Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"slow Losers" And Long Term Results?

OK, so I know that MANY,MANY people post and repost about stalls and not losing and frustration. Often, people's responses seem to be not to worry it will happen. What I would love to know is are there any folks who have lost a significant amount of weight and are at least say 6 mos. out who were "slow losers" and thought that the sleeve wasn't going to work for them?

I never thought the sleeve would not work, I am just over five months out, and have lost, including pre-sleeve loss 89 lbs. I weigh in again today - more loss? Maybe.

I have metabolic issues that make stalls more prominent, plus it is very important to me to lose no muscle mass.

I was in my low 240's when I was sleeved, and I am now at 190. I no longer am diabetic, and I have went from 40 BMI to 27. My weight loss is already successful. The rest will be great, i will take what I can, but it has already worked. I have gave myself years back. My husband has me back.

I was always a fighter, this lets us fight - I don't mind the effort, or being one of the people to lose it slowly. I feel every loss, see every inch and know I fought for that.

I'm not sure what's considered a slow loser but I certainly feel like mine is slow. I currently lose about a pound a week. I'm 11 months out and I've lost 93 pounds. I'm 5'6" and my starting weight was 297 and my goal is 150. I don't do all the right things all the time. In fact, yesterday I ate like CRAP. But I am so glad I got the sleeve because even after a crappy day, I still have hope. I'm still consistently losing and my doctors are stoked about my progress. I wish it would go faster but I know a lot of that has to do with my battle with the food addiction issues that are still there.

I'm not sure what's considered a slow loser but I certainly feel like mine is slow. I currently lose about a pound a week. I'm 11 months out and I've lost 93 pounds. I'm 5'6" and my starting weight was 297 and my goal is 150. I don't do all the right things all the time. In fact, yesterday I ate like CRAP. But I am so glad I got the sleeve because even after a crappy day, I still have hope. I'm still consistently losing and my doctors are stoked about my progress. I wish it would go faster but I know a lot of that has to do with my battle with the food addiction issues that are still there.

Sounds like you are doing great!!! 2lbs a week is an ideal rate!!! Awesome!!

Carly,

The weight loss will slow down. Make sure you are moving your body and you are watching what is going in your body. The weight will come off ...it just never moves fast enough for any of us. I am 15 months post op and I am still fighting the battle. I refuse to loose... I did not come this far to give up now.

Thanks, y'all. My weight loss is a bit slow, but I see many people stressing about being slow losers, so I thought if there were some more seasoned voices who had felt the same way, it would give us all hope. ;)

Six months out I was sure it wasn't going to work. I had the hardest time right about then with a nine week stall and I could only barely hang under 200 pounds. I was terribly frustrated and felt like everyone was losing faster than I was (not true at all) and I was considering revising my goal to a higher number. I even toyed with the idea of revising to DS, but quickly decided it was too drastic.

It happens to a lot of us. The reality is that slow loss is still loss. Reaching goal in seventeen months (like me!) is no less satisfying than reaching it sooner. It's all about getting there and being happy with the changes you make that improve your health, body and lifestyle.

Hang in there and try not to get too discouraged. I found that I was sabotaging my own loss by cutting my diet back too severely. I not only lost a little more consistently eating a more balanced diet, but I also felt better. That was huge - shedding that mental feeling of deprivation also helped me shed the expectation that I'd see a drop every single day on the scale.

I lost in fits and starts the whole time - often I'd lose for only four days a month and actually gain about 3 pounds every time I had my monthly visitor.

Remember: slow loss is still loss. There isn't a prize waiting for you if you hit goal sooner. It's natural to feel discouraged when you struggle to lose and it feels like other people shed weight without real effort. But if you stick with it, you can see goal.

~Cheri

Six months out I was sure it wasn't going to work. I had the hardest time right about then with a nine week stall and I could only barely hang under 200 pounds. I was terribly frustrated and felt like everyone was losing faster than I was (not true at all) and I was considering revising my goal to a higher number. I even toyed with the idea of revising to DS' date=' but quickly decided it was too drastic.

It happens to a lot of us. The reality is that slow loss is still loss. Reaching goal in seventeen months (like me!) is no less satisfying than reaching it sooner. It's all about getting there and being happy with the changes you make that improve your health, body and lifestyle.

Hang in there and try not to get too discouraged. I found that I was sabotaging my own loss by cutting my diet back too severely. I not only lost a little more consistently eating a more balanced diet, but I also felt better. That was huge - shedding that mental feeling of deprivation also helped me shed the expectation that I'd see a drop every single day on the scale.

I lost in fits and starts the whole time - often I'd lose for only four days a month and actually gain about 3 pounds every time I had my monthly visitor.

