Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2012 Sleevers Post Op Check In

This is my 7th day out. I developed a rash on my tummy (I think it may be a heat rash from from the binder). I was constipated and now I have the runs. I am off the pain med only have slight discomfort around the incisions. I tire very easily and have difficulty getting 68 ounces in. However, I am able to drink 8 ounces of Unjury chicken Soup within 20 minutes. That really surprises me since my stomach doesnt even hold that much. Thank you June sleevers for keeping us updated n your progress!

If you need something for pain you can use Tylenol (either liquid tylenol (which is hard to find) but I use regular tylenols and I split them to make them easier to swallow). Use the binder when you have to and if you get a chance to sit with your belly out in the air (if nobody is around try it). I quit using my binder because it was making my incisions itch. Just keep working on your Water (try warm or cold) some people tolerate each a little different, try some decaff tea or crystal light and if you have a med cup use it or a shot glass because it makes sips much easier.

liquids flow through so you can a lot more in so don't be surprised about the 8 ounces of chicken Soup.< /p>

I did a little test to see how much I can handle so I took the one ounce med cup and poured Water into it and basically i sipped each cup (usually 2 or 3 sips) and I was able to get 3 cups in comfortably in a row, my 4th cup I could feel full. so I could pretty sip 3 ounces of water in pretty quick succession but the 4 ounce was too much. When I get up in the middle of the night I usually have 3 med cups of water and then get into bed and then wait a little bit and have another cup before I go back to bed. Everyone should perhaps try that when they are comfortable to know when their stopping point is.

It usually takes me about 20 minutes to get 2 tylenols (cut in 1/2) my plaquenil and ppi and optisource in every morning and about 1/2 hour getting all my night time meds in because I need so much water to wash it down.

Morning everyone. Thought I'd check in. Surgery went very well. Dr. told my wife that my liver was disgustingly healthy, with no issues at all there. I slept almost the entire day on Tuesday after the surgery, with the necessary wake ups.

The pain was and is manageable. My biggest problem was nausea. I took three shot of Morphine with each sending waves of nausea over me which necessitated shots of nausea medicine. After that I only had two doses of hydrocodine and haven't had anything else, including here at my house. My biggest issue so far is trying to sip drinks. I tend to gulp and guzzle liquids so that has been challenging for me. I think I may have it down now though.

EDIT -- I wanted to edit this post to say one thing about the pain. The only time I felt pain that I could not manage was when the nurse was pulling out the drain tube. That is the only time I cried during this whole ordeal. I actually asked her to stop pulling so I could catch my breath. I felt I was to the point of almost hyperventilating. I could have lived without the drain.

I also wanted to relate the other doctor who came in to check on my. I don't think he understood that I was a bariactric patient. I am glad that when he did check on me I was asleep. My wife told me he came in and started poking and prodding my stomach, apparently looking for obstructions. He had no idea I had the drain in until he saw it, and then asked my wife if I had been in for a hernia repair. She explained what had happened to me and he left. Yeah, I'm glad I was asleep on that one.

END EDIT--

I've gained almost 10 pounds after the surgery, which is normal, and I know it will go away, but it's still slightly depressing.

I'm walking well, and getting up and down out of the recliner in the bedroom really well. I think I have surprised my wife at how I'm doing so far.

Now if I can just start getting more liquids in!

Eric

I was sleeved June 18th. 4 days out I think I'm doing really well. Pain is well controlled with the meds, no vomiting, and I'm happy with my 2oz of Protein Shake every 3-4 hours. The drain comes out on Monday, that will be nice!

Robin33, I just sent you a friend request on FB. Will you add me to the group please?

Oh Becky, the drain coming out is a godsend. You will notice the ability to breath so much more. I am allergic to pain medications and my last few days of the drain became torture because I have lupus and it went all crazy trying to attack the drain. You will see a huge improvement once that's gone.

Morning everyone. Thought I'd check in. Surgery went very well. Dr. told my wife that my liver was disgustingly healthy, with no issues at all there. I slept almost the entire day on Tuesday after the surgery, with the necessary wake ups.

