Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Think I Got My First Case Of Dumping!

I wish I had dumping. It would make it easier. I can eat anything so I have to be extra careful with any treats n sweets. None of my tastes changed post op and my sweet tooth is still intact!! Oh well!! Moderation!!!!

I have a really bad sweet tooth too. Unfortunately, I can eat them with no trouble. It's when I eat something high in sugar and high in fat, that will make me sick like that. Once I ate at the Cheesecake Factory, and I had to find a couch in the mall to lay down for an hour.

We as sleevers most definitely DO experience dumping. I have done it many times. I asked Dr. Aceves about it and he said it's because our stomachs are so small, that too much sugar or fat (or combination of both) will get into our systems much too quickly.

It's not just diarhhea. It's sweating, feeling nauseous, and rapid heart beat. The diarrhea comes last.

I've been through it off an on since I was a kid but it was always related to stress, stress in school, stress in jobs, stress in relationships.

When I went to the informational seminar that the surgeon put on he specifically mentioned dumping as a possible consequence of overeating, especially sugary liquids, after the sleeve.

I have a really bad sweet tooth too. Unfortunately, I can eat them with no trouble. It's when I eat something high in sugar and high in fat, that will make me sick like that. Once I ate at the Cheesecake Factory, and I had to find a couch in the mall to lay down for an hour.

I really worry about the effects of my sweet tooth after the sleeve.

Do we have dumping with the sleeve?

Sleeves can absolutely have dumping. My surgeon even gave me a sheet on what it is, how it feels and how to avoid it. I've had it twice now, one with Peanut Butter too soon after surgery, and today because I "had to" have a bite of bacon my husband made for Breakfast. It was a small bite, and I chewed the heck out of it, but two seconds after I swallowed it, I knew I was going to have a problem, and I did. All symptoms noted above and many trips to the bathroom. Lesson learned.

I definitely do get "dumping," if you define that as an unpleasant physical reaction after eating particular foods--usually sweet ones, or sweet with fat (the WORST). It's a queasy, nauseous, hot/cold, shaky, really unsettled feeling that is SO very unpleasant, and may be followed by episodes of getting rid of whatever's in your system from either end, if you get my drift. It may not technically be called "dumping," but it's the same physical process--sugar overload, even if it doesn't seem like all that much sugar--and the associated physical response to that. It is NOT PLEASANT, but happily it does not last forever. It can be a very strong deterrent to eating things that your body doesn't want you to have!

Peanut Butter gets me, too. Sweating, shaking, heart pounding, dizziness & nausea. Ate it the firs time when I was 3 weeks out in a shake. Tried it again last week & must admit I'll stick to the PB2.< /p>

I had problems with dumping when I was about 6. Like I mentioned, I think it was some sort of stress causing my digestive system into overdrive. Here's the deal; no one knew what it was . I'd be flushed and sweating for no obvious reason. They thought I had heart trouble but found nothing wrong there. I actually went through the mayo clinic and they never figured it out.

When I went to the seminar and when he described dumping the mystery was finally solved.

I suppose I associate dumping with gastric bypass. That's really different than what sleevers experience. Ours is nothing compared to theirs.

I suppose I associate dumping with gastric bypass. That's really different than what sleevers experience. Ours is nothing compared to theirs.

Bypass patients lack a pyloric valve so if their mini stomach gets too full there's not much to slow the progress.

We' date=' as sleevers, do not experience dumping. But I completely understand the thrill of pooping! Bm's are few and far between for us[/quote']

This is absolute untrue. I ate a mini donut yesterday and within 10 minutes, I was puking my guts up.

Puking=not dumping. Dumping usually refers to the shooting of a food into the toilet bowl via bottom. In the bariatric hospital where I work, it is different

There are some foods that's 'shoot through' at an ungodly pace- I guess u can call that dumping, but like I said, it ain't like bypass (thank goodness) or at least not the severity of bypass... (or smell, no offense to bp people)

While we may not experience "dumping" in the same way that RNY/DS patients do, we do still have a definite connection between consumed foods being rejected by our GI system.

The bariatric surgeon I worked with previously explained it as such: The theory is - when that 80%+ of our stomachs were removed, we lost lots of enzyme/hormone production capacity. These enzymes and hormones normally help us process particular items - added sugars, lactose, gluten, different amino acids, etc - hence why a significant portion of post-sleeve patients become lactose intolerant, some for the rest of their lives.

Now here's the beauty of the body - we have redundancies built in! Some of these same enzymes are produced in the small intestine (which, when Bypassed in an RNY and coupled with no pyloric sphincter, produce the RNY version of dumping). Over time, the production facilities that are left often DO ramp up production, which is why those episodes become further and farther in between as our sleeved time increases. Some do not - see the lactose intolerant example above.

Additionally, gastric dumping syndrome can be caused simply by our body's attempt at self preservation: we put too much food (or an undesirable food) in our sleeve. Body says "WTF! Move this stuff out before it does damage!" and shunts it into the small intestine before it's had adequate time to be mixed with gastric juices, brought to the proper pH, etc. Our poor duodenum gets overloaded....and nastiness results.

Without becoming overly technical: yes, sleeve patients DO dump. Let's observe the symptoms....

"Early dumping begins concurrently or immediately succeeding a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types."

Note that the National Digestive Diseases Clearinghouse, a branch of the National Institutes of Health DOES deem vomiting in this context as a symptom of gastric dumping.

I can tell you that I personally had that experience today, over 3 bites of beef bologna. Within 10 minutes of consuming my bologna, I became pale, shaking, severe nausea, cold/clammy sweats...followed within 30 minutes by OH DEAR GOD diarrhea time with the great white porceline god in the washroom. It was not pretty.

As with most things...your mileage may vary.