Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band To Sleeve

I Have a question why are some lap bander's going back for the Sleeve??

Just curious how long did you have it and did it stop working for the weight loss. Thanks for the info in advance

Got to get this ticking time bomb out of me! I've had it for nine years now and aside from the daily sliming/vomiting I felt it was encouraging bad behaviors. I initially lost about 50 pounds (including the pre-op diet) and that took the better part of a year. But afterwards, I was yo-yo'ing for the next 8 years. I wonder if I didn't have the band whether I would have gained even more weight (I am currently close to my original weight) so I am relieved the sleeve looks like a reasonable alternative. Hopefully, it will be a tool I can use to finally get my weight under control and start permanent changes that will get me healthier.

I had problems with my lapband within 2 months of my original surgery my port flipped. so I had a replacement. Then about 12 months later I stopped losing, I stopped having restriction and they found I had leak. I went to have a 2nd port replacement (3rd operation). And after that I still couldn't get restriction--so they suspected I had a leak again.

In addition, I had horrible muscle cramping and pain from where my port was stitched in. It would literally double me over, felt like a charlie horse you get in your calf, but in my stomach port area. After it was removed, I don't have that anymore!

The sleeve is SOOOOOO much better. With the band I got stuck, couldn't eat anymore, but I was still "hungry". With the sleeve I fill up fast and I am really full. I love it. I've lost 56 lbs in 3 months and couldn't be happier :)

So glad you are happy with the sleeve now .... I am also having my band removed and getting sleeve , hope I do better too like you ....... Wish you the best 'mm

I got my band in 2005 and initally lost 40 pounds....ans stayed at 40 pounds lost for a year....then gained it back....I've been staying at the same weight every since. I went on weight watchers (per my doctor's nurse suggestion) and lost 15 pounds and couldn't lose any more...so I looking into revision....now I am scheduled for revision in 9 days!! SO excited...alittle nervous, but mostly excited

Tulipstar...just visited your blog and you are such an inspiration. And, girl, you are looking fffffaaaahbulous!

Well after reading this I'm so glad I choose the sleeve instead of the lap band thank you ladies.

I'm almost 4 years out from my band surgery. I initially lost really well nearly the 1st year out. Then I got the flu. I'm convinced that something happened that week that I was so sick.

The following 3 years I've dealt with too much restriction or not enough. Gained all my weight back and managed to stop it a few pounds over my surgery day weight. Lost some of it when I got too tight again.

Then I started feeling something wrong in my throat. My band has slipped and is climbing my esophagus. My doc told me on the 9th that it had to come out and he is advising the sleeve for me. We are hoping to do one surgery but it depends on how much damage and scar tissue there is. Otherwise I'll have 2 surgeries. Removal on the 4th and revision in August after I've healed.

I've spent the last month researching and getting used to the idea that I've got to do this again.

Tulipstar, you are what I would love to be!! I'm so happy to hear you love your sleeve!

So, I hate my lap band for lots of reasons. Fills and unfills are expensive. Ive had them cost up to $400. I never got to a sweet spot. I have the small Allergan band. It is extremely finicky. I only was filled 3ccs at the end and was sliming (puking) everything I ate. As someone else said, it encourages bad eating habits.

You still have your whole stomach with the band. I only ever felt "full" in my esophagus. (which was painful) That doesn't equate to full in my brain. I was eating healthy foods, puking them, puking them, no matter how hard I tried. So, I'd eventually just go for some cream Soup, ice cream and candy! It goes down and fills you up! Unfortunately, my anger made me rebellious and I would just overeat that crap because I was so upset and felt like such a failure with the Lap Band.

I ended up with scar tissue in my esophagus and my lap band slipped because I puked/slimed so much. It is a miserable existence. I'd tell the nurse/surgeon and they'd unfill me and we'd "start all over" (if you throw up a lot, your stomach swells and then nothing goes through). Then you have to start all over on liquids, then mushies, etc... And try to be disciplined enough to not over eat untill your next fill. Then you slowly get filled up (they can't do it all in one fill) and hope you have enough restriction, or not too much.

I lost 30 lbs with the band, but I believe it was all puking/my effort. The band was a hard tool to use. You're never able to eat in the morning, because your stomach swells at night while you're sleeping. (it happens to everyone I've ever talked to :/ )

Now, I'm unfilled totally, miserable and 10lbs over my band start weight! :( the port is very sore and if you wear jeans or anything that cuts into your waist, you'll feel it all day :(

Hope that helps!

Erika

Wow that sound horrible I'm sorry. We do learn alot from these forums

Wow! I was scheduled for the lap band on 5/25 I was in the OR about to have the procedure and my doctor opt to repair a giant hiatal hernia instead. He is now recommending the sleeve he said I would do better with that. I now have to heal for about 2 months, but I'm excited. Good Luck to you also_!!

I too was a band to sleeve revision. I lost only 26 pounds with the band over a 5 year period and by the 6th year I gained back everything plus 10! I have had the sleeve for 80 days and I have lost over 40 pounds! I am very rarely hungry and when I am I eat a few bites and I am satisfied and soooo much more energetic!

Well wishes to you "charm".