Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When You Have No Choice But Fast Food...

Hello. I have a dilemma. Right now, my husband and I are both full time in school and he also works week nights. With our hectic schedules and living on one minimim wage paycheck from week to week, I've found that sometimes I just don't have an option but to go with fast food, unless I want my third cup of sugar free pudding for dinner. He will graduate in the fall, and go straight into a job training program which should help ease up the financial situation.

My question to all you sleevers is what has been the most effecient, but healthy options when you've had to resort to fast food post op?

Wendy's chili, hands down!

If you are choosing fast food because of a financial situation you are wasting money. My husband and I were homeless at one point and during recovery from this, needless to say, we were pretty broke. Since I couldn't yet find a job and had some time, I really looked at the math and realized that fast food is ALWAYS more expensive than buying food at the grocery store (even if you are talking about the dollar meals.) As for hectic, I get it, I am a grad student, my husband is military and a student and we are raising our son. I found that the 9 dollar package of chicken breasts can go a really long way. If you just throw them in the oven and bake them, you can then make all KINDS of things that will be your Protein for an entire week for both of you. I am just worried that if you stay on a fast food diet you will be low on your Proteins. If you haven't had surgery yet, you may want to wait if possible until you can afford the appropriate supplements. Good luck!

In the beginning, it was Wendy's chili for me. Sometimes I'll get a "single" hamburger, take the top off and eat that. It tastes so yummy, but I can only eat half of it. Do you have an El Pollo in your town? I'll get Beans and a chicken leg...or 2 legs.

Thank you all. I am two weeks post op, and comparatively speaking, my doctor has been really lenient on me. I was on liquids for three days, then on puréed until now. I go back today and he's supposed to tell me to start on soft chewable items. My dietitian has only seen me once in the hospital and gave me a Gastric Bypass post surgery packet, and was like ,"Here you go, we use the same eating plan for the first few weeks..."

Needless to say, I feel like I'm having to learn everything I should here on the boards. I guess i have to get out of the mindset that if I'm buying food to last all week, I'll be wasting, obviously not able to eat it all. Inevitably, this will happen and I'd much rather be eating healthier even if I can't eat all of it.

Needless to say, I feel like I'm having to learn everything I should here on the boards. I guess i have to get out of the mindset that if I'm buying food to last all week, I'll be wasting, obviously not able to eat it all. Inevitably, this will happen and I'd much rather be eating healthier even if I can't eat all of it.

It is really easy to eye call what you can and can't eat I can do it now being just 3 months out. I would if I was you make a batch of chicken...etc and make your self some freezer meals cook the chicken and then assemble your meal freeze em and take out as needed to be re heated.

During my post op review they mentioned a Bob Greene book about foods when you eat out. I need to look for it but here are some suggestions I was given so far:

Chick-fil-a has a Soup chicken Soup. Friend said she did eat noodles in it as they were soft.

Like other's said the Chili @ Wendy's.

If you have a Chinese restaurant you can grap "egg drop soup"

I am still in "soup phase" so that is reason for these suggestions.

Panera's also has Soups.

I've been making homemade soup and blending them to make them totally drinkable and packing them.

If I find the Bob Greene book, I'll post name of it.

here is the link to book

http://www.amazon.co...9010103&sr=8-36

( just in case link doesn't work the name of the book is "The get with the program! Guide to Fast food and Family Restaurants" by Bob Greene

Got good reviews on Amazon as well.

If you are choosing fast food because of a financial situation you are wasting money. My husband and I were homeless at one point and during recovery from this' date=' needless to say, we were pretty broke. Since I couldn't yet find a job and had some time, I really looked at the math and realized that fast food is ALWAYS more expensive than buying food at the grocery store (even if you are talking about the dollar meals.) [/quote']

So true! Especially if you have a freezer and can get meat and frozen fruits/vegetables in bulk.

If you have fast food Mexican restaurants nearby refried Beans with cheese is a good option for Protein and Fiber. A single serving is about a buck in Los Angeles. Great for your pureed food stage and later add a scoop of ground beef for extra protein.

chick fil a has a 4piece grilled chicken kids meal, you can get it with fruit instead of fries and diet lemonade is made with splenda, since the cup is styrophone it will last the 30 min till you can drink it.

So true! Especially if you have a freezer and can get meat and frozen fruits/vegetables in bulk.

I look for the value packages of meat and cook in bulk. Since we should be doing mostly Protein and then a little vegetables, it would be healthier and more economical to stay off the fast food. Even the healthy stuff has added salt and sugar.

I buy things like tri-tip roasts, chicken breasts/thighs/legs/wings, whole chickens, whole pork loins, etc -- whatever is on sale at the time. Even seafood goes on sale. Talapia and shrimp can sometimes be pretty cheap.

We are not able to eat much, so a whole chicken can last a week. You can also make broth from the chicken to use in other recipes. I marinate wings in tapitio and bake them. Perfect buffalo wings! I can only eat two whole wings, maybe 2 1/2.

You can freeze for later what you don't use.

meats can be eaten with stir fry, added to a morning egg, made into salads ... Endless.

If it's gotta be fast food, I found great things at Panda Express. Instead of the chow mein or rice, get the steamed veggies and one of the "wok friendly" Entrees. Wendy's chili is okay, but a little bland. El Pollo Loco sounds friendly. No rice or tortillas. Subway really bites, their meat is substandard and they don't give you a lot. I honestly cannot think of any other fast food places that I'd trust. For what you'd pay for one serving of Beans at Taco Bell, you can buy a couple cans of refried Beans (also good with a morning egg).

Burger King chicken strips...Chili with cheese from anywhere...Applebee's Tomato basil Soup and potato soup...I just look at the menus online before I go and try to go low carb high Protein. I understand the strains of not being home enough to cook. My husband and I both have full time jobs and run a full time business at night plus I have a part time job. We eat out alot!

If you have a bojangles they have roasted chicken bites that are delish! Usually lasts me 2 sometimes 3 meals and it's only 3 dollars and some change.