Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2 Years Out Plus

Hi I wanted to hear from people that have been sleeved over 2 years. Wanted to know how you are feeling? Any regrets? Aside from eating do hou feel and function as you did before being sleeved? Im scheduled for surgery on 6/20 my mind changes from day to day. Im not sure if i am just nervous or unsure of having surgey. I had the band for three years then removed last summer. Since then i have gained 50 lbs back and am miserable. My current weight is 225 and im 5'1and am looking to be a more ideal weight for my size. Any info would be great.

Thanks

I can see why you would be apprehensive about this surgery. the lap band failed you and now is this procedure going to fail you? Well the only thing about this procedure that is going to fail you is you. This is a permanent tool, not like the lap-band, you will succeed at losing your weight permanently, but will always have to eat healthy. If you think you can eat what ever you want just in smaller portions, your wrong. You can have some treats, but need to get your Protein in, eat low fat, and eat veggies with little starches. It's doable and I am totally enjoying it. I strive at eating healthy organic foods now and so is my DH. I did try eating fatty foods and it showed up in my blood work. Dam it! I thought I had it made. I eat smaller portion sizes now and need to work on exercising. This is the best decision I have made in my life time and have to work on a daily basis to keep to my healthy eating style now. ;) This is my reality.

I'm 3 years post-op today. Have absolutely zero regrets, and I'm a band to vsg revisioner as well. I live a very normal life in maintenance, and currently into my 2nd pregnancy post-VSG. The sleeve is the complete opposite of the band. It's pretty awesome to be honest. I enjoy a varied diet in maintenance, but I ate low carb, high Protein through my entire losing phase (6.5 months). I started at 263lbs at 5'2", and got to goal of 150lbs in 6.5 months, lost an additional 23-25lbs over another 4.5 months getting me into maintenance.

I delivered my daughter Tatum 30 October 2011, and I'm due with Nugget (a boy, we can't decide on a name) on 17 October 2012.

Congrats Tiff! My biggest concern is this sleeve being like the band. I was miserable with the band just miserable. How does the sleeve take to Protein and veggies? That was such a struggle for me with the band and being that almost everything i ate never made it to my tummy i was always hungry! One minute i think i can do this and the next i'm like NO WAY! Obviously if i keep this date i will have no choice, i fear the unknown And possible rergrets and depression. But when i look out a few months and think about being better adjusted to the lifestyle, that is what excites me.

I seriously have zero food restrictions. Early out chicken was the most difficult to eat, it needs to be moist, but by 5-6 months out, food was easy. The only foods that sit heavy in my stomach to this day is brown rice, pork chops and scrambled eggs. Steak, scallops, chicken, turkey, roast, all veggies work just fine. I eat lettuce wraps weekly, ya know meat with a romaine lettuce leaf wrapped around it. Nothing fancy.

Food just works. There's no pouch/stomach, just a regular stomach that functions the same as before. Healing varies, and food tolerances vary for each patient, but most report zero food restrictions. I can eat those foods listed above, but they "sit" heavier than other foods.

Remember, what you see here are the group of people who had surgery and are responsible enough to still be a regular part of their support group. The people here will be representative of the more successful sleevers. However, it is great you are fighting to keep yourself healthy. I hope you make the choice that works best for you!

I am almost 2 years out - sleeved in 2010.

My struggles are that I can eat whatever I want. This has helped me to regain a little weight from my lowest (9 lbs ago) Post surgery is all about choices once you are healed. Because slider foods are easy (chips/candy/junk) goes in and out of the stomach with little resistance, now I can eat more than I hoped even with the sleeve. If I stick with the plan and make great choices, I don't gain weight and can even lose weight.

Decisions - good or bad food. This is what maintenance is all about.

I have no regrets save not doing this sooner for myself. Best wishes in your choice ahead.

Edit for another post: It is really hard to confess when you have gained back some weight. Ignorance is not the reason I gained weight back, my stupidity and gluttony is the reason. I allowed sweets along with unlimited sliders back into my life. Working towards losing back the weight. I am still well within normal range of weight even with weight gain. Just don't want to get out of hand, so I progress towards my lowest (Think I was too skinny though for my height)

I decided that if I was going to do this I had to change my eating habits. If you lurk around this site for very long you will see what successful ppl are doing to lose the weight and maintain it. It just goes to show that VSG is a TOOL. You have to make that commitment or your sleeve will fail (or really you/we fail our sleeve). If you know eating one cookie would be the beginning of a backslide for you then you have to realize you can never have any sweets (which are bad for you anyways). My sister had the sleeve over 2 yrs ago and has only lost 55 lbs. she should have lost more, but she could not give up sweet tea. she thinks because she had to give up soft drinks that sweet tea is okay. she uses it as comfort. Isn't that why some of us have WLS because we have gained weight from letting food comfort us? I know that is part of my problem. I have to find other coping mechanisms. This journey will not be easy but it will be worth it. Being obese shaves 9 yrs off your life if u r a female. that statistic got my attention when I began looking into surgery. So, maybe have a come to Jesus meeting with yourself and decide if you are willing to make that commitment.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am not 2 years but only a week so far i feel great already getting compliments on my weight lost 18 lbs in a week I was very nervous going in surgery and the same thoughts that you have about not sure I am glad I did it the surgery was the least part of my worries that was cake go to sleep and wake up all done with the sleeve and saying wow I did it and the hard part was over

Living with the band is a nightmare. Living with the sleeve is like living a normal life. I can eat anything I want, in smaller portions. There is not one food I can't eat. I've been able to eat normally as soon as I progressed through the post op diet.

I have never regretted having my band to sleeve revision. I am just glad I had it done as soon as I started having band problems. I know people who have had so much damage from the band, they had to have it removed and can't have any revision surgery.

I hated the band, but the sleeve has been amazing! I do have to choose to eat well. I can easily eat lots of junk, but I eat Protein instead. The only thing I have issues with is fried foods, which is a good thing for me. On occasion, I will have something I really want. Moderation is the key. I use my scale as my accountability tool. If the scale goes up at all, I cut all carbs. Right now, I just count my protein and I have been maintaining a normal weight for four months.

All of you have inspired me! I have my surgery on June 29th.......ready for the change to begin! - Addison

I'm 3 years post-op today. Have absolutely zero regrets, and I'm a band to vsg revisioner as well. I live a very normal life in maintenance, and currently into my 2nd pregnancy post-VSG. The sleeve is the complete opposite of the band. It's pretty awesome to be honest. I enjoy a varied diet in maintenance, but I ate low carb, high Protein through my entire losing phase (6.5 months). I started at 263lbs at 5'2", and got to goal of 150lbs in 6.5 months, lost an additional 23-25lbs over another 4.5 months getting me into maintenance.

I delivered my daughter Tatum 30 October 2011, and I'm due with Nugget (a boy, we can't decide on a name) on 17 October 2012.

What an inspiration! Totally needed to hear this today, thank you, and congrats on your bundles of joy!

I have not been sleeved but u all make me know that in 2 years after i am sleeved that will be ok thanks to u all

Thank u for all the replys, I hope to have my sleeve done in January. Reading everything just makes me excited, with I could get it done sooner.