight 180lbs

I've been 180lbs for the last 7 weeks. My problem is I never lost my hunger, I am hungry all the time and want to eat all the time. I don't think it's acid because treatment didn't help. I graze through out the day and have no restriction when it comes to carbs. I crave sweets just like before my surgery and the cravings are overwhelming. I feel like I went through this surgery and I am sabotaging myself because of cravings and hunger. I get my Protein in with supplements, I calculate my calories at 1400+, that's alot for 4 months out?

I appreciate some advice from the successful losers out there. any of you struggle with hunger/cravings?

Who said "no restrictions on carbs"? You mean u eat bread and spaghetti and foods with sugar? I'm 6 mos out and haven't touched a complex or simple carb yet. That seems to be the most consistent advice...

thank you everyone! so many great and concrete ideas. I will cut it down to 3 meals and 2 Snacks (I get really irritable if I don't have something between lunch and dinner). I do notice more cravings when I eat carbs, so gotta trim those down. I haven't consistently exercise---never any convenient time, but I need to make it happen.

People on antacids---how long before you noticed they helped with hunger?

The PPI's started working within a week for me. I take omeprazole 2 times a day. ;)

I'm no expert, but I suspect your calories are too high for your height. How is your diet? Are you eating mainly Protein?

I have been talking to my husband and realized I maybe eating too much cheese, I was told it's a reliable easy source of protien, which is why I have been eating it, but the calories are super high. I eat alot of fruit also for snacks---I'm wondering if this is causing my cravings. I do eat bread with meals, that's been something very difficult to stop, but I must. I'll eat some chocolate once a week at work, chocolate is a major weakness for me and always has been. I don't know what to do about this addiction, even sabotage my sleeve (I'll have a piece, then wait an hour and have another etc....)----I know, I know, I should know better. I started slacking the last 8 weeks and I hate myself for it.... then that causes more emotional eating. food is such a roller coaster of emotions for me.

Your stats are pretty similar to mine. I'm weighing 184 right now. I only get in about 600 calories a day. Still struggle to get in enough Protein. When I'm at a stall, I start the day w EAS drinks. It pretty much shakes things up and I'll see a weight loss the next day or two. I rarely eat any carbs.....maybe 3 wheat crackers w cheese or the bottom of a hamburger bun w my hamburger, which I can't eat all of. You've got some good advice given here. Good luck ahead!

I have been talking to my husband and realized I maybe eating too much cheese, I was told it's a reliable easy source of protien, which is why I have been eating it, but the calories are super high. I eat alot of fruit also for snacks---I'm wondering if this is causing my cravings. I do eat bread with meals, that's been something very difficult to stop, but I must. I'll eat some chocolate once a week at work, chocolate is a major weakness for me and always has been. I don't know what to do about this addiction, even sabotage my sleeve (I'll have a piece, then wait an hour and have another etc....)----I know, I know, I should know better. I started slacking the last 8 weeks and I hate myself for it.... then that causes more emotional eating. food is such a roller coaster of emotions for me.

The choclateb(70% cocoa) and lower fat cheese are o.k. kill the carbs. And write off all simple carbs. They're the enemy.

I eat carbs, but it is crazy how hungry they make you. After a year I can eat way more, and I could see myself slipping, but dense protien never fails. You have got to eat meat for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. chicken & tuna. I can get away with cheese for Breakfast because I don't have alot of hunger pangs...If you do then you have to EAT meat. I can easily eat a slice of pizza...which could be about 300 to 400 calories. The amount of chicken I could eat to get to 300 to 400 calories would be WAY more than my sleeve could handle. After I eat the pizza...I am hungry again or want to snack. 1400 calories is way too much!

I never eat fruit...it is just sugar and it goes down so easy. Meat, meat, meat and more meat.

Then I eat these GREAT protien chips for my chip cravings. I eat ice cream sometimes. I keep a rotisserre chicken in my fridge at home at all times.