Remember: slow loss is still loss. There isn't a prize waiting for you if you hit goal sooner. It's natural to feel discouraged when you struggle to lose and it feels like other people shed weight without real effort. But if you stick with it, you can see goal.

~Cheri[/quote']

Thank you Cheri. I have been operating under a similar thought process. I am 9 weeks out and have lost 35 pounds. The crazy thing is, the one day that I had a little too much in the carb category, I actually lost more weight the next day. I am thinking like you that I am not going to try to be so crazy about restrictions, rather focus on healthful choices and moderation, which is a given. ;) but it does help to hear from others that "slow losers" still make it to the finish line.

I would consider myself to be a "slow loser". I am 13.5 weeks out, and am down 51lbs. I had the typical three week stall, but have now been sitting, (actually bouncing between 252-256 - started at 304), for the last two weeks. I expected the stall with TOM, but hopped it would go away after, and it has yet to do so. While it is frustrating, I know it will break eventually. My body is still adjusting from this major surgery, and things will be whacky for a bit. I saw my surgeon and NUT a month ago, and they both say I'm doing great and already consider me a success story...that's nice to hear from a doctor!

I to am of the belief that we didn't get this done to be on a diet forever. I had this done so that I could be a normal, healthy person. If I'm craving something, I'm going to have it. Obviously, with the restriction our lovely tool provides us, it's awfully hard to over-indulge, (at least, I find it to be so). I try to maintain a healthy balance. I don't restrict my carbs, or fat, etc. I make sure that I'm getting all of my Protein in each day, and once that's done, I'll allow myself a treat.

I'm ok with my steady, slow loss. :)

hmmmmm ithink I'm a slow loser... my surgery date was

October 17 2011 my weight was 242

my current weight is 196.5 so I'm happy but in 2009 my heaviest was 296.5 so pretty much I've lost a hundred pounds my weight loss is slow but that's fine with me as long as the scale goes down! goodluck all<3

I'm glad I stumbled on this post... I had surgery Jan 6th 2012. My starting weight was 335. I am now at 270. I have hit stalls that lasted a week or so, BUT now I am going on 9 Weeks of not losing. I started tracking everything on myfitnesspal this week. I really feel like a failure and that I am letting myself and others down by not losing... Physically I feel great. emotionally I am a wreck!

Cheri! this quote from you sounds like me RIGHT NOW ..... "Six months out I was sure it wasn't going to work. I had the hardest time right about then with a nine week stall and I could only barely hang under 200 pounds. I was terribly frustrated and felt like everyone was losing faster than I was (not true at all) and I was considering revising my goal to a higher number."

I'll be 5 months on July 6th and have been stalled for about a month now. I did start to exercise, that's when the stall happened :( soooo ya I needed to hear this right now. I have some shorts I wore the 1st time on Memorial wk end and I think they are looser now...but still would be NICE for the scale to move!!! I have about 30 more to lose...25 for sure! ahhhgrrrggg it's aggravating for sure but I have hope and faith that IT WILL COME OFF not matter how long it takes :) LOL Pateince is a virtue I don't really have LOL

I'm 11 Weeks out. I've lost 28 pounds. SW of 201 and CW of 173.

I don't have as much restriction as I thought I would. I still feel like I can eat a lot. I can easily have a half a chicken breast some fruit and some veggies all at one sitting.

It seems as though i'm going to be a slow loser. My neighbor had surgery 3 weeks ago and has lost just as much as me. So frustrating.

This was a great thread to read today, I am a slow loser too, but very determined to see this through. I am getting used to a mostly low carb diet and its ok, lots of fresh salad, grilled fish, BBQ chicken, grilled veggies, stir frys. Moved away from frozen meals and eating fresh foods I prepare. I have gone out to eat recently and did fine, brought my little doggie bag for another meal. Overall I am pleased as punch that I am more than halfway to goal now!

You want to hear about SLOW! Well how about almost 1 year out and your HW was 257, your LW 217, and now your weight 239! Now that's slow. I've been back to doc 3 times and we have tried upping Protein, increasing exercise. Not until last week I found out from talking to nutrientist and my Psyc that I was unconsciously blocking myself from loosing due that I was afraid of the saggy skin. Sound ridiculous? Yes but my best friend had gastric bypass and she lost 9 to 10 pounds a week too fast. When she reached her goal she showed me all the skin. She went from 400 to 200. But it's something I never wanted my husband to see. But no one said it would happen to me, my mind just kept the imagine and ad I start loosing I got scared and unconsciously stop doing what I suppose to do. Now that I have identified it I am back on track! Yeah, this week I'm ready and if the skin saggy, God will make a way to fix it. I am not longer afraid.

But to u all who think u r slow. Think about me 1 Year out with only now a 30 pound weight lost and send some love and encouragement my way for I need it!

One foot in front of the other, one step at a time, if you fall down get up! QueenT