Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Very Different Vsg Philosophies -- What's Yours?

After reading many posts and comments, I've noticed there are two very different philosophies on VSG success.

One school of thought sees the reintroduction of "normal" foods back into one's diet as a goal or mark of success.

The other school of thought sees the months and weeks of post-op as an opportunity to get some mileage out of being able to live primarily on Protein shakes.

What is the difference between these two? I think the second perspective increases one's chance for success and rapid weight loss because it allows you to keep your caloric intake low while meeting your nutritional needs, and it helps to re-program those bad eating habits. If all you're eating is Protein Shakes, then you're not snacking and falling into old behaviors. The more food you prematurely introduce (even if your system can "handle" it), the more opportunities you have to make poor choices. Those foods will come in time. There's no rush. But these first few months post-op are a unique opportunity to quell our food obsessions and focus on re-establishing better eating and exercising behaviors.

Many VSG programs advocate a 3-month Protein shake diet (with a few exceptions) before real foods are introduced. I'd be interested in hearing where you stand on the issue, and what kind of success you've had.

Many VSG programs advocate a 3-month Protein shake diet (with a few exceptions) before real foods are introduced. I'd be interested in hearing where you stand on the issue, and what kind of success you've had.

I have NEVER heard of this.

Me neither...Can't live on shakes alone lol...I think that's opti fast right???

Depends on your NUT and how fast you can take things. I am 1 1/2 weeks out and doc has me on soft food. It's only two bites of tuna, but this should be about managing healthy food intake and exercise output

NEVER heard of a three month Protein shake regimen after VSG. the main reason for Protein Shakes after surgery I think is because your stomach needs time to heal before you start putting regilar food into it and you need to get as many nutrients and as much protein as possible. But as soon as you are able you progress to pureed and soft foods, and the regular. You are not supposed to avoid food, but introduce it slowly. Where did you hear of a three month protein plan after VSG? I have never heard of that at all even on this site.

First, I think this is a great topic. However, 3 months on Protein Shake exclusively is too long. The purpose is to learn to eat not to avoid eating. There is already a two week pre-op requirement. I don't think it is a great idea. A good medium would be to incorporate one shake daily. after the post op liquid diet while introducing new foods.

I have NEVER heard of this.

It's pretty common at least in my area. Several of the VSG and Gastric Bypass doctors in Tucson instruct us to follow something like this:

Days 1 - 7: Two to three liquid Protein shots (like Profect), broth and sugar-free Jell-o

Days 8 - 14: Three Protein shakes a day

Day 15 - 20: Either three Protein Shakes a day, or you may choose to have two shakes and a half egg for dinner (optional).

Day 21 - Week 8:Two protein shakes, third meal can be a shake or 1/4 cup of one of the following: cottage cheese, yogurt, Soup, eggs, tofu, Beans, chicken or turkey or fish.

Week 9 - 6 Months: Same as above, with more items added, including a few cooked veggies.

So in theory, you could opt to live on shakes only for the first 2 -3 months. After that, it's definitely recommended to begin reintroducing foods so that you'll have a somewhat "normal" diet by month 6. But like I said, there are so many opinions out there on how to do this.

I was on any regular food by week 10 except bread, Pasta, and rice which was added at week 12. i can't imagine waiting til 6 months for reglar food.

First, I think this is a great topic. However, 3 months on Protein shake exclusively is too long. The purpose is to learn to eat not to avoid eating. There is already a two week pre-op requirement. I don't think it is a great idea. A good medium would be to incorporate one shake daily. after the post op liquid diet while introducing new foods.

The thought behind it isn't to "avoid" eating, but to make sure the body is getting all the nutrition it needs to properly function. When we're only able to take a few bites of tuna at a meal, we're not getting enough Protein. So as long as you're getting it from somewhere else, I guess that's fine. I've also heard proponents of this philosophy say that staying longer on the protein shakes helps reduce the hair loss issue that hits around the 3rd or 4th month. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Days 1 through 14 seems the same the diet post op I must follow but the rest is different.

Never had any Hair loss.< /p>

The actual Optifast program is done in 12 week increments, which may be what you are thinking about? Most people can't get through 30 days let alone 3 months. lol. I think the idea of Protein Shakes is that your stomach is too swollen and still healing the first few weeks. It seems a lot of people start eating real food regularly around the 6-8 week point and use the shakes as a nutritional supplement because they are unable to eat all that much. I haven't had surgery, but I would definitely want to reintroduce some foods back because I would be worried about developing food intolerances kind of like when you eat sugar after low-carbing or when a vegtarian eats meat after a prolonged period of not eating it. Your stomach doesn't like it very much.

I think most of us have done every diet known to man - I know I have. Drinking liquids for a few months in order to lose many pounds is not the be-all-end-all - hello good old Optifast. At Optifast the idea was to start to get ones body mass down as quickly as possible - so more movement and greater health would hopefully result in success. Indeed it does - but I know I will be working on my food issues for te rest of my life. If one's BMI is over 40 - the mortality statistics are pretty scary.

At first I did not mind the idea of doing just shakes and artificial forms of Protein - now that I am post surgical - I really want to transistion to normal foods as soon as I possibly can. My tastes have changed so drastically that all I can taste is chemicals. I am very much looking forward to using my new sleeve tool as a way to be healthy and make smart choices. A lifetime of crappy carbs, yo-yo dieting, and inactivity got me to 318 lbs - Here's hoping that simple good choices, daily exercize, mindful eating and hanging with like minded pals will have me in a much better place soon.

The actual Optifast program is done in 12 week increments, which may be what you are thinking about?

I'm not familiar with Optifast, so I don't know what their program is. I'm just talking about the actual prescribed diet given to many VSG and Bypass patients where I live.

And I was vegan for three years after a cancer scare and had no issues with food intolerances when I decided to start eating meat and dairy again.

We'll see when I get closer, but I know in the past when I did Optifast I loved the idea of taking out the choices, weighing etc. You got your boxes of shakes in, weight dropped fast and that was that.

I always hated points and calories and exchange diets.

Of course if "you" didn't start to intro. good healthy foods toward maintenance back up the weight went. With the sleeve tool it seems more possible to get used to the new pouch while making little choices..in the beginning. For me. Probably. After that when I feel better I can't wait to embrace making new healthy choices, me COOKING- heaven forbid. So much cool stuff ahead!

Oh, and for Optifast here, I went to a Dr. weekly who sent me home with boxes and did it for MONTHS at a time several times. It was 800 calories a day- well balanced although VLC so needed lots of Vitamins. I lost so much weight that way.

What's good is during that time I learned recipes I'll use now with making fancy shakes with SF syrups and tons of ice in a blender. IT was quite filling even with my normal stomach.