Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone that I tell about having surgery seems to think I can lose weight on my own without "doing something so drastic". I have honestly tried before. I have lost before,but I always gain it back plus some. Did your family and friends support you in your journey to have the sleeve?

I can relate to that sad to say. My most understanding friends have had weight issues too. I asked others to please consider praying for me since I feel I need the tool/help. Luckily we have this forum.

Everyone that I tell about having surgery seems to think I can lose weight on my own without "doing something so drastic". I have honestly tried before. I have lost before,but I always gain it back plus some. Did your family and friends support you in your journey to have the sleeve?

I am an African- American female and this type of surgery is not supported. I have been raised love yourslef and other no matter the size, shape , or color. I have lived by this advice my whole life. I agree with it whole-heartedly. However, I would love myself more if I were more active and had less pain. My advice, I only told my husband. That's it! I go online for support, and read information. I can't live for them. I live for God and I have to be alive to do his will. I hope that helps.

I am in my fifties. My family is very supportive because I think they were afraid I would die at 58 of a heart attack as my father did. I have been very lucky.

Don't let them wear you down. You need to do what is right for you. Some of us cannot keep the weight off without assistance.

I've stopped telling people! This is about me; this is for me and my health. I have a co-worker that said she'll never go out to lunch w me again cuz she didnt want to feel bad. I find that alot pf ppl are negative cuz they are jealous. They dont have the spine to do what we're doing. Just my opinion; I could be wrong..... :-)

Thanks. I am glad that we do have this forum so that we can find like minded people who really understand what we are going through

I don't know if jealous is the word. Misinformed seems better. It is a nasty stigma place on WLS. The point is you are doing this for you which means you don't need their approval. Keep that in mind on your journey to better health. You don't need others approval to want to be healthier.

I guess my answer to the negative people would be that this is your decision. The alternatives to not having this done is even more scary.

Hi there, first of all there are a lot of "I call them HATERS" mainly because WLS is misunderstood and people think it is the easy way out. Join the club, I would say that 99% of us who decided to have drastic surgery tried all the ways to lose WT. Many of us lost and gained the same 50-100 lbs over and over again. I recommend for you to be careful who you tell, because people will have a lot to say, some will be supportive and some will not. Some people like to tell the world about their procedure in order to help others, reduce the stigma, etc. However, me personally I only told a few close people, this is my medical procedure and my business and I will tell you if I know you on a personal level. Good luck to you.

My Closest family is aware of my decision and is supportive. My Brother questions if this decision is too "drastic". One of my closest friends think all I need is a good trainer..... BUT she is only 125lbs!! lol. We tend to worry about what others think of, or if they approve of this decision. a the end of the day its YOUR decision. You feel negativity from others, but dont mention it to them again.... and Keep going!!

I do the same. I come from a country town with country mind people. We black folks Celebrate everything with food..we are suppose to say we are thick..I'm bigger now then i was giving birth to my last son. I wanna feel and long the way i know i can..i say I'm not just doing this for me it is my family,friends,2 sons 9&6,most of all to be around where they don't have to take care of me over weight with Sugar as we say ..lol I'm so happy to have this site.

Hang in there girl! Everyone is telling me the same thing but I'm doin ME!! They don't know what we go through on a daily basis bein overweight. They are clueless to know how it feels inside to wanna be thin. Stay focused an always know that no one will ever love U more than U!! My surgery is in a week, sooo excited!

I'll tell anyone and I really don't care if they don't like it or agree with my decision. I cant live a lie or keep secrets, and why should I? I'm saving my own life, it's as simple as that. I've certainly tried to loose the weight without the surgery but I haven't been able to keep it off.

Plus, I've thought about having WLS many times but never really believed I could or would. And then one day a coworker told me he had bypass years ago, out of the blue. He was very matter of fact about the whole thing. I respected his openness. It inspired me to believe I could do it as well. I hope someday I might inspire someone the same way.

You may feel like you have no support now but once people see you change you will have them asking you questions and checking into it too. I use to care about what everyone thinks but I now realize I was treated worse when I was a fat person then a person who had WLS. Hold your head high and keep moving forward, you will not regret it.