The pain was and is manageable. My biggest problem was nausea. I took three shot of Morphine with each sending waves of nausea over me which necessitated shots of nausea medicine. After that I only had two doses of hydrocodine and haven't had anything else, including here at my house. My biggest issue so far is trying to sip drinks. I tend to gulp and guzzle liquids so that has been challenging for me. I think I may have it down now though.

EDIT -- I wanted to edit this post to say one thing about the pain. The only time I felt pain that I could not manage was when the nurse was pulling out the drain tube. That is the only time I cried during this whole ordeal. I actually asked her to stop pulling so I could catch my breath. I felt I was to the point of almost hyperventilating. I could have lived without the drain.

I also wanted to relate the other doctor who came in to check on my. I don't think he understood that I was a bariactric patient. I am glad that when he did check on me I was asleep. My wife told me he came in and started poking and prodding my stomach, apparently looking for obstructions. He had no idea I had the drain in until he saw it, and then asked my wife if I had been in for a hernia repair. She explained what had happened to me and he left. Yeah, I'm glad I was asleep on that one.

END EDIT--

I've gained almost 10 pounds after the surgery, which is normal, and I know it will go away, but it's still slightly depressing.

I'm walking well, and getting up and down out of the recliner in the bedroom really well. I think I have surprised my wife at how I'm doing so far.

Now if I can just start getting more liquids in!

Eric

Glad to hear that you are doing well.. I said a prayer for you on your surgery date.

On a different note, I have read A LOT of people on here talking about a "drain." When I was at my pre-op appointment last week I asked my doctor if I would have a drain after surgery at any point and he said NO. Weird... So what is this "drain"??

Someone suggested that we start a thread so we could keep up with the June 2012 post op people. After surgery, come back and check in here. We all want to hear how you are doing! Good luck to all!

I just sent you a request on FB so that I can join the secret society.. ;) lol

[quote name="McSleevy :)]

Glad to hear that you are doing well.. I said a prayer for you on your surgery date.

On a different note' date=' I have read A LOT of people on here talking about a "drain." When I was at my pre-op appointment last week I asked my doctor if I would have a drain after surgery at any point and he said NO. Weird... So what is this "drain"??[/quote']

It is a tune that comes put of you allowing excess fluids/blood to drain out. Not all doctors use them. In my opinion, be glad you don't have to have one. Mine didn't bother me at all whole it was in me. However, when they removed it it hurt like he*#! It felt like they were pulling out all of my insides with it. I was so glad when all that pulling was over!

Checking in. Sleeved around 4 yesterday. Pain is in check. Walked twice so far. Still not peeing on my own. Hand swelled from IV infiltrated. No hunger! Just want to sleep. I'll post more tonight.

Thanks for checking in skinnytata. I hope every day is a better day and you rest up, walk and pee comes soon. I spent a lot of time sleeping on the toilet after they took out my catheter. I didn't like going back to bed until I went. It was so much easier just to stay there.

It is a tune that comes put of you allowing excess fluids/blood to drain out. Not all doctors use them. In my opinion, be glad you don't have to have one. Mine didn't bother me at all whole it was in me. However, when they removed it it hurt like he*#! It felt like they were pulling out all of my insides with it. I was so glad when all that pulling was over!

I couldn't have said it better on the drain. Mine was the same, while it was inside me I was fine with it, but the moment they started pulling it out...I can take a lot of pain, but the pulling it out had me in tears and shortness of breath. I litterally begged the nurse to stop for a moment so I could breath normally. I have never had that kind of hurt before, period.

Sleeved June 12th. Doing well. Trying to figure out how to put a picture of me up.

Sleeved June 12th. Doing well. Trying to figure out how to put a picture of me up.

Karen,

Glad to hear you're doing well!

To attach a pic to your post click on the more options button located in the lower right hand corner. This brings up a larger reply screen for you. In the lower left hand corner you'll see an Attach Files option with a Choose Files button. Click that. A box will open up that will allow you to choose a picture to upload to your post. Once it's uploaded, you'll see a small image of your picture and to the right of that you'll see the words Add to Post. Click on that and then you will see in your post code for your picture. You won't see the picture until you click on the Add Reply button on the top. Click on that button when you're done.

Hope that helps.

Eric

post-24337-13813659057243_thumb.jpg