Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

USA should take a page out of Australia's handbook!

My sister sent me this and it made me wonder if I should emigrate to Australia. Anyone know what Australia is like? Temperature, rainfall, humidity, politics, freedoms, negatives, positives? They probably wouldn't let me keep my guns. Hmmmmm.

Australians Got It Right!

(Verified on Snopes.com - see last item below - Source: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp).

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on national television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia: one the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians."

"However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a

better life by coming to Australia." "However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand." "This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle."

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom."

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!"

"Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."

"We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

"If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

Maybe if we circulate this amongst ourselves, American citizens will find the backbone to start speaking and voting the same truths!!

SEND THIS TO EVERYBODY YOU KNOW !

The original Australians were sent to Australia as a way of avoiding prison.

Many of the people who settled the US were seeking religious freedom. Should the US now restrict religious freedom?

There is a lot of difference between the history and background of the US society and Australian society.

Muslims believe in the same God as the Christians (and Jews) believe in. In is the Christians (and Jews) who are unaware of that (in many cases).

English is not the national language of the USA. The USA has no national language. It is almost funny when you hear people living in San Diego or San Francisco or Arizona or Florida complaining about English not being the USA's national language. Maybe if the USA hadn't stolen all the land (previously named by the Spanish who settled it), we would not need to have this debate.

Maybe if we circulate this enough many US citizens fed up with their perceived problems will find the backbone to move to Australia.

Muslims believe "Allah" is God ....I believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son and His Holy Spirit. It's not the same God. My God does not believe in resolving differences by killing. My God says to turn the other cheek. That's not to say He is not a God that "took out" people....but once Jesus came we are told to LOVE .....Muslims believe that if you do not agree w/ their "faith" and they cannot convince you w/ their words then you shall die by the sword....that's in their Koran. They also believe in their Koran that if you have something and they need it it's ok to take it....that would be stealing inthe Christians Bible.

I agree things weren't handled necessarily correctly by history...I wasn't there so only know details by reading. But we were founded on Godly principles and our faith. Now we are trying to take that away and I've noticed things are a bit worse than than they were a few years ago!!! More violence, more anger....

I'm not here to start anything....just accidently clicked on here and had to say that I serve a God that is not the same as Allah.....

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -78lbs :)

As a nation, we are a fairly moderate, laid back and tolerant people. Most Aussies appreciate the diversity that immigration has brought to our wide brown land. We are very good at adsorbing positive cultural attributes - but have no interest in anything that in our eyes is seen as an abuse of human rights, or a source of violence or distress to others.

We don't tolerate what we see as any abuse of human rights, nor having someone else's beliefs, especially political or religious forced upon us. It doesn't matter whether that religion is christian, muslim, budhist, bahai or whatever. Basically, if it's right for you, you're not impinging someone else's human rights, and you're not destabilising our relaxed way of life, then go for it.

One of the best things about our country is that it offers a fresh start, a new life, a refuge from the battles and disagreements of the "old country". Since our nation began, we have provided sanctuary for people to come and just... ...be. Sure, it's fun to joke about the convicts being forced here etc, but right from the very first days of Australia, VOLUNTARY immigration has formed the main building blocks of our nation.

The muslims are getting bad press because of a few militant fundamentalists who are hell-bent on causing trouble and grief. It wouldn't matter what religion these people are - ANY radical group within our society would be given equal measure if they embarked on a similar path of systematic destabilisation and hatred.

MOST Aussie muslims are not in that radical group - and would more closely identify themselves as a "typical" laid-back Aussie. This is a fact - and one that's not lost on the rest of mainstream Australia - we're not a pack of drunken yobbos - we are a smarter nation than even our own politicians give us credit for (sigh).

There is HUGE sentiment of support for the mainstream, moderate muslim society in Australia, and John Howard himself has spoken out in support of these people. It's just that there's not as much newsworthiness in these calmer stories of integration and support, when compared to the sensationalist stories of terrorists in our midst. The newsmongers have a lot to answer for in feeding the radical elements in our society, and encouraging those radicals from overseas to target our nation.

