Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there - I have not yet been sleeved, but have been researching for close to a year now. My insurance has an exclusion to Bariatrics for any reason, so I am in the self pay boat.

I am in the Dallas/FW area and have found at least a dozen bariatric surgeons that cost about the same or just a tad more than Alvarez (if the $9,500 range is correct). Actually even found one yesterday that was $8,000 and right here in my area.

From what I see, Dr. Alvarez is very impressive....his website, his youtube videos, his book, etc. and if I were to make the decision to go to Mexico I am confident I would chose him. Question is - is there a reason people chose going to Mexico if they can pay the same price in their local areas?

I realize, not all live in DFW...but there have to be comparable rates in large cities in other states. You see them advertise on TV, radio, etc. So it makes me wonder if these rates in the US do not include everything. Obviously it would be cheaper for me to travel to Dallas because of gas prices and I would not have to stay in a hotel 2 nights, just hospital and then home.

Honestly, just curious what everyones thoughts are. I have read some say their sleeve was or would have been in the 20,000 range....its amazing there would be such a difference in the states, is that possible?

Just trying to make an informed decision.....just seems if Im going to pay the same amt for surgery, it would make more sense to go local because it seems it would be less money in the long run (gas, other travel expenses, less time away from work, etc)

Thanks for any input,

Misty

I personally chose him because of experience. I live in Houston and I know Dallas has competitive prices, but I honestly wouldn't choose any other, I know Mexico has a lower cost of living and that's why it's cheaper, but his hospital is less than a mile over the border and that may be why he's a bit more costly. I got the chance to meet him last week, and that made me even more confident in choosing him. Hope that helps.

Self-pay in the Portland, OR area is $35,000 as of May, 2011. I don't know if this has changed since, but I could not do that, needless to say. I did not want to go to Mexico, so I opted for Dr Umbach in Las Vegas (Baby!) for $10,400. Worked out great and I would recommend him.

I don't know why there are vast differences, but I do know they whole healthcare/insurance gambit in these United States is corrupt. Barriatric cost and coverage is but a symptom.

I was self pay for my lap band ($10,000 -plus). My bariatric group (not the same one that did the band, as I have moved to a different city since then) charges $16,000 for band to sleeve revision. I am paying approximately a third of that in Mexico. But I also am very comfortable because Medical Tourism is nothing new and I am excited about the experience and reputation of my doctor.

And yeah, health insurance... um, yeah. My coverage is pretty excellent overall, but bariatrics definitely are excluded.

I too am in the DFW area and found these prices as well. However, it is still a cash pay price and must be paid in full prior to the surgery. I am self employed and make pretty decent money but not enough to save up $12,500 in the next month or two... sooooo I chose to go to Mexico so that 1) I could have surgery in the next 30 days (costing $6100 w/Dr Rodriguez in Juarez @ StarMedica all expenses included) and 2) have a Dr with more exerience than the Dr I was looking at in Plano .. the Dr I chose has great reviews, the hospital and staff have great reviews. I feel like this is the best decision for me but I am now searching for a family doc that is ok with seeing me for follow up visits, possible complications, etc. I think that is the biggest reason, if any, that anyone would choose to stay in the states. Docs don't really care to do follow ups on a surgery that was done in Mexico lol I'm digging though!

Good luck with your journey! I know my has been a ride so far and I haven't even had the surgery yet!!

Experience is key. I'm going to Dr Francisco Gonzalez for several reasons, one of which is that he has over 4k bariatric surgeries under his belt. Over 1k were for the sleeve. 0% mortality rate. In MX they have been doing the procedure longer. I can get financed thru care credit to have the provide done in the USA but choose experience over location

I live in Eagle Pass TX and I have a cousin who used Dr. Alvarez and is doing awesome 2yrs post op...I had mine done in SA cause my insurance did cover my procedure but Alvarez has so much experience (thousands of procedures) my Dr. Had 300+ so if insurance hadn't covered Alvarez would have been my first and only choice

In Los Angeles Area your are looking at $20k to 35K and this doesn't include the labs or ekgs. For me I'M only 3hrs away from Tijuana and paying at a lot less with Dr. Garcia, which based on the reviews he has a lot of experience and all the reviews here are great.

Good luck

Anaid, me too. I'm about 3 hours away from TJ and honestly am more impressed with the Mexican doctors - all of them!

I live in Eagle Pass TX and I have a cousin who used Dr. Alvarez and is doing awesome 2yrs post op...I had mine done in SA cause my insurance did cover my procedure but Alvarez has so much experience (thousands of procedures) my Dr. Had 300+ so if insurance hadn't covered Alvarez would have been my first and only choice

U mind me asking how much ur cousin lost ?

I went to Dr. Garcia in Tijuana and the cost was $5000 for everything except travel expenses. I definitely received the best care and it was worth every penny and the travel. This is what I could afford and would not change anything about my experience except doing it sooner.

U mind me asking how much ur cousin lost ?

He was a BIG Guy at 480's and he lost around 200 lbs. he is in the 280's looks and feels great

I'll be with Finding Myself and were both getting sleeved June 14th with Dr Kelly. I couldn't be more confident or excited!!