Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

USA should take a page out of Australia's handbook!

And what about Paul Hogan - isn't that the name of the "Crocodile Dundee" guy? Man I bet Aussies are as tired of that national identity as Americans are of ignorant rednecks and fat housewives! lol

Well, I think there are actually passages that do advocate killing, and I could provide some actual examples. BUT (and it's a big but).
The Qur'an justifies killing to defend Muslims from Pagan attack. Christians and Jews are not Pagans as per the Qur'an. In 1978, Osama Bin Laden was studying under a fanatic Muslim cleric who proclamated an extension of the Qur'an's "killing of Pagans in self-defence" doctrine to include pre-emptive killing of someone (anyone) you expect to attack you. It is the same basic idea that George W. BuSh used to attack Iraq. So now we have the same idiotic policy on both sides. The theory is not in the Qur'an.
There is also a lot of killing within the Old Testament, so to state that the Qur'an can be used to justify homicide, is somewhat unfair unless you make the same allegation against the Bible.
The Qur'an is by and large a retelling of the "Old Testament" with some "New Testament" thrown in and some laws to live by, including Window's rights, poor people's rights, obligations to give to charity, etc.
I think though (and this is a rehash) is religion aside, if an individual doesn't want to abide by the law of the land, they shouldn't be surprised at being asked to leave - or being imprisoned.
If they are not citizens and they advocate violent overthrow of the government, they should be deported. If they are citizens and they set the advocation of the violent overthrow of the government into motion, they should be jailed. If they are not citizens and they set the violent overthrow of the government into motion, they should be jailed and then deported when their jail-term ends.

I know I am off topic, but sorry - this is a bit of fun. Stop reading if you want to stay on topic.

From Dawg:

They also have been known to throw Yabbi's on the Barbie along with a few snags. I respect that in anyone. Even if their beer is a bit thin.

You must be drinking export Fosters - that's Americanised Aussie beer - not typical of the local brew at all.

You can blame Paul Hogan (the Croccodile Dundee guy) for the shrimp on the barbie thing. We call them prawns, not shrimp. Yabbies are disgusting version of prawns that live in the river mud - and taste like it too, no matter how long you flush them out - blech! Most Aussies I know wouldn't waste a perfectly good prawn by BBQing it. Boil in some Water, serve with lettuce and 1000 island dressing & lemon, and an ice cold VB. Just lovely. Thanks.

Rolf Harris and Digeridoos scare me.

Don't worry - he's lived in England for about the last zillion years, so you're safe from him here.

and from Jachut:

Steve Irwin scares me!

No argument here - cringe - he's worse than Crocodile Dundee.

Steve Irwin is a scary Aussie guy playing up to the tourists, although he is passionate about our natural environment, so credit where due at least for that. But he's still scary.

We must be more liberal than you Americans, we don't get freaked out if someone has a "wardrobe malfunction" on national TV, or if we see a few white pointers (bare b**bies) or beached whales (bare b*ms that is - not overweight people!) down at the beach! Heck, even our national kids show (Play School) featured a story recently where the little girl had TWO mummies... ...although I must admit, THAT little effort from Aunty (our nickname for ABC TV - the public TV channel) had a few people's knickers in a twist!

And finally, from libra:

My husband and I actually considered moving and checked into real estate in the Sydney suburbs but job relocation didn't work out. Ahhh some day you'll find me soaking up the sun on the Gold Coast!!!:P

Come and live in Melbourne - we have a great climate (where else would you get four seasons - in ONE DAY???). We are also the cultural and cosmopolitan centre of Australia. We are also the HOME of THE ASHES, AUSSIE RULES (now, THAT's football!) and THE MELBOURNE CUP. Melbournians are a lot more multicultural and relaxed than many other Aussie capitals / major cities. We have the best food culture in the country, thanks to our multicultural and creative heritage. Our bayside city is a lot more elegant and refined than the brashness of Sydney with its harbour & icons, or the Gold Coast with its baubles and tinsel. Sorry I could wax lyrical about Melbourne for hours - I am a biased of course - but I just don't think that any other Aussie capital matches up.

To us, Crocodile Dundee is an American movie. Not fair dinkum or true blue at all. If you like movies and want to see some really great Aussie humour, try and find these titles. They are all set in Melbourne, apart from Muriel's Wedding, which was set in the Sunshine Coast (near Gold Coast) and All Aussie Adventures (set in the outback).

• Muriel's Wedding
  • Russel Coight's All Aussie Adventures (TV series)
  • Malcolm
  • Death in Brunswick
  • CrackerJack (partly filmed near where I live)
  • Kenny (current new release)
  • He Died With a Felafel in His Hand
  • Kath & Kim (TV series, filmed locally to where Jachut & I live)

Find an Aussie to watch them with if you can, so you can have the jokes explained... ...and who knows, you might laugh so hard you forget to snack, get a great cardio workout and maybe even lose some weight, all while watching TV! Which is after all, what we're all here for, isn't it?!!?!!?

Cheers!

OO I missed this.

Actually I was forced to grow up watching Home and Away and Neighbours (and the flying damn doctors). I'm afraid my view of Australians has been sadly tainted. I won't ever forgive the Australians for exporing Rolf Harris and the Minogue sisters. Those should have been classified as Biological weapons and banned under the Non Proliferation treaties.

And as for Australian beer. I'm originally from the UK. I now have to suffer American beer.

Sorry about the Minogue sisters, Daddo brothers, Home & Away, Neighbours etc. We joke that our TV will explode if we leave H&A or Neigh-bores onfor more than the opening theme song. hehehehe.

Sorry also for being so smug about Aust. I know we're not as perfect as I like to think, but I truly love where I live. I respect others for feeling the same way about wherever in the world it is that they live.

Dawg - I'll have an Aussie beer in your honour next w'end!

Oh goodness, terrible news on the telly right now, Steve Iriwin has been killed by a giant sting ray whilst filming in far north Queensland. His poor family, he has two kids, one is a very young baby.

I know, I just heard it on the radio.

I actually really liked him, he was such a freindly guy (I lived on the Gold Coast years back, and bumped into him at the local shops all the time, he could talk about his animals forever! lol)

My word, that just sucks.

We make fun of him because of his madcap antics and the poor guy dies.

Well I'll be thinking about his family tonight.

I'm going to add one thing. The man died doing what he loved. I think maybe we'd all be lucky to go doing something that filled our hearts with joy.

For sure Dawg. I mean love him or not, he was passionate about what he did and there's worse ways to go than doing something you love.

His wife apparently is trecking through Cradle Mountain in Tasmania, I think it may have broken on the news before she even knew about it.

For sure Dawg. I mean love him or not, he was passionate about what he did and there's worse ways to go than doing something you love.

His wife apparently is trecking through Cradle Mountain in Tasmania, I think it may have broken on the news before she even knew about it.

If that is true, then the media has no respect for humanity or kindness.

Wait... what am I saying?

I actually have to respect a man who spends his life doing what he loves. I don't care if he was a lovable buffoon. I don't care if he made millions. He dedicated himself to his passion. Hard to argue that.

We could all die, at any moment. He will live on through many years as character.

I doubt many of us here will have that longeivty when we go.

Well it appears indeed true that most of Australia knew before his wife did. His wife has their young baby Bob with her in Tasmania, but Steve's (seven?) year old daughter was actually with him filming, he'd gone back down to film some footage for her children's television show. The news (and this was the ABC news) made it sound as though she actually witnessed it although I dont know that that's true. But what an awful experience for a young child, stuck a long way from her mother, when she'd need her most. Its just too sad.