So, in conclusion, you are welcome to join us at any time - just comply with our laws... ...and leave your guns at the door.

The original Australians were sent to Australia as a way of avoiding prison.

Many of the people who settled the US were seeking religious freedom. Should the US now restrict religious freedom?

There is a lot of difference between the history and background of the US society and Australian society.

Muslims believe in the same God as the Christians (and Jews) believe in. In is the Christians (and Jews) who are unaware of that (in many cases).

English is not the national language of the USA. The USA has no national language. It is almost funny when you hear people living in San Diego or San Francisco or Arizona or Florida complaining about English not being the USA's national language. Maybe if the USA hadn't stolen all the land (previously named by the Spanish who settled it), we would not need to have this debate.

Maybe if we circulate this enough many US citizens fed up with their perceived problems will find the backbone to move to Australia.

You know, I agree that you have every right to state your opinion, but jeez guy, chill out a bit.

If the religion in question demands of its followers everlasting war until all other religions are decimated - then YES - I would support the suppression of THAT religion. Either that or the DEPORTATION of that religions' followers. If they were born in the U.S. then let them choose their new country and give 'em the boot!

During the time our country was settled, "Americans" could kill Indians and turn in their scalps for a bounty. Should we still be doing that? Of course not. The times have changed, and rightly so. Does that mean we should we put a seal on the ways things are now and never consider future changes? Ridiculous!

All of our official national documents are in english, including the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the Emancipation Proclamation - to name but a FEW. All of our laws are handed down in english THEN translated to other languages. Our currency is printed with english words denoting its value. The vast majority of the nations' road signs are in english. So we don't have a DECLARED national language, neither have we declared that we DON'T have one. I happen to be among a large percentage of U.S. citizens who think english SHOULD be declared the national language.

I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours. You come across like you think you're the ONLY one who has an education and can see inequality and injustice. You're wrong. Get over it. Just because I DO have so many rights that I should be (and am) grateful for, does not mean that I'm not allowed to speculate on things that still need to be addressed. Instead of bashing people who make statements about this country, why not just state your agenda - you clearly have one. What do YOU want to happen? Should we give the country back to the spaniards? And what ABOUT those Indians who might like to take ownership? Where do they stand in the pecking order in your mind?

As far as having enough backbone to imigrate to Australia, I'd be satisfied if our citizens would have enough backbone to work toward making the United States the greatest country it can be.

Most of the time I don't disagree with the things you say T.O.M., but I do disagree with the way you say them. You wear me out. Stop preaching PLEASE!

As a nation, we are a fairly moderate, laid back and tolerant people. Most Aussies appreciate the diversity that immigration has brought to our wide brown land. We are very good at adsorbing positive cultural attributes - but have no interest in anything that in our eyes is seen as an abuse of human rights, or a source of violence or distress to others.

We don't tolerate what we see as any abuse of human rights, nor having someone else's beliefs, especially political or religious forced upon us. It doesn't matter whether that religion is christian, muslim, budhist, bahai or whatever. Basically, if it's right for you, you're not impinging someone else's human rights, and you're not destabilising our relaxed way of life, then go for it.

One of the best things about our country is that it offers a fresh start, a new life, a refuge from the battles and disagreements of the "old country". Since our nation began, we have provided sanctuary for people to come and just... ...be. Sure, it's fun to joke about the convicts being forced here etc, but right from the very first days of Australia, VOLUNTARY immigration has formed the main building blocks of our nation.

The muslims are getting bad press because of a few militant fundamentalists who are hell-bent on causing trouble and grief. It wouldn't matter what religion these people are - ANY radical group within our society would be given equal measure if they embarked on a similar path of systematic destabilisation and hatred.

MOST Aussie muslims are not in that radical group - and would more closely identify themselves as a "typical" laid-back Aussie. This is a fact - and one that's not lost on the rest of mainstream Australia - we're not a pack of drunken yobbos - we are a smarter nation than even our own politicians give us credit for (sigh).

There is HUGE sentiment of support for the mainstream, moderate muslim society in Australia, and John Howard himself has spoken out in support of these people. It's just that there's not as much newsworthiness in these calmer stories of integration and support, when compared to the sensationalist stories of terrorists in our midst. The newsmongers have a lot to answer for in feeding the radical elements in our society, and encouraging those radicals from overseas to target our nation.

