Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone on the loser's bench. my name is Amy. I started my Journey in Feb when I got a call from a local Bariatric doctor wanting to see me after recieving a heart wrenching letter from my sister. :wub: So my sister and I went in and he was on board to help even though I was uninsured. He said I was too big to safely perform the procedure here so I needed to lose 75-100 lbs and once I did that we could move forward. He told me to call him and keep him posted to my progress that way he wouldn't have to charge me for an office visit. He hoped to meet with me again in 6 months to maybe have a better idea of when we might be able to schedule a surgery. In the meantime he set me up with the Bariatric coordinator and nutritionist at the hospital to meet with regularly. Well this past year I jumped on the HCG band wagin and had already lost 40lbs gaining 20 back once I stopped. But I learned alot while on the diet and now that I have something so big to look forward to ( a new life) I figured maybe this would give me what I needed to kick it into high gear and lose the weight as soon as possible no matter how drastic it may look to others. Also I am nothig but agrgumentative, :P andI set my goal forApril and no one was going to tell me different. So with a cal count of 500 cals or less a day and 2hrs 5 days a week in the pool I went from 550 the first of feb to 480 mid apr. When I made the appointment with the dr and he saw my progress he was astonished and shock my hand that day saying he was on board and we were doing this. My surgery was scheduled for the first wednesday in May. I went in for preop the went prior to that and the day before the surgery I get the call saying my ekg came back bad and I would need to cardio. So the next day I was there and was given a all clear by him right away after he gave me an echo, and blood work that came back fine. So my new date was set for May 16th two weeks ago today. Sofar so good. I had no complications in surgeryand have had no set backs since I got home. I am trying to just learn my new tummy. I have just started the soft food stage which from my dr includes (eggs, tuna, deli meats, refried beans) I am excited for this because I was having an awful time wanting the Protein Shakes so now I feel I have better variety. Everything I have tried so far has gone well. I did have an egg white and cheese omelet (part of one anyway) last night that made my tummy get after me a little bit, but I think it was more the speed I was eating no what I was eating. So again just learning my tummy and how to really eat right will be the key I think. Refried Beans and mashed taters do real well :) I have not been getting out and walking as much as I should (let the verbal assult commence) I know I need to, again this is something I need to just get use to. My start weight was 570 a year ago and well at 570 there is not much activity so I have become use to a seditary lifestyle and it is hard to come to terms that already that is not me. Since as of this morning I weigh in at 450 a full 120lbs since last year. Only 24 of that is post wls. So another thing I need to learn is how to get out and live. I am so use to keeping super busy with as little physical activity as possible because it hurts! Well now it doesn't so I need to just get going! Right now my only concerns are leaks I am so afraid I will do something that will cause me to hurt my new tummy and cause a leak, more time in the hosp, and more $$$ added to my bill. I am also afraid of eating too much or too little, but that where learning my tummy comes in. The first week and half I was scared to drink too much at a time because people kept saying sip sip sip so I did and I NEVER got all my fluids in. So what is a sip what is a gulp??? I discovered that I can drink normally I just can not drink like I am quenching a thirst (cup tilted back sucking down the fluid) that ladies and gentlemen is gulping (atleast in my case). As far as healing goes, I feel good. I have no real pain except muscle soreness, sometimes a sharp pain when I do stupid things like trying to stand unsupported using my tummy muscles or rolling over in bed, but I believe that is muscle too, I hope :unsure:

My incesions have healed except the spot my drain came out, but Dr just took that out last Thursday. It looks good, but not healed yet. I am super excited about this journey and excited to have a chance in my life to know what normal feels like because never in my whole life (since I was 2 anyway) have I been a "normal" size. But as my fav Author Dr Suess say " Why fit in when you were born to stand out" I don't think I will have any problem standing out no matter what size I am !!!!! :)

Amazing story. So happy for you.

wow! amazing story! thanks for sharing! If you haven't seen it already, you might want to check out www.300poundsdown.com - about lady who had sleeve surgery too. She's on here too, but I don't know her username here.

You go girlie!!! I am so proud of you for what you have accomplished so far... Can not wait to hear more!!! Keep up the good work.. you are doing Fantastic!!!

awesome story! Keep up the good work!

Congrats on your surgery. Sounds like you are extremly motivated and I am certain you will do well.

That's amazing!!! I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work~!

WOW!!! Amazing job!!!

Wow! What a story you have going on there! That is truly amazing that you were able to do what you have done, even before surgery. Can't wait to see how you progress.... This surgery is giving to tool that you need to continue on your journey, and it sounds to me like you are a very determined woman.... Congratulations on your achievements so far, and keep us posted. I am really looking forward to your posts in the future. Thanks for sharing.... :)

Thanks everyone, I am suprised you can read it with all the typo's. Sorry for all you english teachers out there, I promised I can spell, and use correct grammer, although my previous post might leave you in doubt :)

Very inspiring story! Thank you for sharing it with all of us. I look forward to watching your continued and amazing progress! To do what you did pre-surgery is so, just... strong. You are a rock star. :D

I am touched by your story. Good luck to you!!!!!

Welcome and good luck on your journey. There is a wealth of knowledge hear that you can tap any time you want.

Welcome!! You rocked it before the sleeve, so I know you're gonna rock that sleeve!! :) Good luck and please keep us posted!! :)

Nothing like determination..............Keep up the good work