Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here And Saying "hi".

Hi everyone, my name is Steff and I was sleeved on May 8, 2012. Came across your site when I was looking for a place to chat, ask questions, get and give support and just learn to live with my new tummy. I had a relatively uneventful surgery/recovery. Not a massive loss yet only 12 lbs but, I'm grateful for it. I am still trying to learn what my body wants and needs at this point. Was told by my Surgeon this morning, to start trying foods. He said, "Take it easy, try one new thing at a time, chew completely and take tiny bites." I was kind of left with a zillion and one questions but, I am so excited to not eat MUSH that I can deal with the questions. Did well today, Mini Babybel cheese wheel, 1/4 cup chicken salad, and a half an egg. Lol, that would have been a light snack not too long ago instead of my entire day if you add a Protein Shake. Was a bit shocking but, exciting too! I look forward to meeting new people and making new friends. I appreciate advice and hope you feel free to give it.

Hi Steff my name is nancy and i myself am new here....altho i have not had my surgery yet it should be the end of june first part of july i have been buying Protein powders and trying different ones......i almost had decided i would start my preop diet erarly arount the 2nd week in june but i just dont know if i can stand it that long i am so worried about several different things i love to eat and i have gained so much weight in the last 2 years i dont know but any way congratulations to you and i look forward to learning from you in the future!!!

Hi Loca and Nancy, glad to meet others who are new.

Nancy, the countdown to surgery can seem endless some days but, it's worth it. In my opinion only, I would enjoy your pre-op as much as possible. Not suggesting binges but, I stayed at 1100-1200 cals and every couple days added in a favorite food. The liquids seem so endless after surgery.

Loca, we aren't too far apart on our surgery dates. I admit, I cheated with a bite here and there too. I was too chicken to get too crazy but, I thought about it!

Hope to get to know you both as we figure all of this together.

Welcome Steff, Im new also, I was sleeved on May 14, Im still learning what works and what doesn't...

Hello :) Welcome to VST!! This has been my crutch for about a year now. I was sleeved in September 2011. The people on here are all so supportive and informative! Congrats on your baby sleeve and good luck with the transition into "normal" food. Don't be surprised if the chicken is difficult to get down, it is one of the hardest things for our sleeves to re-adjust to!

Welcome!!!

Paramedic, we're really close on surgery dates. Have you started taking Calcium yet? I started two weeks out and it's been rough. I still am nauseous a good half an hour after all 3 doses. Had to break down and have a saltine 3 times a day it's the only thing that allows me to keep it down. Wondered if you had a brand that is working for you. Never a problem before surgery.

Paramedic, we're really close on surgery dates. Have you started taking Calcium yet? I started two weeks out and it's been rough. I still am nauseous a good half an hour after all 3 doses. Had to break down and have a saltine 3 times a day it's the only thing that allows me to keep it down. Wondered if you had a brand that is working for you. Never a problem before surgery.

I am super exited to get to know you guys and learn from all of you I have already enjoyed it so much!

Hi Emily and Mama, thanks for the welcome. Lol I love that, "baby sleeve" good way to think of it. Oh no, you are breaking my heart...chicken is my favorite! My husband is laughing at me now because he HATES chicken and I make it 4 times a week minimum.

Hi Emily and Mama, thanks for the welcome. Lol I love that, "baby sleeve" good way to think of it. Oh no, you are breaking my heart...chicken is my favorite! My husband is laughing at me now because he HATES chicken and I make it 4 times a week minimum.

LOL... its not forever!! And if you already had it then you might not have any problems. Just sometimes chicken sits "hard" in our stomachs because it is Protein dense as well as very low fat. Since you ate it as a salad, i'm sure the extra liquid helped! But when you try it on its own I would suggest slow cooking it in lots of liquids or eating it with some sort of sauce (though not much at all!). My personal favorite is roast pork, especially a dark meat cut. It went down like butter for me, not uncomfortable at all.

And yeah, i've "aged" my sleeve. The 6 weeks it was baby sleeve... then during my trial and errors in the solid food it was "toddler sleeve"... lol! Now its just my sleevie... and I am actually going to admit that I do call it that... outloud. I sometimes talk to it LOL. While i'm eating, if I have a lot of restriction one day or something I'll comment out loud to it. Kinda crazy, but I love my sleevie and its helped me so much! Best tool ever!

I had canned chicken with light mayo/Greek yogurt to moisten it further. Went down super easy. Can I try finely diced celery in it? I will keep moist in mind when I cook it for myself. Thanks for the tip.