So, in conclusion, you are welcome to join us at any time - just comply with our laws... ...and leave your guns at the door.

I had a big reply all typed out, but Anna summed it up nicely.

So no one in Australia has guns? Is there no hunting in Australia? What about crime? Do the criminals have smuggled guns? I confess I am virtually ignorant about Australia. I always think of it as brown and dry, with some great coastal/beach areas. I know some of the best scuba diving in the world is in Australia. I know it's a big ol' country so it has to have varied temperatures and regions right? What about snow? LOL - I sound like an idiot! lol Now my curiousity is roused. Might have to use my computer for more than blathering on LBT!

...didn't mean to steal your thunder Sam!

DonnaB - yeah of course we do have guns, although they are very tightly regulated. You are only allowed them for legitimate purposes (police, farmers, licenced hunters etc). Private individuals have to be in a gun club, and prove no criminal record, person of good character etc before getting a licence. Very strict controls on storage, concealment (or lack thereof) etc. Semi-automatics and automatics are banned altogether. Modification of guns in any way is also banned. My brother had to surrender his in a gun amnesty a few years back - it got "terminated" - he said it was cool to watch (but costly!).

We also have very strict rules on other weapons - knives, mace etc are prohibited. The police are only just starting to experiemtn with tasar guns and capsicum spray - which is proving controversial for the civil libitarians. The customs officers are kept vey busy trying to keep those really scary looking knives and swords out of the country.

We don't have a constitutional right to bear arms the same as you Americans do - but for most Aussies, knowing that some kid can't easily find a gun and go shoot someone instills a certain amount of peace and freedom to our society. It's nice knowing that if you have to knock on a stranger's door, that they probably don't have a gun or other weapon hidden behind it...

...yeah, we have snow, green plants, weird animals etc. The snow only falls in the high country, rarely at lower altitudes. In fact, we're going to the snow at Falls Creek in a couple of weeks. Check out www.visitvictoria.com for details as to what it's like in my part of the world. Aussie Chick (Sam) lives up north in Brisbane where it's warmer year round... ...but we both live on the greener "Eastern Seaboard" (i.e. the bit between the Great Dividing Range and the east coast).

Good luck, Donna.

There are people who are determined to believe that all of us simple American folks are just politically insensitive and ignorant, instead of sure of what we believe and ready to defend our culture.

There are people who are convinced that the USA, or worse, one particular President, is to blame for all the problems on the planet.

I despise political correctness. It is at the root of the confusion causing most of the problems we are experiencing.

I for one have the spine to fight this battle, but I'll find another hill.

As a country who is considered as a melting pot of culture, we need a national language that everyone has to learn.

Why?

How can the Spanish guy across the street make friends with the Indian guy and the Korean girl if everyone insists everyone speak THEIR language and wont make an effort to speak another?

...didn't mean to steal your thunder Sam!

It's ok.. I have wicked PMS and I didn't put it quite as nicely as you did!! :heh:

It's a good thing (said in best Martha Stewart voce)

With regards to God and killing.

Actually we have to remember that the Christian God (He's mine too) is also the God of Isaac and Abraham. He's the God of David.

Killing was far from unknown to the Isrealites and was actually guided to do so by God (yes this is principally Old Testament but, that doesn't nullify it).

He also personally took care of the great flood and Soddam and Gomorrah.

So, to be fair, My God has been known to cause a few fatalities, over the years.

Now, with regards to the Law. The Law of the Land is what people need to live by, and Religious Law takes a back burner. I think the heart of the matter is that people who's values don't mesh well with the Law of the Land, would be better served to seek a land where their beliefs are better acommodated.

It wasn't so long ago that the UK instigated a "Zero Tolerance" policy for non citizen clerics of the Muslim faith that advocated terrorism.

If I come round to your house and set fire to your couch, I wouldn't be surprised if you asked me to leave.

Your burning couch is a VERY good visual!! Well said Paul!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -78lbs :)